Thread
Printable Version

Grey's Anatomy Season 5-8 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 143#143 studiojek's post

Actually schizophrenia would explain that type of hallucination better than a tumor would.  Also with a tumor hallucination would be a later symptom not an initial symptom.

It seems like GA can only go for so long without going crazy.  Just when the show seemed to be getting back into a groove of solid stories they decide to complicate everything.  This show is at its best when it is about young interns and residents learning to become surgeons.  That is what the idea of the show was but they always seem to want to complicate things unnecessarily.  A story arc for 5 episodes (according to the reports) with a dead guy.  SERIOUSLY?......SERIOUSLY!  They just let things spin out of control and then there are no consequences.  Steal a heart, cut an LVAD wire, probation.  Operate on someone illegally and nearly kill one of your fellow interns, get a jolly stern speech.  I also wonder why, with such a large cast, they always seem to need to add more characters.  There isn't enough to write about with the current cast that they had to add Saddie and Owen.  They just don't know when enough is enough.  IMHO season 2 was the best.  Great stories, great characters and there was more emphasis on the weekly cases all served up with the GA quirkiness but before it all went crazy (like this post)

Reply 161#161 imarielle626's post

Mer asking where's Derrick was funny and there are still some funny bits and some good scenes.  Mark with the young girl and that whole story was good.  The fecal transplant and the hypochondriac wife was also a good story and amusing and there should be more of those types of stories but they just have an overwhelming compulsion to add these crazy twists to the character's lives.  Izzy getting sick might have been a good plot but a physical relationship with a dead guy!  I don't know why they think this is what we want in order to stay interested.  Crazy for crazy's sake isn't creative in my books.  I want to know what is up with Izzy but I also cringe at what stupid thing they will come up with.  Medically, schizophrenia is the only thing that really makes sense, but with Grey's you never know what they will come up with.

Auugghh!!  Does the crazy never stop.  Is this new cardiovascular surgeon joining the cast?  There aren't enough crazy people in that hospital already?  It just never seems to stop.   Sure there are tactless doctors, but once again Grey's just has to go into crazy land to get this one.  Another intern sleeping with an attending, something that almost never happens in real hospitals and when it does always ends with both people fired.  On GA it's a regular occurrence that never has any real consequences and is just jolly good fun.  It seems with the the writers that there is never enough crazy.  Why do we need another crazy doctor.  Isn't there enough strange stuff going on yet.  I liked the story with the voice box reconstruction and the two sisters.  I also liked the first solo surgery story.  We need more of that and less of the crazy.  It's just out of hand.

Reply 176#176 bala's post

Of course it's all about ratings and I, for one am about fed up with GA.  As things are going it is just getting too dumb for me and if it doesn't settle down a bit in the next couple of eps, then I am finished with the show.  Also if that new heart surgeon crazy lady becomes a regular then I'm gone as well.  Writers try to make shows exciting to entice viewers but GA is trying so hard to top itself it has just crossed a line and exciting and dramatic has become dumb and silly.  They traded all the realism and drama that the show had created for some wacky story lines.  I just can't believe they don't have enough going on with there own main characters that they feel a need to add even more.

Reply 193#193 funny-girl101's post

I agree.  Season 2 was the best season.

Everyone on this show has no control of their emotions.  It's crazy and has become the common thread of the whole show.  There is nothing crazy enough, unethical enough or stupid enough that they won't due if they are under some emotional stress.  We don't even blink anymore when they kill a patient, steal an organ and have sex with interns.  The Izzy thing has dragged on way too long.  Get on with it already!

Reply 209#209 imarielle626's post

Anemia is one of the most misunderstood terms in medicine.  Anemia is not a diagnosis, it is a complex of symptoms.  There are over 30 different types of anemia and each one indicates a different set of possible pathologies.  Not investigating minor anemia is one of the most common errors of inexperienced physicians.  Even simple iron deficiency can indicate serious marrow problems and be the first sign of several types of cancer.  Even this is a gross oversimplification of things but I don't want to bore you any more than necessary.

This show has gotten downright silly.  To begin with, you don't just become a pediatric surgeon on some whim after you have finished your residency.  You need to begin rotations in your third year to qualify for the fellowship after you sixth year.  It is by far the hardest program to get into and you need certain extra credentials to apply.  It is very different from adult surgery and the skills and knowledge are very different .  Liking kids isn't enough.   I am sick of everyone on GA having no control over their emotions.  Everyone's reactions are so extreme.  Derek may have caused a problem with a patient and now he is ready to cut half her brain out.   A whole lifetime of training and convictions out the window in one stressful moment.   Who does that?!  Mark just has to sleep with the one person his oldest friend told him not to but just can't control himself(it seems the whole intern and attending problem isn't an issue at Seattle Grace anymore).  Then two grown men have to punch each other because they are stressed and have no control over themselves.  Even the reaction of the husband isn't normal.  I have been a surgeon for 15 years now and I have never seen anyone call their doctor a murderer.  I have had to tell people that they lost their child more times than I like to think about and nobody ever had such an extreme reaction.  I have had people blame me but never have they called me a murderer.  It just doesn't happen.  I also think the Anne Franke comment was in very poor taste.  I don't see any humour in the comment at all.

Reply 222#222 shinny's post

What most people don't realize is melanoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system.  The damage to the skin becomes a melanoma upon taking hold of the lymphatic system or a lymph node.  In some cases the cancer can start in the lymphatic system and present as a melanoma after invading the nodes.  As such, melanomas can cause CNS symptoms.  Melanomas also affect the melamine that make up the mucous membranes around the body and that would definitely cause CNS and brain involvement, but survival from that type of melanoma is rare.

Thread