Thread
Printable Version

Battlestar Galactica Season 1-3 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 36#36 silver1978's post

I was wondering the same thing.

Now get to work on your term paper!
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

4x09 - Hub

Good episode.  Is anyone else wondering which child the Hybrid was talking about?  I know Hera seems obvious, but now that Caprica 6 is pregnant, could it be the Hybrid is telling them to protect THAT child?  

BTW, I forgot to mention that last week's episode made me LOL when Lee was sworn in as President.  I didn't know - or I forgot - that his name is Leeland!   Just thought I'd share.

4x10 - Revelations (mid-season finale)

I went searching for quotes from the hybrids - the one on this baseship, and the one from Razor.

Here is what the hybrid said in Razor to Kendra Shaw (the old man hybrid):

* At last, they've come for me. I feel their lives, their destinies spilling out before me. The denial of the one true path, played out on a world not their own, will end soon enough. Soon there will be four, glorious in awakening, struggling with the knowledge of their true selves. The pain of revelation bringing new clarity and in the midst of confusion, he will find her. Enemies brought together by impossible longing. Enemies now joined as one. The way forward at once unthinkable, yet inevitable. And the fifth, still in shadow, will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering. I can see them all. The seven, now six, self-described machines who believe themselves without sin. But in time, it is sin that will consume them. They will know enmity, bitterness, the wrenching agony of one splintering into many. And then, they will join the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning.
    * Kara Thrace will lead the human race to its end. She is the herald of the apocalypse, the harbinger of death. They must not follow her.
    * As my own existence comes to a close, only to begin anew, in ways uncertain.
    * All this has happened before, and it will happen again...again...again...again...again...again...again...

OK, I've wanted to find that for a while (since seeing Razor, actually), but especially after watching this episode.  I definitely think the 5th Cylon of the final 5 is the unborn child of Tigh & Caprica 6.

Earth looks to be a radioactive wasteland.  Not quite what they were hoping for.  Is this the what the hybrid meant about Thrace leading the human race to it's end?  I still don't understand if that means literally or if it's referring to an end of what they have known, now that they are in an alliance with the Cylons, and there are already 2 human/Cylon children (Hera & Nicky) and a child of 2 Cylons yet to be born.  

Does the fact that all of these things have happened before and will supposedly happen again mean that the rubble they found on Earth indicate their ancestors did live there?  

Another hybrid quote is:

The children of the one reborn shall find their own country.
I assume that's referring to D'Anna and their search for a home.

I noticed Starbuck went to the Memorial wall where all the photos are and they zoomed in on the pic of Kendra Shaw, which was a nice nod to her character and a little payoff for Razor.

I'm now left with a bunch of questions and have to wait ages for the answers.  Highly irritating, especially when there are only 10 more episodes until the series is finished.  Why do I watch these shows that drive me crazy?

Reply  42#42 gaiusx's post
Quote:
the fifth, still in shadow, will claw toward the light, hungering for redemption that will only come in the howl of terrible suffering.
This is the part of the quote, along with the fact D'Anna said there were only 4 (for now), that makes me think the 5th of the final 5 is the unborn child.  The fact that the hybrid says "The seven, now six, self-described machines who believe themselves without sin", makes me think another Cylon will die before the series ends.  

My is also due to the fact that it's much like Lost, in that it makes you think and leaves you with so many more questions than answers.  I hope there's a really good ending.  This show deserves one.

Reply 44#44 silver1978's post

I thought of Ellen Tigh too.  But since the resurrection hub was destroyed, how would that model be alive (same thing for Zach)?  Of course, if you're correct and the final Cylon is already on Earth, that point would be moot.  And if that's the case, the final Cylon could be any of the characters who have already died.  I think if it had been anyone with the fleet when they went through the nebula, they would have been activated along with the other 4.

Interesting theory:

This is something I had been trying to figure out too.  I did a search and there has never been a reference to model #7.  

Here's a theory I thought interesting enough to pass along:
Quote:
Battlestar Galactica: Why Boomer is the Final Cylon
Tuesday, June 17, 2008

After all this time, a switch went off, just like that. For more than a year now, Battlestar Galactica fans have been pondering the identity of the final Cylon. I've had plenty of theories. At first I was leaning towards Zak Adama, Lee's dead brother. Then, as season 4 wore on, I set my sights on Tom Zarek. After the truly spectacular mid-season finale, I started to think about it even more, obsessing over the identity of the final Cylon. Then I read a comment made by Ronald D. Moore, and just like that, the switch went off.

