Thread
Printable Version

Battlestar Galactica Season 1-3 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Good Point

Live Streaming Episodes

I just got an e-mail in my box that says that they will stream the next Battlestar Galactica episode (4/18/2008) on Scifi.com between 9AM and 4PM ET this Friday.  It will start  every hour on the hour.  So, that should give everyone a chance to see it early who wants to.  I can start watching it at 6AM in my time zone.  

But, I'll have to do my exercise first.  
Too legit to quit!

Reply 13#13 desertdarlene's post

I missed your post until now, so I didn't get to check if I can view it from Canada.  I just finished watching it on VIP.

Well I guess we now REALLY know why Boomer voted the way she did.  ICK!  But I don't think she'll go along with the annihilation of the other "human" Cylons.  Their "civil war" is getting mighty interesting.

That Tory is a piece of work...and VERY much like the "skinjobs" we've come to know in the past.  I do NOT like her.  Tyrol and Anders seem to be the main ones trying to maintain their humanity.  ON that note, discovering who the 5th Cylon is, is getting even more difficult.  From what Kara said to Sam, it looks like they're trying to hint it may be her, but I think that's a red herring.  I'm still not sure who it is, but after everything she's been through it would seem too obvious to make it Starbuck.

And what about Lee's new position?  He just started and he's already stirring the pot between the President & the press.  That could be a dangerous line to walk if he wants to truly be effective.  I'll be interested to see how that all plays out.

The ending was a definite OMGoodness moment.  I'm not surprised at Tory, but feel bad for Tyrol and especially Cally.  Definitely not how I expected it to end.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

This episode, at first I was pretty bored, seemed so slow. But YOWSER!

I agree, don't think its Kara.

Tory: NASTY. Fully embracing the Cylon lifestyle isn't she. That was really intense. I thought for sure that they would catch her snooping and be forced to kill her to keep the secret, but I thought it would be a joint decision there.

I feel bad for Anders. Between dealing with the Cylon revelation and Kara coming back from the dead /changing, to still wanting to maintain his humanity is something.

[ Last edited by silver1978 at 4-20-2008 00:09 ]
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

Reply 15#15 silver1978's post

I agree.  Sam's such a decent guy, and Kara treats him like crap.  He really loves her.  It's a different take on a somewhat abusive relationship.  She uses him when it suits her, and he puts up with her treating him so rotten.  Kinda sad, really.

You know, the one thing I noticed was that the four said that they knew they were Cylons when they were in (or near) the nebula.  And, I remember they were hearing the music at that time.  I am beginning to get more convinced that there is some sort of sub-space phenomena there, perhaps a wormhole leading to Earth.  But, it could also be a spiritual realm that is a barrier that the Cylons can't cross.  It's a far-out theory, but it's got me thinking.

What do you think about them killing all those other Cylons?  It seems like they have a war with each other,now, and it'll distract them from pursuing the humans.  Perhaps this is all in (their) God's plan.  I wonder if God is now trying to destroy them to let the humans find their way to Earth.  

Again, this is a crazy theory and I may be way off.  But, one thing I like about this show is it's spiritual component.  It's something the old episodes failed to flesh out.
Too legit to quit!

Oh, man!  I was watching the streaming video on Scifi.com when it stopped half way through.  It said the episode had ended.  Well, I'm glad that I can get it on this site.
Too legit to quit!

Reply 18#18 desertdarlene's post

I checked out the scifi site, and it said that a sneak preview was available to view - maybe that's why it stopped halfway.  Sneaky.

Escape Velocity 4x04

I just watched the new episode and everyone seems to be losing their mind!  Gaius is becoming evermore the cult figure, Tyrol & Tigh are seeing visions, though of very different sorts, and Lee seems to be on a quest for civil liberties - which is great in itself, but in context may prove disastrous for the fleet.  Tory seems to have come very much to terms with being a Cylon and has hopped on the Baltar bandwagon.  But the men are struggling with their new identities, and the deaths of their wives.

Will Tigh's, shall we say, tête-à-tête with Number 6 cause him to embrace his Cylon self?  Is Tyrol really so disgusted with his life, or was he just trying to get demoted before he actually killed someone?

