Board logo

Subject: Doctor Who Season 7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers) [Print This Page]

Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-4-2012 21:24     Subject: Doctor Who Season 7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discuss Anything About Season 7 Here

Click Here For The Doctor Who About & Episode Guides

Click Here To Watch Doctor Who on VIPTV.net

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 3-2-2015 21:10 ]
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 8-5-2012 10:48

what a great banner!  Good job Jim.

Do we have a premier date?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-5-2012 10:54     Subject: Reply 2#2 arksongbird80's post

There are a few specials but no date yet

http://www.tvrage.com/DoctorWho_2005/episode_guide
Author: bala    Time: 9-1-2012 11:30     Subject: Asylum of the Dalek

Great opening episode such a shame she turned out to be one but she would of made a great companion.
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 9-1-2012 17:58     Subject: Reply 4#4 bala's post

Gr8 twist!   Poor rosalyn .  I had hope for her.     Wonderful opening but we knew it would be!
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 9-5-2012 13:31     Subject: Reply 5#5 arksongbird80's post

SPOILER ALERT:

That is the actress who is going to be the new companion.  Her name in this epi was Oswin Oswald, but it's not quite the same as the name given for the new companion.  I have to say, if it IS this character (which is possible with wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff), THAT was a great introduction.  Now I'm even more curious about her, and like that they kind of introduced her before she becomes more important, because it will make the change (and farewell of the Ponds) a tiny bit easier.  

Author: arksongbird80    Time: 9-5-2012 13:52     Subject: Reply 6#6 waterlilybarb's post

So I'm guessing he'll figure out a way to make her not a dalek I guess?  I thought she would have been a companion.  She has spunk and moxy but not brass like donna.  Nice combo of Amy and Donna though.  Or do you think someone else??

When are the ponds leaving?  I thought they had another season (this one)
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 9-5-2012 18:44     Subject: Reply 7#7 arksongbird80's post

The Ponds are in the first part of this season (and since they are the Doctor's in-laws, I expect they might show up sometime in the future), and the new companion is slated to begin with the Christmas Special.  I hope she is playing this character, as I really liked her too.  Not only spunky, but a genius to boot.
Author: bala    Time: 9-6-2012 09:35     Subject: Reply 6#6 waterlilybarb's post

Well thanks for the spoiler but like you i am curious how it work since none previous companion had back story so it rather annoying we know what will happend to her. doing goggle search reveal a lot more
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 9-6-2012 13:51     Subject: Reply 9#9 bala's post

While I'm curious, I haven't looked for more info.  Some of the info was very widely publicized, so unless someone has taken every possible precaution to avoid some spoilers, it was hard to miss them.  As for this companion, I like the ingenuity of the meeting, and look forward to the Christmas episode to see how she is properly introduced.  
Author: bala    Time: 9-9-2012 01:48     Subject: Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

So not a great episode but was certainly watchable there were just too many characters for my liking
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 9-9-2012 12:25     Subject: Reply 11#11 bala's post

I rather enjoyed it, especially meeting Rory's Dad.  I thought it was fun, and at the same time we saw a little of the dark side of the Doctor again, which we haven't seen in a while.  They are already preparing us for the departure of  the Ponds (LOL), and I really hope it isn't a sad departure.  I really like them and will be sorry to see them go, but I know it's time for someone new.  I just want them to leave and be happy.  What I REALLY want, is for the Doctor to bring them somewhere where Amy can be fixed so she can have children, and for her & Rory to leave and raise a family.  I know, I'm a sap.
Author: bala    Time: 9-13-2012 02:35     Subject: Reply 12#12 waterlilybarb's post

Meeting rory dad was great but what a way to get hijacked .
Author: bala    Time: 9-29-2012 11:08     Subject: The Angels Take Manhattan

Well this was Amy & Rory Last episode but the ending was tragic . She really proved she loved him
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 9-29-2012 19:40     Subject: Reply 14#14 bala's post

That was heart-wrenching!  I admit, I was bawling.  I will miss them a lot, but I'm sure I'll come to like the new companion when the Christmas Special airs.  I hate that we have to wait again.
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 10-2-2012 15:37     Subject: Reply 15#15 waterlilybarb's post

I'm with you barb.  I'm pretty torn up over the whole thing!!!    Unacceptable.  It was beyond sad.   I was glad to have riversong back and it was a good way for everyone to be together as a family.   But still    :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 10-2-2012 17:22     Subject: Reply 16#16 arksongbird80's post