Boomer is the final Cylon. Not Athena, the mother of Hera, but Boomer, the Sharon who shot Adama, got Jack Ruby-ed by Cally and tried to end the Cylon aggression against humanity. Crazy as it sounds, it all makes perfect sense.

If you're wondering what triggered this revelation, it was Moore's statement at the Battlestar Galactica mid-season finale screening on Wednesday that the final five Cylons don't have model numbers. It seems innocuous enough, but it was the final piece I needed to understand.

One of my biggest questions about Battlestar Galactica has always been the numbering of the Cylons. The seven original models all have numbers. Cavil, Leoben, D'Anna, Simon and Doral are 1-5, respectively. Number Six is, of course, 6. Then there's Sharon Valeri, aka Sharon Agathon, aka Boomer, aka Athena. She's number 8.

Either Ronald D. Moore doesn't know what comes after six, or this has been a huge clue slapping us in the face for years. I had just assumed that, for some reason, one of the final five was the missing 7. Then came this revelation that the final five don't have model numbers, which either means there is no 7 or Moore is playing mind games with his fans.

This prompted my mind to go into overdrive: why would the Cylons, or God, or whoever created the skinjobs, skip over 7? Or did they? What if the Cylon creators were experimenting with a new breed of Cylon and came up with a new model after 6? Perhaps it looked like Sharon, but the Cylon creators discovered the difference and quickly created a new, more traditional Sharon that followed the same schematics as 1-6. Hence, in the original creation, the 7 slot would be left open.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this number game, but until I hear a better explanation for why Sharon is Number 8, I'm standing by it. In addition, the other clues we've received fit. D'Anna said there were only four of the final five on the fleet in “Revelations,” and at that time, Boomer was aboard the basestar. There was also the very first sighting of the final five, when D'Anna said. “You. Forgive me, I had no idea.” It's never been clear who she was talking about. Maybe Tigh for ripping out his eye. Or maybe she was asking forgiveness of Boomer, whom she opposed in the season 2 episode “Downloaded” because Boomer and Caprica Six wanted to try to co-exist with humans.

Finally, the most powerful piece of evidence came early in season 4 when Boomer sided with Cavil on the issue of lobotomizing the Raiders, going against the entire line of 8s. It was said to be the first time that a Cylon ever broken rank with what the other models of that number were doing. It seemed incredibly unusual that these machines would be capable of doing this, but not if you consider my theory that Boomer is not an 8, but rather the final Cylon. That would explain perfectly how and why she was able to go against her model.

In some ways, I feel like the pieces fit so nicely that Boomer has to be the final Cylon. Much like a diagnosis by Gregory House, it explains everything. Of course, whenever he says that, it's usually not the right diagnosis.
SOURCE
I'm not saying I agree with this at all, but it's interesting, nonetheless.  I wonder who model #7 is/was?  I always thought it was one of the other men, but I hadn't done the research.  With all this focus on the final 5, I've been doing a lot of counting in my head, especially since the Cylon civil war began, as to how many and which models were left.  There are only 4 original models left, and with 4 of the final 5 now revealed, that makes a total of 8.  Apparently, from what we know so far, numbers 1, 4 & 5 are gone.  For some reason I always thought there were supposed to be 12 models - isn't that what we were told?  

Just another thing that will have me confused for months to come.

Reply 55#55 bala's post

From the episode, I thought it was pretty clear that it was Ellen, Tigh's wife.

It was a good episode.  Kara finding her own charred remains was interesting.  On the Space channel, the evening was all BSG stuff, and one of the guys proposed that maybe they're all cylons in some way.  I found that an interesting theory.  I don't think that's it, but can't wait to see how they wrap everything up.

Dee's suicide was rather shocking, but at the same time not, because of her reaction to what they found on the planet, and how overly happy she was acting with Lee.  Very sad.

Reply 65#65 desertdarlene's post

I finally got to watch it...actually had to catch up...and WOW what an episode.  I'm glad I waited to watch ths one since it's "to be continued" because I don't know if I could have stood the suspense for an entire week.  It will be interesting to see who's left standing at the end of the series.

Reply 67#67 desertdarlene's post

I am too.  It certainly was a nail-biter.  This show is definitely going out with a bang.

I missed that Ellen would be resurrected in the promos for next week, but that should be really be interesting - especially if she's bringing all her memories with her.

