Board logo

Subject: The Americans Season 1-4 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers) [Print This Page]

Author: codebreaker    Time: 12-5-2012 08:32     Subject: The Americans Season 1-4 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

The Americans Premieres on FX on January 30, 2013

The Americans created by Joe Weisberg and starring Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys and Noah Emmerich, is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Phillip (Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Russell), who have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity, grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Complicating their relationship further is Phillip's growing sense of affinity for America's values and way of life. Tensions also heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan (Emmerich), an FBI agent working in counter intelligence.

Source
Homepage

Discuss Anything About The Americans Here

Author: bala    Time: 1-31-2013 03:49     Subject: pilot

This was fantastic start to a series and it been a while since i was this excited for a new show. This has been best pilot i seen this year while this is early in 2013 i don't think any series has become this close. I love how fast paced this series unlike homeland which i found quite boring this series has so much potential i just hope it get a second season.

I love the fact that these Russian spies are kind of having marriage trouble because they can't leave each other and with a wife like that i am surprised how patient he is. Keri Russell was excellent in this series and i was impressed how much restrain she had when captured that man who raped her but look on the husband face when he found out was priceless and seriously what with sound track to love making i just couldn't stop laughing at the song. it was very cheesy love song

Having FBI agent move opposite to them certainly made this more interesting
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-1-2013 11:33     Subject: 1x01 Pilot

Considering what Philip and Elizabeth are doing bringing the guy to their family home in the trunk of the car was risky but what he did to Elizabeth in the passed he had it coming and I was glad he went after that creep in the shopping centre that cracked onto Paige
Author: bala    Time: 2-1-2013 12:18     Subject: Reply 9#9 codebreaker's post

This is what i like about the episode he did a good thing but he's still Russian spy but his wife is certainly more loyal to the cause i just can't wait to see how it will turn out
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-4-2013 02:07

This has now been added to the flash site
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-8-2013 05:13     Subject: 1x02 The Clock

The unwilling maid risking her sons life by not returning the clock was crazy but her brother attacking Philip was amusing and Stan getting his first asset should be interesting
Author: waterlilybarb    Time: 2-8-2013 05:33     Subject: Reply 8#8 bala's post

I watched the pilot the other day on the site and also found it to be quite well done, as well as very intriguing.  If the rest of the episodes are as good as this one, it should do well.  Some elements put me in mind of Alias, which was the last spy show I really enjoyed.
Author: bala    Time: 2-14-2013 13:13     Subject: Gregory

Well i have say when we found out who Gregory was a surprise but new boss should be interesting
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-15-2013 12:31     Subject: 1x03 Gregory

How embarrassing for the FBI loosing the woman and baby but how they got her without being seen by any of the six agents following her was impressive
Author: bala    Time: 2-21-2013 10:58     Subject: In Control

It's a good thing they sat on the information otherwise it would become world war 3 and fact they are falling in love with other is rather sweet
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-22-2013 11:43     Subject: 1x04 In Control

That was close call when Stan pressures his source within the Rezidentura to find out if the KGB was responsible and his partner not warning him didn't help
Author: bala    Time: 2-28-2013 09:50     Subject: COMINT

Just when you think you got everything figure out they add more twist like FBI agent falling for the informant learning Russian to impress her but look on his face when she told him what she did for the information was priceless. That's first time he see him actually become concerned about what he is asking her to do.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-1-2013 12:32     Subject: 1x05 COMINT

That was a close call in the FBI's car and that guy about to hit Elizabeth with the buckle on his belt was disgusting
Author: bala    Time: 3-7-2013 06:57     Subject: Trust Me

Well i had feeling that was a test but i liked how she reacted when she found drowning her handler but i did find it strange they didn't backup plan with them MIA for her kids but good thing she now asked gergory to keep an eye on them but why wasn't he keep an eye on them before ?.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-9-2013 10:57     Subject: 1x06 Trust Me

Paige hitch-hiking was dangerous but feeding the ducks on his way to work was bizarre and they should of run a lot earlier but Henry hitting him with a beer bottle was great and Elizabeth hitting their handler after being interrogated was a surprise but the car crash to cover their cuts and bruises was quick thinking
Author: bala    Time: 3-14-2013 03:50     Subject: Duty and Honor

This was a weak episode since not much happened but i was right about him falling for his asset and her saying it's ok was just so strange .
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-16-2013 03:59     Subject: 1x07 Duty and Honor

Philip finding out he has a son with his old flame was interesting but I didn't understand why he slapped her like that until it became obvious they were setting up the other guy
Author: bala    Time: 3-16-2013 06:22     Subject: Reply 29#29 codebreaker's post

The question whether she was lying to him or not ?