The even sadder part is that I follow a couple of Doctor Who fan pages on Facebook, and some of the posts since the epi aired seem to make it even sadder (some of them make me teary just reading them), though the fan art is really awesome.
Author: bala    Time: 12-27-2012 11:17     Subject: Doctor Who Season 7 Christmas Special: "The Snowmen"

For those who saw it discuss it here

Author: bala    Time: 12-27-2012 11:21

Well this was good episode but having scary snowmen who melt when you think about them was rather ridiculous as the enemy . I was left rather conflicted about this episode because a part of me liked the episode and part of me didn't because it lead strange ending but i like the new assistant i like how she went looking for him instead of him finding her.

So are we meant to believe she exist in present time ?

If so she won't know him right ?
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 12-27-2012 14:06     Subject: Reply 1#1 bala's post

LOVED it!  I think we are meant to believe she exists in a modern time.  I don't know if she will know him or not, but I'm finding this introduction of a companion quite intriguing, since she has now been in 2 episodes, and still isn't one.
Author: bala    Time: 12-28-2012 13:17     Subject: Reply 3#3 waterlilybarb's post

Yes it's certainly interesting but they small problem if this is the case which they can't kill her off i mean the fact she died twice came back in different times creates a problem from writing perspective technically it must mean she exist in all time period so unless they planning make her a permanent companion which i hope in the case it would be nice but than i suppose they could replace the doctor through another regeneration?  .
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 12-28-2012 14:30     Subject: Reply 4#4 bala's post

No, it doesn't mean she would have to be a permanent companion.  She might decide to leave the Doctor and have a "normal" life somewhere.  
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 12-30-2012 06:14     Subject: Reply 5#5 waterlilybarb's post

I think she's going to be his companion and I wouldn't be surprised if they both left at the same time.  Him to regenerate and her to go off and achieve whatever.

I liked this episode.  With the christmas special I always expect the children to have a bigger role, but this was all about clara and it was nice!  I liked it alot.  I especially liked the "kiss".  Hahahahaha
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 12-30-2012 09:35     Subject: Reply 6#6 arksongbird80's post

She's definitely going to be the new companion.  I just thought Bala's assumption that if she exists in all time periods, they must be planning on making her a permanent companion for the Doctor, ie: there won't be any other new companions in future, doesn't really make sense.  

I really liked it too, and was glad it was about Clara, as we got to know more about her.  She's definitely unique, and MOST definitely quite brilliant.  I hate having to wait until April to find out more.

Author: bala    Time: 12-30-2012 10:06     Subject: Reply 7#7 waterlilybarb's post

Well your were partially right in that assumption i just wonder if she was going leave how they would do that but i suppose your suggesting wanting of her wanting to leave to have a normal life after few seasons doctor adventures make sense.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-16-2013 16:21     Subject: The Science of Doctor Who

Good discussion and some interesting points of view with lots of memorable clips
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-16-2013 16:53     Subject: The Women of Doctor Who

Another great special from BBC America with some more memorable clips
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-16-2013 17:22     Subject: The Timey-Wimey Stuff of Doctor Who

Toyah Willcox and Peter Davison among others giving their points of view was interesting and yet again more memorable clips
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-16-2013 17:53     Subject: The Destinations of Doctor Who

More great clips and great guests with their points of views
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-16-2013 18:00     Subject: Pond Life

Nice little mini episode but trust Amy to get home moments after the Doctor deleted the message
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 02:36     Subject: 7x01 Asylum of the Daleks

Save the Dalek instead of we will exterminate was amusing and unexpected and also Amy and Rory signing divorce papers was a surprise
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 03:07     Subject: 7x02 Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

Queen Nefertiti asking Amy if she is a Queen was amusing especially Amy saying yes I am
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 03:42     Subject: 7x03 A Town Called Mercy

Nice western episode but the security system saying thank you for choosing their software incinerating intruders for three centuries was amusing
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 04:40     Subject: 7x04 The Power of Three

The doctor moving in with the Ponds while waiting for something to happen was interesting as he was board stiff and trust Brian to notice their clothes had changed when they returned to their anniversary party
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 05:10     Subject: 7x05 The Angels Take Manhattan

It's probably a good thing the Doctor to rip out the last page before he realised the 1930s detective novel was about Rory written by River starting with when Rory was going for coffee but what an ending after jumping off the roof
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-17-2013 05:51     Subject: The Snowmen

Clara hiding from the Doctor after knocking on the TARDIS door while in the clouds was amusing and also saying it's smaller on the outside made a nice change
Author: bala    Time: 3-30-2013 11:15     Subject: The Bells of St John

Well a very good returning episode but storyline really hit close to home we all use wi-fi and the way they used it trap people entity was a scary thought. I have give it to writer to do original storyline we haven't seen.   .

