Thread
Printable Version

Switched at Birth Season 1-4 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Switched at Birth Season 1-4 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Switched at Birth Premieres on ABC Family on June 06, 2011

Switched at Birth, a one-hour scripted drama, tells the story of two teenage girls who discover they were accidentally switched as newborns in the hospital. Bay Kennish grew up in a wealthy family with two parents and a brother, while Daphne Vasquez, who lost her hearing at an early age due to a case of meningitis, grew up with a single mother in a working-class neighborhood. Things come to a dramatic head when both families meet and struggle to learn how to live together for the sake of the girls.

Switched at Birth stars newcomer Katie Leclerc as Daphne Vasquez; Vanessa Marano (Gilmore Girls) as Bay Kennish; Constance Marie (George Lopez) as Regina Vasquez; D.W. Moffett (Friday Night Lights) as John Kennish; Lea Thompson (Back to the Future, Caroline in the City) as Kathryn Kennish; and Lucas Grabeel (High School Musical) as Toby Kennish.

Lizzy Weiss (Blue Crush), Paul Stupin (Make It or Break It) and John Ziffren (Melissa & Joey, Make It or Break It) serve as executive producers.
Homepage

Discuss Anything About Switched at Birth Here

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 5-28-2011 16:28 ]

Reply 2#2 codebreaker's post

i was planning do these topics on the day they aired .

1x01 This Is Not a Pipe

Interesting first episode but what a difference in reaction Bye had compared to Daphne considering she set the ball in motion but the Kennish's what them both where Daphne's mother doesn't seem interested in Bye until the end

Reply 5#5 codebreaker's post

Well this has very good start the season i like how they highlighted the differences between so predictable they couldn't of tried harder to make it look like each other mothers. . I also like that fact that Bye has two male admirers and Daphne only Bye ex-boyfriend.

Daphne also has the deaf boy on the bike.

Reply 7#7 gabsimom's post

I think he is more like a brother just like the guy Blye is into.
But I think that Daphne and the deaf boy are going to fight a lot about her switching schools, trying to adapt.
Btw I love Daphne's mom, and I understand her, but Blye's mom, she is too unconsidering towards Blye.
They say that they can't be mad for what happened because they got Blye for it, but they sure as hell don't show it.
While Daphne's mom is still making clear that Daphne is her child and the only reason she didn't take an interest in blye was because she was afraid Blye wouldn't think she was good enough.
Oh and I love!!! the brother. He's so nice and all.

Reply 8#8 kellemanske's post

Yeah that's what i was thinking as well she seems like his mate but it would be interesting if he had feelings for her but she didn't know.

American Gothic

Another great episode you can see that there are finding it difficult to co-parent the girls but both of them having different ideas certainly bought tension. .

Reply 10#10 bala's post

Bay being happy to stick with her weeks punishment at the barbecue was amusing considering if it was up for debate between the three of them it might of been a month

I just found out who's bay's father is clue he's was in brothers & Sister

This was an interesting episode. But Liam was great, his friends however are jurks and I'm glad that Daphne gave them the wrong symbol. But too bad they will never know that.
I think Emmett is in love with her and I'm feeling sorry for him.
Bay and the guy from Daphne's old neighbourhood is great. I love both of them. But I'm wondering: Would he be the artist she admires?
And I really hope that Regina isn't holding back some dark secret that might cause her to lose Daphne.
I love that Daphne finally spoke up and I think that the kids are doing great, getting along. Now the parents have to follow. But I understand Regina's point. But because she doesn't mix in Bay's raising those other two don't know how it feels. Bay needs to tell them to back off. I really don't like them.They are not considerent enough towards Bay. For her it must feel like they are happier with Daphne then with her. Certainly if they would battle for costidy. which I hope won't happen.

Episode 3

Well, the coach being Emmetts mom, I didn't see that one coming. But deciding not to tell the truth was wrong and I'm glad that in the end she told her friend the truth. But funny that Regina already did that and because the others didn't know, they made a fool out of themselves. I think Daphne is starting to understand that her birthparents aren't only 'great and funny' but have flaws of there own. And the conversation between Emmett and Daphne about dating hearing people was nice. And I wonder when Emmett described his dreamgirl, if he wasn't talking about Daphne. But I understand what he means when he says that a hearing person couldn't understand him as good as a deaf person. You can see the difficulties between Daphne and her birthfamily because they don't understand everything about being deaf. On the other hand, Daphne's mom is really good with it and I think she can understand the culture and all. So maybe Emmett is a bit too judgemental about hearing. And Daphne is a bit naive. But I think she's right to give Liam another chance. He looks like a nice guy who just doesn't know enough yet to stand up for her. But I think that he is really trying and that's great. But that phoneconversation was great!

Reply 14#14 kellemanske's post

I think Emmett was talking about Daphne and i think at the moment Bay has got the short straw with her biological mom taking it very slow to get to know her and her father more interested in Daphne but the whole keeping it quiet is stupid

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 6-21-2011 19:14 ]

Reply 14#14 kellemanske's post

Well i think this show could educate hearing people about deaf people i look back at school and i only ever meet one deaf girl in my primary school and no deaf people in my high school. It amazing how when you that young you don't realise differences between them.  

It's good way to learn the culture but you would think they should signed version for deaf people who want watch the show ?. It seem quite unfair that we get subtitles for deaf parts but Deaf people don't get signed for hearing parts?.

It just show difference TV aimed at hearing people and not deaf people.

I couldn't believe Bay offered him money for his car trouble but i don't think he overreacted but she didn't understand why he was offended.

Reply 16#16 bala's post

In the netherlands they have a little box in the corner of the tv where a deaf translator is signing what is being said. But only for a few programs like the daily news. I think that is a good initiative. But I don't know if that is possible for the serie. I don't know how fast they would have to sign to translate everything. But for the ones who can lipread English, it's still possible to follow the show.

we have closed caption here in the US. Almost every show has a setting you can turn on to read everything being said.

Reply 19#19 gabsimom's post

oh yeah, that too, I almost forgot. But that doesn't do any justice to the words being said. Most of the times the subtitels aren't translated good enough to keep the jokes and the nuances that the real lines have. That's why I learned english so fast. It's much more fun to understand the real lines.

1x04 Dance Amongst Daggers

That was so funny when the girls announced their new boyfriends and it's a shame that Daphne decided to break up with Liam because of Bay but i don't think they will be broken up for long

Bay is spoiled. She can date who she wants. She doesn't even care about Liam anymore she is just jealous of Daphne.

Reply 22#22 gabsimom's post

Yep i know she drives me so bad it amazing that she doesn't realise this is all thanks to her doing the test if only she left it alone so she really has her own self blame for the situation and the fact that Daphne comes off like a saint is starting to annoy me i can't wait she her get mad and be rebellious.

Thread