Reply 69#69 bala's post

It sure was a revealing episode.  The fact that the "final 5" were actually the creators of the other 8 - yes 8, not 7 - models is fascinating.  Re: the #7 - Daniel - I wonder if that will somehow be Sol & 6's child?  It is the only full cylon baby to be born through procreation rather than resurrection. Just a thought.  Or, another possibility - that the Daniel is somehow connected to Starbuck - he was an artist - she had all those pictures she drew/painted all over her place.  I find it intriguing.

Cavil/John - this episode explained a lot as to why he is the way he is.  

I also found it interesting that Ellen said they learned of the "one true God" from the Centurions.  I guess I had thought that was a skinjob creation.

So much revealed - yet still so many questions.  This season is living up to the hype.

4x17 - Someone to Watch Over Me

I'm wondering if the piano player, who is obviously Kara's father, is Daniel, the defunct #8?  The music ties them together, along with Hera & the final 5 - so it's possible...especially since we don't exactly know what Kara is yet.

From interviews, I guess Boomer's whole reason for getting to Galactica (besides helping Ellen get away from Cavil) was to kidnap Hera.  The thing I don't know is why.  Is it to bring her to Cavil or does she have another agenda?  Questions, questions - and we're SO near the end.  I want answers.

SO NEAR THE END

There are only 3 hours left (2 or 3 episodes, depending on how it's aired) of BSG!  Tonight's episode "Islanded In a Stream of Stars" was good, but there are still so many questions I want answers to.  I know the writers respect the fanbase and the story, so I'm sure the last episodes will bring closure, but I'm still left wondering - how are they going to tie all the loose ends up?  

The ship is dying - and now Adama plans to "abandon ship".  I read somewhere, that maybe the ship was the "dying leader" that "will lead the remnants of humanity to the promised land of Earth."  I'm curious to see if that's true.  Roslin and the ship are dying, so it's hard to tell.

I wonder what Cavil is going to do with Hera?  And, WHAT is Kara?  Like I said, there is still so much I want to know that it's frustrating to know there's so little of this story left.  

Reply 74#74 bala's post

Part 1 of the finale was good - but I'm waiting until next week for my final verdict.  I was glad to see that Hera was still intact though.  I wonder if Baltar will volunteer at the last minute?  I was kind of expecting him to - especially after his confrontation with Lee.  I liked seeing some of "before the war" scenes.  Kara was quite a bit different but the others characters were pretty much the same, even though they were n very different situations.

Reply 76#76 bala's post

Yep - it's 2 hours.  They are having a BSG marathon on the Space channel here, showing all of the 2nd half of this season & then the finale.  I doubt I'll be able to watch it all day long, but I know I'll watch parts of it.  I can't wait to see how it ends, and I'm doing my best to avoid ALL spoilers so I can enjoy it.  I just hope it's good and I'm not disappointed.

Reply 79#79 bala's post

I'm not sure.  I think it's 2 episodes, but they are airing them back to back, so I imagine they will be posted as 2 separate episodes.

Reply 81#81 bala's post

No, when was it on?  Maybe it will air along with all the episodes on Friday here.  Was it any good?

Reply 83#83 bala's post

I'm intrigued.  Apparently it did air here on Monday, but I didn't know.  I just checked though, and they ARE re-airing the special on Friday evening before the final episodes.  YAY!  I know what I'll be doing Friday night - geeking out in front of the TV.

Reply 85#85 bala's post

I've had migraines most of this week & last weekend, so haven't watched much TV, which would be why I didn't see the special advertised.  It's kind of sucky, but I just tape the stuff I'm not able to watch and watch then when my head isn't thumping.  I've also been distracted with dealing with the garage about my car and trying to find a place to live back in my old city.  Life has been quite hectic - even when I'm laid out with the migraines.   I'll be glad when I get my car back and it's working again AND especially when my move is done.  Things will be a lot quieter then.  I still have most of the last season of SG: Atlantis to watch, and I'm saving it for after my move because I know I'll want to collapse by then.

Finale

OMGoodness!  The finale was awesome!  Even though I'm left with a couple questions, it was a totally satisfying end to such a great series.  I won't spill the beans, since it won't be on the site until tomorrow.

Reply 88#88 bala's post

Because there were cylons among the survivors and Hera, the cylon/human hybrid, I think the future was showing that they became a different race - though it didn't show what the Centurions were up to 150,000 years in the future.  It was them who had initially created the "skin jobs", so who knows if they did it again?

Thread