It does seem like Cara is a lot more smarter than the doctor ?.
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 4-7-2013 06:43     Subject: The Rings of Akhaten

What a sad episode.    I had some serious tear flow in this one.  Mary was very cute.  I loved her singing.
Author: bala    Time: 4-7-2013 08:05     Subject: Reply 30#30 arksongbird80's post

I felt this was boring episode it wasn't as action-packed as i preferred
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 4-7-2013 10:15     Subject: Reply 31#31 bala's post

Boring, really?!  Wow, I didn't find it boring at all.  I thought when the Doctor was sharing his memories with whatever that thing was was really something, and then when Clara shared from that leaf (trying not to post spoilers in case someone reads this before seeing it), I was rather entranced.  I also found it interesting how the Doctor watched how Clara came about.  There is still SO much we don't know about her.  I think this time was in the same lifetime as last week, but earlier.  
Author: bala    Time: 4-7-2013 10:23     Subject: Reply 32#32 waterlilybarb's post

I did find the background at the start interesting but than when they moved to the planet i kind of didn't like it. I have admitted on many occasional i don't like musical but that didn't annoy me i just didn't care .  Last week episode i enjoyed more than this.
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 4-7-2013 11:18     Subject: Reply 33#33 bala's post

Interesting.  What really struck me in this episode was how young and old Matt Smith, as the Doctor, really seemed.  When he was sharing his memories, and going on about how he'd been there at the birth of the universe, and seen the ends of worlds - I found it intriguing and it reminded me what the Doctor really was, as opposed to some of the other episodes, which I enjoyed, but are stand alone episodes.  This one seemed important in the grander scheme of the series, even if just to remind newer viewers that the Doctor is not just a mad man in a blue box.
Author: bala    Time: 4-7-2013 11:39     Subject: Reply 34#34 waterlilybarb's post

i see what your saying but i really didn't need to them to tell me all of that but i agree newer viewers would certainly found it interesting but as sci-fi fan i already knew how old and wise he is. With him talking about his life i was like seriously do they think audience don't know he's old this character is ?.

but It was nice reminder
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 4-7-2013 12:54     Subject: Reply 35#35 bala's post

Funny how the same thing can elicit such different thoughts.  I know and am always aware of how old he is, but I do think that with a new companion - in whatever era she turns up in - it's nice to remember that the show is really about the Doctor, and that his adventures, while entertaining, often reveal more about his journey than they seem to.  Different sides of his character and personality are shown.  I also find that each incarnation of the Doctor reveals the different sides of his nature, and we are seeing the darker side a bit more with Matt's portrayal.  I love that he's fun and goofy, but I also really like when he shows that darker side, because after everything the Doctor has seen and experienced, it would be a shame if he just seemed like an odd alien popping in and out of people's lives.
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 4-8-2013 08:54     Subject: Reply 35#35 bala's post

I think it had more to do with pulling in more viewers who are not up to date with the Doctor.  They are writting for more stand alone episodes, than the suble story arcs we are use too.

I personally don't care about those people.  Watch them on netflix catch up and lets get on with it!
Author: bala    Time: 4-8-2013 09:27     Subject: Reply 36#36 waterlilybarb's post

I think it's because we different people as sci-fi fan i don't obese over small details i am more interested in overall plot rather than small things which you seem to enjoy. For me i want to know who Clara is. I am surprised to say this but she is certainly most interesting companion he ever had because he has no clue who she is or what she is that's right i don't think she's human.
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 4-8-2013 11:28     Subject: Reply 38#38 bala's post

I agree - I am VERY interested to find out who Clara is...to the point that I've taken to scouring the net for all the bits of information we've already learned about her to see if I can figure it out.  LOL!  She is definitely the most interesting companion I've seen.  I don't know if I think she's human or not.  She really is the "impossible girl".
As you can see, I DO enjoy the small details, but the overall story is most important to me.  If the main story/plot were not interesting, and the characters were not people/beings I could relate to, I wouldn't be interested in the show at all.  It's because I enjoy it so much that I find the small things so fascinating, and with Clara, there is much to wonder about.

