Thread
Printable Version

New updates and shows to be suspended on RM site

It just took me almost 4 hours to load up all of Revenge 1x11 from the Flash site. It takes me less than 60 seconds to load up all of any 40 minute show from the RP site. Why is that?

I tried everything on that tips page. The only thing is mentioned that I'm wondering may be the cause is that my computer is 3 years old. Would the age of my video/graphics cards/software on this computer be the reason the flash videos don't load quickly? Or could it be my location (Singapore)?

Did a bandwidth test & it looks like i'm only getting 5.1 mbps down & 1.14 mbps up. 2nd test was 7.97 down & 1.12 up Could that be the reason? What is the recommended up & down for the flash site? [ Last edited by hsgreenb at 1-7-2012 02:24 ]

Interesting developments this morning. Yesterday, I checked for the latest update of Flash but the site says that, by using Chrome, I'm already on the latest version. I then tried to see if switching from wireless to wired would make a difference, rebooted & was prompted to download Flash 11.1 upon restart. I did that, checked & was having the same problems with the Flash site. After that, I went out for the day. This morning, I started my computer, still wired directly to the router, and attempted watching Private Practice 5x11 on the Flash site and, other than some stutters here & there in the video, it worked continuously throughout. I did a speed test wired in and got 12+ mbps down. After watching the full show, I switched back to wireless and also got 12+ mbps down but couldn't get more than 3 seconds through the same show without it hanging. I've since switched back to wired, rebooted again, powered down/up my router & am still experiencing the "every 3 second hang." Based on all of this, can you make any suggestions on what I can do to get consistent performance from the Flash site? I recognize that the Real Player site's life was only about 7 months so now it's going away for good. When RP functionality was pulled in April, I looked around and, frankly, didn't find too many viable alternatives. I'd like to stick with VIP since I've been using it for almost 2 years, and I'm an American expat living in SE Asia and need my lifeline to my shows. I hope someone can help.

I just did the flash check suggested & was able to see the movie on that site without error. Also confirmed I'm on the latest version of flash (11.1.something.something.somethingelse). Any other suggestions on what I can do? I just tried flash again & same thing - buffer every 3 seconds.

I spent the weekend at my girlfriend's place & tested Flash from her computer. Everything worked well so that helped me eliminate my country location (Singapore) as the source of the issue. Her computer's a 3 year old Vaio & mine's a 3 year old HP. I thought it might be a video card issue because she tried to Skype from my machine when we were travelling & it didn't work. So we brought her laptop to my place on Sunday & experienced the same buffer every 3 seconds that I do with my own laptop. We're in different parts of Singapore but, most importantly, we have different providers. She uses Singtel & I use Starhub. I'm going to try & bring my computer to her place next weekend & then to another friend's apartment who has Starhub. I really hope we can figure this out. The good news is, at least, I got to watch the return of Fringe. That's the only show I really care about. Too bad it's probably going to be cancelled in May.

@olia I agree it would be truly sad to see Fringe go. Being a TV addict, I read TV Line daily. There are already pieces quoting Fox management who are proud of what the makers of Fringe are putting out there but, alas, the show is losing money. Ratings from last Friday were steady but they'll have to have an uptick to attract advertisers & I doubt that such a complicated show as Fringe, which one can't simply watch for the first time in season 4 & understand everything, will gain many new viewers in the next few months. Last hope will be meetings between Fox & the show's production company this Spring. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, though, season 4 will be the last broadcast TV episodes of Fringe. The makers are already saying that the season 4 finale can stand as a series finale, but they did the same for season 3 as ratings were not great last year either. Fringe was only saved by the production company making a sweetheart deal with Fox. If it does go off TV, they are already talking about continuing via webisodes which I imagine all acting talent will participate in because how many opportunities do actresses & actors get to play so many versions of the same characters? Such is life in the business of show. At least we still have great shows like White Collar, Game of Thrones, Suits, Breaking Bad (for 2 more half seasons), The Walking Dead, The Good Wife, American Horror Story, Sons of Anarchy, True Blood, Californication, Dexter, Homeland & Shameless (totally awesome). I don't know if Luther will be back for a 3rd series but that, and the UK Sherlock, are both very good as well. I only hope I can sort my Flash issues so I can keep watching them all on VIPTV.

US server only? What about the international server? I just came home after the hours it took to load a full episode of Castle and, even though the progress bar showed full red, it stuck on buffering after a minute & seventeen seconds.

I've been having these loading issues on the EU server since before the US server went under maintenance. I've been having these Flash issues since it was first launched last year. I'm getting 5-10 mbps download speed & I have the latest version of Flash installed. I keep seeing posts from other people with the same problems but I'm not seeing solutions. I keep seeing the same recommendations to use Chrome & update Flash. I was hopeful when mention of another server popped up but now it turns out that's not even relevant to my location. Real Player may have it's share of problems but the shows load in less than 60 seconds. In Flash, it takes over 4 hours to load a 40 minute show. Where are the solutions for all the people who've been posting they can't use Flash? Are we simply out of luck where VIPTV is concerned? If you have no solutions beyond simply recommending Chrome & the latest version of Flash, please tell us so we don't keep holding out hope that things are going to get better. After weeks of dealing with this, I just want to know what the reality is and I'm sure everyone else experiencing these Flash buffer problems would feel the same. Why is Real Player not a problem but Flash a problem? What more can be done to address the Flash player problems?

Thread