When he met her train station he asked whether she was lying that the son is his?

It does look like Elizabeth is trying make the marriage real
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-3-2013 12:41     Subject: 1x08 Mutually Assured Destruction

The Prostitute distracting the agent by taking him in the shower was disturbing but I doubt she knew what was going to happen afterwards, if only he had left the radio in the car
Author: bala    Time: 4-4-2013 09:06     Subject: Safe House

Wow dealing with separation is hard enough but when you accidentally kidnap an FBI agent and kill him i have to say separation was reason for this whole situation if she hadn't kicked him out of the house none of this would of happened.
Author: bala    Time: 4-11-2013 04:27     Subject: Only You

Gregory taking the fall for the FBI agent death was a surprise but to actually go out and start a gun fight with the cops
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-12-2013 08:48     Subject: 1x09 Safe House

Paige blaming her mother for the breakup wasn't what I expected and it's tragic what happened to Chris but it was self defence and all because he was jealous of who Philip was sleeping with
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-12-2013 09:40     Subject: 1x10 Only You

Making Gregory the fall guy for Chris's death was cruel but allowing him to go out with a bang in a gun fight was a surprise
Author: bala    Time: 4-18-2013 03:01     Subject: Covert War

Well kidnapping the guy was amusing but letting him go at end was a surprise. Phil missing what Elizabeth was trying to do at end was sad because she wanted him to move back but he bought an apartment and than having a go at granny was great.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-21-2013 01:50     Subject: 1x11 Covert War

Sandra may have been drunk but she was right about Stan and all his lies about working late and kidnapping Richard was a risky move but letting him made it all a waste of time
Author: bala    Time: 4-21-2013 02:09     Subject: Reply 41#41 codebreaker's post

He really managed talk out of the situation but i did like the way she asked do you want to ........................ .
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-21-2013 02:15     Subject: Reply 42#42 bala's post

The crossword clue to get Richard in the bathroom was clever
Author: bala    Time: 4-21-2013 02:20     Subject: Reply 43#43 codebreaker's post

You would think as an FBI analyst he should more aware and asked himself why is this women firt with him. Elizabeth disguise was fantastic because she really did look like a nerd.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-26-2013 01:32     Subject: 1x12 The Oath

Philip proposing to Martha in the hope she would plant the bug for him was a cruel thing to do and looks like Nina is going to become a double agent which should be interesting
Author: bala    Time: 4-26-2013 03:17     Subject: Reply 46#46 codebreaker's post

I never really trusted Nina but you could tell she had the potential to become a double agent.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-2-2013 12:13     Subject: 1x13 The Colonel

Being ordered to go through with the meeting that could potentially be a set-up was crazy and Claudia getting her own hand dirty by killing the guy was surprising as she casual sat and chatted while he bled out, the kids stopping with Stan and his wife I found amusing as he has no idea it's Philip and Elizabeth he was looking for
Author: bala    Time: 2-27-2014 13:11     Subject: Comrades

Good start to second season but paige being suspicious and get an eyeful when trying sneak into her parent room was amusing . What a way introduce new couple just have them disappeared while their kids got killed was sad
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-4-2014 11:35     Subject: 2x01 Comrades

Paige did look embarrassed at breakfast after walking in on her parents the night before and it was lucky they gave their kids money for the rides while they seen the blood bath in the hotel room
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-16-2014 12:28     Subject: 2x02 Cardinal

Philip getting electrocuted trying to get the box out the floorboards was amusing and that was a close call for Paige almost getting caught using the phone
Author: bala    Time: 3-16-2014 12:44     Subject: Reply 53#53 codebreaker's post

I was surprised how he got captured by the asset considering how well they been doing mission
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-16-2014 12:57     Subject: 2x03 The Walk In