What about Roslin?  Do you think she's going to die before reaching Earth, or will another "miracle" save her?

I don't mind the religious themes in the show, and am glad they aren't shying away from them, but I just don't want it to turn into some sort of "holy war".  It's enough that the Cylons are now pretty much having a civil war of their own, without adding a religious war to the fleet.  They have a hard enough time getting along - even before religion gets into the mix.

The bar scene with Tyrol. He seemed to not have known what he was doing. Is this part of their "activation?" Or is the stress of the secret getting to them? Tory, I think, is definitely embracing her Cylon self and will probably be the downfall of the crew Cylons.

You are right about Lee though. His intentions are good, but he does seem rather short sighted as to the possible consequences of his actions. I almost wonder if his actions (which seemingly mesh with Cylon intentions) might be a result of him being a Cylon as well- another part of me says no way.

Overall, I felt this episode was really lacking. We got no more answers and just more questions. Being the last seasons, the episodes have got to step it up some if we are going to get some closure on all the questions.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

Reply 20#20 silver1978's post

Funny you should say that about Lee.  I was leaning in that direction too (him being the final Cylon) but apparently, according to Ronald D. Moore - executive producer of BSG - the final Cylon will NOT be one of the primary humans on the show.  I suppose that makes it any body's guess.

You're right about the need to step it up in revealing more answers.  There isn't enough time for them to meander through everyone's psyche and still come up with a satisfying conclusion.  I wished we had seen more of either Kara & her crew, or what was happening with the Cylons.

I remember there was something in an earlier episode that said something about the person or prophetess or whatever who leads them to Earth will have a "wasting disease" and won't make it there.  I think I remember it being in the first or second season that it was implied that Roslyn is the person the book of Pythia might be talking about.  But, when Roslyn got better, I kinda forgot about it.
Too legit to quit!

Reply 22#22 desertdarlene's post

Good memory Darlene.  I had forgotten about that, but it makes sense now that Roslin has relapsed.

Episode 4x05 - The Road Less Travelled

I finally got through watching the new episode - the site was running slow today.  I have to say I was happy to have a more in depth glimpse of what's happening on the Demetrius.  

Back with the fleet Tory is continuing to make the most of her new Cylon self.  Tyrol is so racked with feelings of guilt that he's even shaved his head.

Sorry - this is pretty lame.  It took me a couple hours to get through it, and now I'm too tired to think clearly enough to get my thoughts out.  I'll be back to chat more about the new episode.   I definitely enjoyed it, but think I'll have to give it another viewing to fully figure out what I think.

I am finding myself a little dissatisfied at the pace at which these latest episodes are going.  This was the first episode where I wasn't totally glued to the screen the whole time and actually had to come back and watch the second half later.  The next episode looks interesting because it seems that Starbuck talks to the Hybrid who tells her what the other Hybrid said about her in Razor.  I wonder how things are going to sort out when she knows that.
Too legit to quit!

Reply 24#24 desertdarlene's post

Yes, it is most definitely failing to keep up the pace for me. It's the last season, I just expect so much more. What did we really learn this episode? It seemed like such a filler except for the mutiny.
E. E. Cummings

Reply 25#25 silver1978's post

We learned that some of the human Cylons survived the attempted massacre by their brethren.

I'm really curious as to what the hybrid will tell Kara.  I have a feeling Darlene is right, and she'll find out what was said in Razor.  

The interesting thing about this episode was Leoban.  He has some strange hold over Kara.  I would have expected her to have him killed after interrogation, but even after holding her hostage all those months on New Caprica, she still wants him around.  It's like she has Stockholm Syndrome.  It must really irk Sam, since she said if he was a Cylon she'd have no problem putting a bullet in his head, to see her listening to what Leoban has to say.

Episode 4x06 - Faith

Just watched the new episode and must say it's an improvement over last week.

Kara finally got to hear the hybrid's message, we found out what it means - though still have to wait for #5 to be revealed, and also found out that the 6s & 8s survived the attempted massacre.