The Doctor referred to his granddaughter in this episode.  I am beginning to wonder if Clara is the daughter of RIver Song, which would make her the Doctor's daughter (even if just by marriage).  

I think this is probably the only show I've been so intrigued with the details in a while.  When Lost was on, I was always looking for the little things, but the way the ended that series just ticked me off.  There aren't too many shows that have proper "mysterious" things in them, that make me wonder and want to know more.

@arksongbird
I've not had a chance to watch all the old episodes (from the beginning of the series) - but have watched some and enjoy them.  I don't have netflix, but I checked it out for the free week, and the old epis are not available on the Canadian version.  If they were, I'd likely subscribe for a few months, at least.  Also, I'm not new to the series, and could do with fewer stand alone episodes, but I like the parts in the episodes when the Doctor refers to things done by earlier incarnations of himself.  To me, that helps with the continuity of the series, and it makes new viewers more inclined to look into viewing the older episodes.

Author: arksongbird80    Time: 4-8-2013 11:36     Subject: Reply 39#39 waterlilybarb's post

I haven't been able to watch the 1970's episodes.  Netflix has the episodes starting in 2005.  

I missed the reference to his granddaughter. I think it had something to do with an earlier 1970 episode.....
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 4-8-2013 12:01     Subject: Reply 40#40 arksongbird80's post

The first Doctor travelled with his granddaughter Susan.  I've seen several episodes from the very 1st season, and then some from different eras.  
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-9-2013 03:43     Subject: 7x06 The Bells of Saint John

Using Wi-Fi to upload human minds into the Internet was a interesting story line as we would all be lost without it now and turning the Wi-Fi on the organiser was poetic justice
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-9-2013 04:48     Subject: 7x07 The Rings of Akhaten

Clara befriending the young girl, Merry was great as it was her first trip in the TARDIS but loved the story behind the leaf and Clara's life
Author: bala    Time: 4-13-2013 12:13     Subject: Cold war

Well trust doctor accidently find trouble on Russian submarine and finding ancient ice warrior was great but they really didn't have much room to move. Clara finally seen a consequence of travelling with the doctor .
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 4-14-2013 14:33     Subject: Reply 44#44 bala's post

i just wasnt overly impressed with this episode.  I'm glad the ice warrior was reintroduced.  Hopefully we'll see more of them.  

clara just fell flat for me.  I expected her to say something, then she wouldn't and when she did it was just ehh.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-17-2013 08:03     Subject: 7x08 Cold War

I found it amusing that as far as those on the submarine they were speaking Russian and wanting to know if Ultravox have split up was priceless
Author: bala    Time: 4-21-2013 06:36     Subject: Hide

Well i didn't like this episode it was just too cliche
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-22-2013 08:43     Subject: 7x09 Hide

The mysterious ghost turning out to be Hila is trapped in a collapsing pocket dimension was bizarre and you just knew there would be complications going into the worm hole
Author: bala    Time: 4-22-2013 08:59     Subject: Reply 48#48 codebreaker's post

They didn't explain how tardis got there because doctor said it was dangerous taking it there but Clara managed to make it but do it a second time was rather ridiculous since it was already collapsing?. They would been stuck. Do they think we are not pay attention to the episode ?. For a sci-fi show i expected better type episodes.
Author: bala    Time: 4-28-2013 10:04     Subject: Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

This was good episode until the last 5 minutes which ruined the episode because using a cliche of Kara hand to solve the problem was ridclous he suppose to be the doctor until he saw Kara hand he was at point of giving up. He suppose to be the doctor he's not suppose to give up and this really ruined what was good episode.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-28-2013 11:03     Subject: 7x10 Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Clara's face when she left the control room only to end up going back their time and time again was amusing
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-4-2013 14:34     Subject: 7x11 The Crimson Horror

Good title considering how the dead looked but I had a felling Ada would kill the creature when it left her mother an how is Clara going to explain her time travel
Author: bala    Time: 5-4-2013 22:46     Subject: Reply 52#52 codebreaker's post

look like she will dragging her kids on next adventure

Seriously if the kids told their dad their nanny was time traveller do you honest think he would believe it ?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-12-2013 07:54     Subject: 7x12 Nightmare in Silver

Porridge proposing to Clara was amusing but taking Angie, and Artie to Hedgewick's World of Wonders was bound to have some sort of complications
Author: bala    Time: 5-12-2013 09:59     Subject: Reply 54#54 codebreaker's post