Paige snoops into her mother's family background was impressive as she was able to track down Helen not knowing who she really is
Author: bala    Time: 3-16-2014 13:05     Subject: Reply 56#56 codebreaker's post

The fake grandma pretending not to know paige and tell Phillp was interesting but you know the girl on bus -do you think she was spy planted to keep an eye on paige ?  .
Author: bala    Time: 3-20-2014 09:38     Subject: A Little Night Music

Paige is really testing her parents and it going to be interesting how they hope being spies with being a parent
Author: bala    Time: 3-27-2014 07:15     Subject: The Deal

Well this is getting rather boring this used to be such an interesting show but this season has been disappointing so far.
Author: bala    Time: 4-6-2014 00:09     Subject: Behind the Red Door

Well this was taking role play to whole another level but she certainly got more than she bargained for
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-9-2014 10:52     Subject: 2x04 A Little Night Music

Elizabeth releasing his tension in order to get the files was a small price to pay for him risking his life and that has to be the worst attempted abduction ever
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-9-2014 11:29     Subject: 2x05 The Deal

Martha telling Elizabeth how good Philip was in bed was amusing and Philip getting attacked when taking him to the toilet was predictable but having to wipe his ass was disgusting
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-9-2014 11:57     Subject: 2x06 Behind the Red Door

Elizabeth wanting to role play after what Martha told her was a bad idea as every woman has her own tastes sexually and what Nina did was surprising
Author: bala    Time: 4-10-2014 09:35     Subject: ARPANET

Well Nina learning how fool lie dector was interesting and planting a bug on ARPANET was more tricky than they thought because they didn't understand technological impact of that network.  
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-22-2014 10:37     Subject: 2x07 ARPANET

Nina had to agree to do the polygraph exam if she wanted to continue as a double agent but it was a good job she was taught how to pass it first and Philip was lucky he had the bin to dispose of the body when he was caught in the computer lab
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-22-2014 11:35     Subject: 2x08 New Car

You just knew Lucia was going to go it alone after she told Elizabeth she wants him dead but him killing her was tragic
Author: bala    Time: 4-24-2014 12:04     Subject: Reply 71#71 codebreaker's post

Yes but at least he gave her a chance first time calling Elizabeth
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-3-2014 02:26     Subject: 2x09 Martial Eagle

What a waste of lives just for a couple of photographs especially the kid who spotted the camera but why this impacting on Philip this time was bizarre, Philip playing that tape to Martha was a great way to get her back on side as she was starting to loose faith, I thought Philip was going to kill the priest but when he said for $600 it did sound ridiculous but the shouldn't of taken the money without checking first
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-3-2014 02:58     Subject: 2x10 Yousaf

Paige wanting to go to bible camp wasn't a surprise but Elizabeth objecting instead of Philip was a surprise and forging her mothers signature was a bad idea, Annelise's reaction after sleeping with him was surprising as she looked like she was enjoying it
Author: bala    Time: 5-3-2014 08:08     Subject: Reply 76#76 codebreaker's post

She hated what she has become at first she was excited but it clear by the end she changed her mind and i actually thought Elizabeth was going walk in on them at the end
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-22-2014 01:51     Subject: 2x11 Stealth

Kate leaving a message on the toilet roll tube was smart but I thought Elizabeth had noticed the toilet seat up as that's a man's thing and Paige asking nicely about the rally was mature
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-22-2014 02:27     Subject: 2x12 Operation Chronicle

Elizabeth rushing to protect Jared was lucky as he was being followed and forcing Stan to make an impossible choice by roughing up Nina was surprising but he only has himself to blame
Author: codebreaker    Time: 5-22-2014 02:57     Subject: 2x13 Echo

So much for trying to protect Jared when he saved them instead but his dying words were surprising and being ordered to bring Paige in was a surprise but she is close to finding out the truth by herself
Author: bala    Time: 5-26-2014 07:40     Subject: Reply 82#82 codebreaker's post

Yes Jared confession certainly made things a lot more clear as what really happened but Paige is already close to distrust them but Elizabeth  thinking about at end was not surprising . The next season should be interesting to see if they will bring her into it or not.
Author: codebreaker    Time: 10-11-2014 01:58