Back with the fleet, we see Roslin getting treatment, and meeting another patient (none other than Nana Visitor, aka Kira Narys of Deep Space Nine) in the infirmary.  They discuss Baltar and his pirate radio broadcasts re: the afterlife.  Interesting stuff, but I liked how Roslin told Adama that THEY were going to find Earth together.  She still has faith in the book of Pythia (as Darlene mentioned earlier), and I think she recognizes that she is the one prophesied about.  She did know this before, but now that her cancer has relapsed, I think it has reaffirmed her belief.

I also think Anders is getting ever more nervous that he will be revealed as a Cylon, while wanting to know exactly what that means for him at the same time.  Tory is getting scarier, being so close to the President, and no longer being afraid of the responsibilities her job entails now that Roslin is sick.

Good stuff!

I also think this was an improved episode over the last episode.  So, did the message say that the final five are from the 13th tribe and from Earth?  That's very fascinating.  Perhaps the final five Cylons are humans after all.   I don't know, that could be a stretch.  And, I guess Deanna can finger out who those final five are, so I wonder if she will recognize the four we've seen so far.

[ Last edited by desertdarlene at 5-11-2008 18:20 ]
Too legit to quit!

Reply 28#28 desertdarlene's post

I think the hybrid said something like, "The dying leader will discover the truth about the Opera House, the missing 'Three' will be used to find the five, who come from the home of the Thirteenth Tribe."  So Roslin (the dying leader) will learn what D'Anna (3) saw at the Opera House (the faces of the final 5) who are from Earth, which is the Cylon's (13th tribe) home.  

It's possible that the final 5 ARE human after all, since the hybrid didn't say the five were Cylons, just from their home.  I definitely think D'Anna will be able to ID our 4 known members of the 5, which is great because I love Lucy Lawless as that character.  It just gets better and better.

4x07 - Guess What's Coming to Dinner

Finally!  We're getting into some good stuff now.  This episode really opened the door for what's to come.  Definitely my favourite of the season so far.

The ending left me highly frustrated, which is OK.  I just wasn't watching the time, and didn't expect it to be over when it was.  Roslin & Baltar are now on the base ship which has jumped away.  I REALLY want to know what the hybrid will tell her.  Will it tell Roslin that Kara is the "harbinger of death to them all"?  And what does that mean, and what will it mean for Starbuck and the fleet as a whole?

I've suspected Gaeta as the final Cylon, since I found out it wouldn't be one of the main characters.  I know he wasn't singing the lyrics to "All Along the Watchtower", but was that the tune?  Anders seemed to find his singing important, so I'm thinking it was.  If so, he'll definitely want a new body, and if he figures it out will kill himself when they get close enough to the resurrection ship.  

So much to digest.  Athena, Caprica 6, Roslin and Hera (and was there someone else? - Baltar? - I don't think so, but can't remember) having the same dream.  Killing the Six won't make a difference, since she isn't Caprica Six.  Sharon should have recognized the difference, since all Hera's pictures were of a woman with very yellow hair.  I suppose any mother wouldn't care, and would take down whoever she thought was a threat to the safety of her child, but it's a shame that THAT Six is now dead.  She was reasonable - the MOST reasonable of all the Cylons.

That's all I have for now, but thank heavens the show is back on track.  With so few episodes left, they really have to get to the heart of the story and tell it in a way that does it justice, and satisfies us fans.

Gaeta as the final Cylon? /yawn. If it's true, I'm bored. I would think it would be much more explosive. Even though he has been in the background and important in some ways, I am just not interested in him or his character to be honest.

I was wondering if the Hybrid meant Kara would bring death to the humans or to the Cylons. With the speech about mortality, it seems like a reasonable explanation that she is bringing true death to the Cylons. As such, if the Cylons experience true death, there would be a fundamental change in their experiences- that is one of the last barriers to them being truly human. It is our mortality that makes us strive to create, invent, have children, emphasize with others, and many more things. We want to leave something of ourselves to be remembered once we are gone.

I was happier with this episode then the rest of this season, but truly still feel unfulfilled. The jump at the end was good though, left me wanting to see the next episode.
E. E. Cummings

Thread