110 123456
Thread
Printable Version

Smash Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Smash Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Smash Premiered on NBC on February 06, 2012

There's nothing more exciting than the opening night of a hit Broadway musical, except maybe what happens getting there. While Wicked and The Lion King pack audiences in on the Great White Way, Julia and Tom, a successful songwriting team played by Debra Messing and Christian Borle, begin work on a new musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe. When a tenacious producer (Anjelica Houston) jumps aboard, so begins the difficult task of casting the silver screen icon.

Ivy Lynn, a tough Broadway veteran, seems like the obvious choice. But enter Karen Cartwright (Katharine McPhee), a young girl from Iowa with a dream of making it on Broadway who walks in and blows everyone away. So who will get the part and begin a journey that will change their lives? It's an age-old story, but a star just might be born once again.

While everyone is consumed with putting the show together, real life has a tendency of getting in the way. Julia and her husband are in the middle of a complicated adoption; the producer's husband begins divorce proceedings which could threaten the finances of the show; and the brilliant but womanizing director could derail everything if he puts the young star in a compromising position. This will be a rollercoaster ride that culminates on opening night when the audience gets to determine whether or not the show is a smash!

In the era of The Voice and Glee, executive producers Steven Spielberg and Craig Zadan & Neil Meron (producers of Chicago and Hairspray), and songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray), bring you the blood, sweat, and tears of the making of a Broadway musical.

Source
Homepage
Link to About the Show

Discuss Anything About Smash Here

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 3-7-2013 19:41 ]

Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

Another Glee type show

Reply 3#3 bala's post

I think it's gonna be quite different, since it's not a school setting, but a broadway thing, but there is still going to be a lot of drama and a lot of singing.

Pilot

Karen was rather refreshing for the audition since she went casual but i have to say not matter how hard i try to hate this episode she really quite likeable character and on top of that she's underdog so i liked how she did private audition with some integrity and walked out. The only reason i watched this i finished watching all my daily show and i had some free time to kill so i gave this a shot. It's certainly more grown up than Glee which is great.

Reply 6#6 bala's post

Karen's audition was impressive and the way she handled the some like it hot private audition was great especially saying it's not going to happen before walking out when he tried to kiss her

Reply 7#7 codebreaker's post

I enjoyed it.  glee is too juvineile for me so I think this will be alot better.  It has enough characters to make it interesting and the casting is fabulous.

The director calling her over at 10pm and her not knowing what to expect was funny!   welcome to show biz.
I'm not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Reply 9#9 arksongbird80's post

Yeah Glee was made because success of high school musical glad someone thought making adult or grown up version for people who actually like musicals

1x02 The Callback

Derek does seem to have Ivy and Karen jumping through hoops for the role but the way Dev reacted when Karen was late was predictable and with Ivy sleeping with him i was wasn't surprised she got the part but perhaps if it gets out she might loose the part to Karen

Quote:
Originally posted by codebreaker at 2-18-2012 17:36  
Derek does seem to have Ivy and Karen jumping through hoops for the role but the way Dev reacted when Karen was late was predictable and with Ivy sleeping with him i was wasn't surprised she got the p ...
Yeah i have feel it will eventually come out but i do one question why not make her the understudy?

Enter Mr. DiMaggio

Well finding out the actor who might play Mr Dimaggio actually had an affair with one of writers is also interesting. This really felt fill-in episode but IVY thinking the reason she got the part was because she was sleeping with him suggest she feel it's wrong but if that what she has to do but asking him about his place and his excuse with Gas pipes seem a little absurd?.

Reply 15#15 bala's post

Ivy falling for the gas problem was naive

The Cost of Art

Well Ivy finding out her competition was still in the show really got to her but i have say she should be happy she got lead but it nice to see Karen actually making friends

Let’s Be Bad

Well i have to say Ivy getting cold shoulder from director and asking Karen to sing happy birthday and give Ivy pointer was tough. Look like the drama happening behind the scenes.

110 123456
Thread