70 1234
Thread
Printable Version

Memphis Beat Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Memphis Beat Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

About the Show

Memphis Beat centers on Dwight Hendricks (Jason Lee), a quirky Memphis police detective with an intimate connection to the city, a passion for blues music and a close relationship with his mother. He is "the keeper of Memphis," a Southern gentleman who is protective of his fellow citizens, reverential of the city's history and deeply rooted in its blues music scene.
Despite his impeccable instincts as a detective, Dwight's loose, relaxed style of police work rubs his demanding new boss, Lt. Tanya Rice (Alfre Woodard), the wrong way. But Dwight may eventually win her over to a Memphis state of mind, especially when he takes the stage at his favorite hangout to perform a legendary song or two.

MEMPHIS BEAT co-stars DJ Qualls as Davey Sutton, a uniform cop who considers himself to be Dwight's protégé. Also starring are Celia Weston (Junebug) as Dwight's effervescent mother; Sam Hennings (Saving Grace) as Charlie White, aka Whitehead, Dwight's seasoned, hypertensive partner; Leonard Earl Howze (Barbershop) as Reginald Greenback, a fellow detective struggling to make ends meet with two teenage daughters; and Abraham Benrubi (ER) as Sgt. JC Lightfoot, an officer who uses Chickasaw tribal wisdom in his police work.

MEMPHIS BEAT was created by Liz W. Garcia (Cold Case) and Joshua Harto (The Dark Knight), who also wrote the first two episodes. Harto, who grew up in the South and has spent a lot of time with his country-musician grandfather, sees the show's setting as a chance to spotlight one of America's great cities. "Memphis has been largely forgotten in film and TV today," he says. "It's where the blues and Johnny Cash and Elvis came from. It's where Martin Luther King was assassinated and where Isaac Hayes and Aretha Franklin were born and raised. It's the perfect blend of drama and humor for our show."

Music is just as vital to MEMPHIS BEAT as its unique characters, drama and humor is the music. "Music is a huge part of this show," Garcia says. "It has to be. You can't live in Memphis and not have your life steeped in music. The city has a soundtrack."

To get that perfect Memphis feel, the production team approached noted blues singer/songwriter Keb' Mo'. He will provide original compositions and performances for the show to supplement classic Memphis tracks.

MEMPHIS BEAT is executive-produced by Clooney, Heslov, Garcia, Harto, John Fortenberry (It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Scott Kaufer (Boston Legal). Sean Whitesell (House M.D.) and Smokehouse Pictures' Abby Wolf-Weiss are co-executive producers. The pilot was directed and executive-produced by Emmy® nominee Clark Johnson (The Shield). Harto and Garcia are a husband-and-wife team. Harto is also an actor.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/memphisbeat/

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 9-11-2011 16:16 ]

1x01 That's All Right, Mama

Detective Dwight Hendricks investigates the abuse of elderly woman who happens to be a legendary Memphis disc jockey known as the “First Lady of the Airwaves.” But his loose investigative style is cramped by his new by-the-book boss, Lt. Tanya Rice, who brings a den mother approach to her job. Meanwhile, Dwight’s mother starts dating a charming new neighbor.

Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

Yeah it was disturbing case how could anyone do that elderly women beyond my understanding

1x02 Baby, Let's Play House

Cleo Groves, a mother who will stop at nothing to hold her family together by risking her sons future and letting him take the blame for her killing her husband because he is a juvenile

Reply 4#4 codebreaker's post

i did like the billboard remark Speeding what yours excuse-spray painted 'helping you fat b***ard pay for your doughnuts'

1x03 Love Me Tender

Dwight letting the missing teenage beauty pageant queen and her boyfriend go because of what he found out about what her parent did to her was nice and Dwight trying to help his ex-wife, Alex with her health-food catering business backfired first but he did apologize and got her back

Reply 6#6 codebreaker's post

i think this would made better pilot than a 3rd episode ?

1x04 Polk Salad Annie

Davey going under cover turned out better than i thought but when the brother got out the trunk was funny

Reply 8#8 codebreaker's post

Well it was an amusing episode and quite interesting i mean Davey going undercover was great but you just knew he would end fall for the girl . The chief boy get arrested and her trying to let him learn the hard way but not bail him out was good but he was right she can't expect him to be perfect.

1x05 One Night of Sin

Following the death of the matriarch of a popular country & western family, the group’s manager falls - or jumps - from a balcony. But something doesn't smell right, especially as bitter rivalries within the musical family come to light, i did like Dwight's duet at the end

Reply 10#10 codebreaker's post

Well this has become a soft beat cop show watch when you not in the mood serious show.

Well a boxer who get attacked and it wasn't who we thought but dewie telling  the mother he liked her was funny.

Reply 12#12 bala's post

Davey chatting up the mother was funny

1x07 Suspicious Minds

The look on Dwight's face when the plane was empty was great but the way the couple got the plane was crafty and i wounder if Greenback get away with keeping the money after he catches a close friend in a compromising position.

Reply 14#14 codebreaker's post

That plane was great naming it the ghost plane was funny.

1x08 I Shall Not Be Moved

Good episode when Dwight goes beyond the call of duty to help the old man who had been on the run for over 40 years for a crime he didn't commit and the LT and her bank problems, i think we would all be annoyed if our ex's did that

Reply 16#16 codebreaker's post

yes but she should made sure her ex was removed from bank details. it was nice to have the cold case twist in this episode.

Don't Be So Cruel

What an awful way for groom end up murdered on his wedding day and the complication with Kickback and the fact that groom was expose a businessman.

Reply 18#18 bala's post

I liked the way Dwight was paying attention to the details in the back ground except when they were hiding behind the car and didn't notice the other car

Well not much season finale but Dwight finally 3 year murder that been bothering him

70 1234
Thread