The Americans: Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys Season 3 Interview
The Americans: Could Paige Become a Spy in Season 3?
The Americans: Annet Mahendru & Noah Emmerich Season 3 Interview
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-5-2015 04:09     Subject: 3x01 EST Men

The way Elizabeth used the napkin to wipe her prints off the glass and table was smart but that was too close a call with the FBI especially loosing the list of names in the fight, Philip using the girls murder to his advantage was tragic but necessary
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-5-2015 04:10

The Americans 3x02 Promo "Baggage" / This Season on The Americans
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-5-2015 04:39     Subject: 3x02 Baggage

Breaking the girls body so they could get her in a suitcase was disturbing but the photo is a great way to make sure he follows orders
Author: codebreaker    Time: 2-5-2015 04:44

The Americans 3x03 Promo "Open House"
Author: bala    Time: 2-5-2015 06:47     Subject: Reply 87#87 codebreaker's post

Yes that was disturbing but making him help them was great because he created that mess.
Author: bala    Time: 2-12-2015 12:24     Subject: 3x03 Open House

Another close call for  Elizabeth i don't know how much longer she avoid getting captured
Author: bala    Time: 2-19-2015 12:09     Subject: 3x04 Dimebag

Getting ambushed by their daughter about getting baptised was a surprise and using a young girl turn her into asset does look a bit creepy
Author: bala    Time: 2-27-2015 09:15     Subject: 3X05 Salang Pass

I don't know about this season so far has been boring it start off great but last 2 episode were boring which makes it difficult to comment on .Seduce a teenage girl to get information is awful but consider you also have a daughter the same age made this mission more complex but seeing the training in the flashback was disturbing
Author: bala    Time: 3-6-2015 12:31     Subject: 3x06 Born Again

I am not liking the way this season is going yet i can't stop watching
Author: bala    Time: 3-12-2015 12:59     Subject: 3x07 Walter Taffet

It was about time the FBI finally found the bug that she planted in the office but i got hand it to her she got away with it smoothly but not telling him they found bug will certainly make his job harder   .
Author: bala    Time: 3-26-2015 08:50     Subject: 3x09 Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?

Sorry i forgot to comment on last week episode but them burning a person alive was a little too much to take in but it look like that Martha is willing continue giving him information which was a surprise but Elizabeth having a difficult choice make about FBI old lady was sad but i suppose let her killing herself was a nice thing to do considering the circumstances
Author: bala    Time: 4-2-2015 07:30     Subject: 3x10 Stingers

Paige confronting her parent making reveal who they are was interesting but i liked the way she handled it without being angry
Author: bala    Time: 4-9-2015 07:54     Subject: 3x11 One Day in the Life of Anton Baklanov

Paige having dozen of question for her parents were predictable and the fact paige knows the question will she become a spy or not?.
Author: bala    Time: 4-24-2015 11:22     Subject: 3x13 March 8, 1983

Paige seeing her grandmother with Elizabeth was nice but i can't believe Paige told her pastor that her parents are Russian spies make me annoyed at her as her parents told her what will happen . What a idiot she is i hope she will see consequence of her action
Author: codebreaker    Time: 9-18-2015 11:54     Subject: Reply 61#61 bala's post

Elizabeth wouldn't of stood a chance if she was discovered with that equipment in the car and going back out so soon was risky
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 06:12

The Americans 3x04 Promo "Dimebag"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 06:12     Subject: 3x04 Dimebag

Stan trying to get Philip to go up instead of him was understandable but Tori giving Stan her number was amusing and Philip getting the girls fake ID's was a great way to gain their trust, the silence when Paige said she wanted to be baptised was awkward and Philip getting Paige the same album as Kimberly was devious
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 06:13

The Americans - 3x05 | Promo "Salang Pass"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 10:39     Subject: 3x05 Salang Pass

You just knew Philip would play along with Kimberly's advances but getting her stoned so he could go snooping was sneaky and I'm not surprised Elizabeth was feeling a little upset because of her age, Philip taking Paige dress shopping was surprising
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 10:41

The Americans - 3x06 | Promo "Born Again"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 12:01     Subject: 3x06 Born Again