Yes this ok episode you just knew kids would somehow get into trouble but doctor playing himself in chess was amusing.
Author: arksongbird80    Time: 5-12-2013 11:25     Subject: Reply 55#55 bala's post

Didn't u know the time lords invented chess!?
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-19-2013 02:55     Subject: 7x13 The Name of the Doctor

Clara seeing all the old doctors in the lead up to the 50th anniversary special was great
Author: bala    Time: 5-19-2013 03:16     Subject: Reply 57#57 codebreaker's post

Well i am not sure how i feel about this series finale yes it answered how Clara exist and i am happy we got see old previous doctors but was inputting Clara into old doctor who clips done well ?. The ending was interesting because i actually thought he was the great intelligence but it turning out to be a future doctor was a nice twist.
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 5-19-2013 10:29     Subject: Reply 58#58 bala's post

I thought the man was going to be the Great Intelligence too!  Very nice twist.  I loved how they put Clara throughout the Doctor's entire timeline, and think they did a good job of inserting her in the old clips.  

And, Matt, Jenna, and Steven Moffatt are returning next season, though I've no idea how many episodes Matt will be in.  

Author: arksongbird80    Time: 5-19-2013 15:13     Subject: Reply 59#59 waterlilybarb's post

Series finale or did you mean season!??????   Freak me out much.

It was a great finale, but it did feel very rushed.  We understand the impossible girl, but like you say lily, if Clara comes back what will the point be?

I missed the whole River Song dying thing.  Did that happen or is it a will happen?

So the next doctor is John Hurt?  Mostly this episode confused me.
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 5-19-2013 16:58     Subject: Reply 60#60 arksongbird80's post

In the UK, each season is called a series, so it's the same as season finale.  We never saw River die.  I believe, other than the 50th anniversary special, that she is done though.  Remember when they kissed, and he said they'd never done that before?  That was the last kiss for her, but the first for the Doctor - though I don't know if this one counts, since she wasn't REALLY there.

As for John Hurt, we know he is the Doctor, but we don't know when.  Matt is coming back next season, but there is most likely a regeneration in the works.  Jenna is returning as Clara too.  It's a matter of wait and see, because we don't exactly know where the story is going from here.  

I've watched it twice so far, and there's a lot of info.  I'll be watching it again.  

Author: brittmarie033    Time: 6-14-2013 09:01

Why is this episode not on the site? Anyone know where I can go to watch it?
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 6-14-2013 11:59     Subject: Reply 9#9 brittmarie033's post

None of the Christmas specials are on the site.  We keep asking, so maybe in the future they will be added, but for now, you need to find another source for them.  I watched it on television, but you might find it on itunes or netflix. Netflix offers a 7 day free trial, but being in Canada, I don't know if they have it or not.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 8-28-2013 03:16     Subject: Doctor Who at the Proms 2013

The kids anticipation when the Doctor and Clara arrived was amusing and what a nostalgic look back at some of the old clips including the black & white shows
Author: bala    Time: 11-23-2013 13:39     Subject: Dr Who : The Day of The Doctor (50th Anniversary) Special

Well i am rather speechless after watching this episode i really can't believe they did this because they have just rewritten the back-story of Dr Who which is rather alarming considering the consequence of this situation from science fiction point of view yes this was fantastic episode but the fact they never show ripple effect of change the history really annoyed me.

I really hope they cover this in future episodes because changing his back story to where he never destroyed his home planet will certainly create a different dr who to current dr who.

A very cleaver use of 400 years calculation but it really took some liberties with the fact they use it 3 times for 3 time calculation was pushing it because no system could handle that much system information without crashing sonic screwdriver  ?.

Sorry i understand this was for entertainment purposes but if you use common sense you can see problems with certain part of the storyline.  

Overall it was very enjoyable episode to watch
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 11-23-2013 21:44     Subject: Reply 1#1 bala's post

I loved it, and thought it didn't cause any problems that can't be explained in future episodes.
Author: bala    Time: 11-24-2013 00:15     Subject: Reply 2#2 waterlilybarb's post

Yes i hope they do explain some of things that happened but i think i was expecting everything to get wrapped up like they normally do on special episodes.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 12-7-2013 06:52     Subject: 50th Anniversary Special: The Day of the Doctor

This being the 50th anniversary special it had to cover the history of the Doctor and the TARDIS being transported by helicopter was amusing and Tom Baker making an appearance was nice

Welcome to FriendVista.com (http://www.friendvista.com/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0