Thread
Printable Version

Parenthood Season 1-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 35#35 codebreaker's post

I'm liking this season, but I really don't like the pairing of Sarah with Ray Romano's character.  He's fine as someone to work for, but any time they even kiss it makes me cringe.  I want her to get back with Mark.  

The storyline of Kristina's cancer is a good one.  I got a kick out of Adam trying to get her a wig, especially the one he chose saying it looked just like her hair - while his sister was telling him to let Kristina pick one out herself (a failed attempt at telling him his choice sucked). lol

Not sure if anyone has seen the new episode, so I won't post about in case I post spoilers.  It was a good episode, with some real dramatic moments and some moments that just made me LOL.  It's the combination of the drama with humour that makes me love this show.  Life is so rarely completely somber or hilarious.  Humour is often found in the most unlikely places, and I like that the show reflects that.  The writing, as well as the acting, is very well done.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 37#37 codebreaker's post

I agree, Victor was way out of line, but they also need to do something about Sydney.  She's an absolute brat, and keeps instigating problems so Victor will either lose his temper or get in trouble some other way.  

Max made me laugh.  His non-chalant way of coming out with the most personal details is amusing, but also informative for those not familiar with someone who has Asperger's.  The fact that he seemed very aware of how much information he was ready for struck me.  I do know people with Asperger's, each on varying levels of the spectrum, but not having had overly personal discussions with them (since I was never in such a position), made me think more of some of the extra things parents need to go through when their child has any developmental issue that makes them different.

Amy & Drew just made me sad, and also made me yell at the TV about the plethora of birth control methods available, yet teen pregnancy is still a huge issue, even for bright kids.  I know it has a lot to do with their idea that "it won't happen to me", as I've seen it all too often in real life, but it makes me want to slap them upside the head and remind them that they are not invulnerable to consequences.  UGH!

Reply 39#39 bala's post

Re: Drew going to his Mom, I think because she had already approached him and was concerned that there was something going on, he knew he could go to her.  Also, since it was after the abortion, he probably had a lot of mixed feelings and was clearly upset, so I think going to his mother was natural.  I know a lot of young men (especially from single parent families) who would go to their mothers in such a situation.  

As for Asperger's, there is such a wide variance on the spectrum of how it affects people, and Max seems on the high end, so I think he will eventually have feelings for girls.  I do know that he will have a harder time understanding them, and also coping with any rejection he might face when that time comes.  I agree though that anything that changes a child's life from what is perceived as "normal" often saddens parents because they don't want their children to get hurt.

I understand that someone might feel they aren't up to the task when things don't go smoothly in an adoption, but this is a child.  It's not like you can return them like you would a pet that is too hard to handle.  I think Joel is handling it better, and I REALLY liked when he talked to Victor and told him that Julia was his wife, and was not to be disrespected.  I remember one of my Uncle's telling me that my Grandpa told his sons the same thing if they started to get disrespectful to my Grandmother, and they were his biological children.  It shows children that the parents support one another and also provides a sense of security in the home, because when a marriage is strong, a split is unlikely.

Reply 44#44 codebreaker's post

I really hope it comes back for another season.  They haven't heard yet, but there are so many more stories to tell.  I hated that she chose Hank.  It might be that he's played by Ray Romano, and it icks me out to see them as a couple, but I think it's that I really just don't like the character he plays and think she & Mark were really well suited, despite the age difference.  I LOVED that everyone went to the adoption finalization.

Reply 46#46 spratt89's post

Just saw that.  I'm glad.  I like this show and it deserved to be renewed.  I'm even happier that it's renewed for a full season, rather than a short one like last year.

Reply 4#4 codebreaker's post

That WAS amusing, as was Crosby's seeming surprise at how little sleep new parents get. LOL!  I would have thought that being an uncle would have given him a bit of a clue, since he wasn't aware of Jabbar until he was older.

I like seeing Max having some independence, but am not overly thrilled that Ray Romano's character is back.  I like Ray, but didn't care for his character last season.  I really hope they don't put his & Lauren Graham's characters back together romantically.  He DOES seem a good fit as a kind of mentor for Max, and if they leave him like that, I think I wouldn't mind him sticking around.

Thread