Stan taking Tori for diner at the Jennings rather than a romantic diner for two was bizarre and Philip refusing to take a bath with Kimberly was surprising as his accomplish trying to bug the place had no idea how long she would be but getting the job done without the need to sleep with her was impressive considering his past
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 12:46     Subject: 3x07 Walter Taffet

Elizabeth telling Paige they used to be activists is one thing but if or when she finds out they are spies I think she will be devastated and placing the bug in the pen was always running the risk of the ink running out but Martha played a blinder destroying the recorder so quickly
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 12:48

The Americans 3x08 Promo "Divestment"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 14:05     Subject: 3x08 Divestment

Martha being questioned about the pen was understandable but the way she handled the questions was impressive and watching the guy being burned alive was disturbing but the other guy should think himself lucky to get out alive, Paige checking out Greg at the library was surprising and Martha regretting what she had done was sad as it was all Clark's idea
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-17-2016 14:07

The Americans 3x09 Promo
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 00:56     Subject: 3x09 Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?

Elizabeth's trainee killing the possible witness was surprising but almost getting away after being shot in the head was unbelievable and Elizabeth forcing the old woman to kill herself was sad
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 01:00

The Americans - 3x10 | Promo "Stingers"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 02:10     Subject: 3x10 Stingers

It's a good job Kimberly is a wild child as it makes changing the recordings easier and Paige's imagination about what her parent really do was great as any of them could of been true but she handled the truth better than I thought and I hope she doesn't tell anyone as they will end up dead
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 02:12

The Americans 3x11 Promo "One Day in the Life of Anton Baklanov"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 03:16     Subject: 3x11 One Day in the Life of Anton Baklanov

Paige was bound to ask questions about her strange childhood memories and Nina struggling to figure out her next steps was understandable after that close call knowing his sons name
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 03:19

The Americans 3x12 Promo "I am Abassin Zadran"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 06:29     Subject: 3x12 I Am Abassin Zadran

Paige wanting to stay at the pastors house midweek was pushing her luck and Stan visiting Martha at home could of been awkward if Clark had been their, I hope Paige goes to see her grandmother and Clark revealing his true identity to Martha was a surprise
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 06:31

The Americans - 3x13 (Season Finale) | Promo "March 8, 1983"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 07:23     Subject: 3x13 March 8, 1983

Paige getting to see her grandmother was nice and I had a feeling Stan's plan to save Nina would lead them to thinking he planted the bug but Paige telling the pastor her parents are Russian spies was disappointing as she knows what the consequences could be
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 07:24

The Americans Season 4 Extended Promo
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 10:00     Subject: 4x01 Glanders

Elizabeth taking the vaccine was risky as that could of been anything in the needle and Martha was bound to be upset after Philip told her about Gene but still collecting information was great, Philip's flashback as a child was disturbing
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-18-2016 10:02

The Americans 4x02 Promo "Pastor Tim"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-25-2016 10:56     Subject: 4x02 Pastor Tim

About time they found out Paige told the Pastor and how to handle it without driving Paige away is going to be awkward but glad she also told them
Author: codebreaker    Time: 3-25-2016 10:57

The Americans 4x03 Promo "Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow"
Author: bala    Time: 3-25-2016 12:46     Subject: Reply 93#93 codebreaker's post

I am kind of glad she told them because now they can't kill him
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-4-2016 06:51     Subject: 4x03 Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow

Paige having to try and keep the Pastor on side is going to be hard as he's already told his wife and taking them away would of been a good idea but you just knew something would go wrong and looks like time is running out for Martha
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-4-2016 06:51

The Americans 4x04 Promo "Chloramphenicol"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-7-2016 04:54     Subject: 4x04 Chloramphenicol

You can understand why Paige thought the sudden change of plans was her fault and Henry getting a little too friendly with Stan could make him suspicious, I should of guest Martha's diner date was a decoy to search her place and after all Nina did they executed her just like that was tragic
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-7-2016 04:55

The Americans 4x05 Promo "Clark's Place"
Author: codebreaker    Time: 4-16-2016 08:40     Subject: 4x05 Clark's Place

Philip having to consider his life with Martha was bound to happen sooner or later especially with her being investigated

Welcome to FriendVista.com (http://www.friendvista.com/forum/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0