Thread
Printable Version

Doctor Who Season 7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 32#32 waterlilybarb's post

I did find the background at the start interesting but than when they moved to the planet i kind of didn't like it. I have admitted on many occasional i don't like musical but that didn't annoy me i just didn't care .  Last week episode i enjoyed more than this.

Reply 33#33 bala's post

Interesting.  What really struck me in this episode was how young and old Matt Smith, as the Doctor, really seemed.  When he was sharing his memories, and going on about how he'd been there at the birth of the universe, and seen the ends of worlds - I found it intriguing and it reminded me what the Doctor really was, as opposed to some of the other episodes, which I enjoyed, but are stand alone episodes.  This one seemed important in the grander scheme of the series, even if just to remind newer viewers that the Doctor is not just a mad man in a blue box.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 34#34 waterlilybarb's post

i see what your saying but i really didn't need to them to tell me all of that but i agree newer viewers would certainly found it interesting but as sci-fi fan i already knew how old and wise he is. With him talking about his life i was like seriously do they think audience don't know he's old this character is ?.

but It was nice reminder

Reply 35#35 bala's post

Funny how the same thing can elicit such different thoughts.  I know and am always aware of how old he is, but I do think that with a new companion - in whatever era she turns up in - it's nice to remember that the show is really about the Doctor, and that his adventures, while entertaining, often reveal more about his journey than they seem to.  Different sides of his character and personality are shown.  I also find that each incarnation of the Doctor reveals the different sides of his nature, and we are seeing the darker side a bit more with Matt's portrayal.  I love that he's fun and goofy, but I also really like when he shows that darker side, because after everything the Doctor has seen and experienced, it would be a shame if he just seemed like an odd alien popping in and out of people's lives.

Reply 35#35 bala's post

I think it had more to do with pulling in more viewers who are not up to date with the Doctor.  They are writting for more stand alone episodes, than the suble story arcs we are use too.

I personally don't care about those people.  Watch them on netflix catch up and lets get on with it!
I'm not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Reply 36#36 waterlilybarb's post

I think it's because we different people as sci-fi fan i don't obese over small details i am more interested in overall plot rather than small things which you seem to enjoy. For me i want to know who Clara is. I am surprised to say this but she is certainly most interesting companion he ever had because he has no clue who she is or what she is that's right i don't think she's human.

Reply 38#38 bala's post

I agree - I am VERY interested to find out who Clara is...to the point that I've taken to scouring the net for all the bits of information we've already learned about her to see if I can figure it out.  LOL!  She is definitely the most interesting companion I've seen.  I don't know if I think she's human or not.  She really is the "impossible girl".
As you can see, I DO enjoy the small details, but the overall story is most important to me.  If the main story/plot were not interesting, and the characters were not people/beings I could relate to, I wouldn't be interested in the show at all.  It's because I enjoy it so much that I find the small things so fascinating, and with Clara, there is much to wonder about.

The Doctor referred to his granddaughter in this episode.  I am beginning to wonder if Clara is the daughter of RIver Song, which would make her the Doctor's daughter (even if just by marriage).  

I think this is probably the only show I've been so intrigued with the details in a while.  When Lost was on, I was always looking for the little things, but the way the ended that series just ticked me off.  There aren't too many shows that have proper "mysterious" things in them, that make me wonder and want to know more.

@arksongbird
I've not had a chance to watch all the old episodes (from the beginning of the series) - but have watched some and enjoy them.  I don't have netflix, but I checked it out for the free week, and the old epis are not available on the Canadian version.  If they were, I'd likely subscribe for a few months, at least.  Also, I'm not new to the series, and could do with fewer stand alone episodes, but I like the parts in the episodes when the Doctor refers to things done by earlier incarnations of himself.  To me, that helps with the continuity of the series, and it makes new viewers more inclined to look into viewing the older episodes.

Reply 39#39 waterlilybarb's post

I haven't been able to watch the 1970's episodes.  Netflix has the episodes starting in 2005.  

I missed the reference to his granddaughter. I think it had something to do with an earlier 1970 episode.....

Reply 40#40 arksongbird80's post

The first Doctor travelled with his granddaughter Susan.  I've seen several episodes from the very 1st season, and then some from different eras.  

7x06 The Bells of Saint John

Using Wi-Fi to upload human minds into the Internet was a interesting story line as we would all be lost without it now and turning the Wi-Fi on the organiser was poetic justice

7x07 The Rings of Akhaten

Clara befriending the young girl, Merry was great as it was her first trip in the TARDIS but loved the story behind the leaf and Clara's life

Cold war

Well trust doctor accidently find trouble on Russian submarine and finding ancient ice warrior was great but they really didn't have much room to move. Clara finally seen a consequence of travelling with the doctor .

Reply 44#44 bala's post

i just wasnt overly impressed with this episode.  I'm glad the ice warrior was reintroduced.  Hopefully we'll see more of them.  

clara just fell flat for me.  I expected her to say something, then she wouldn't and when she did it was just ehh.

7x08 Cold War

I found it amusing that as far as those on the submarine they were speaking Russian and wanting to know if Ultravox have split up was priceless

Hide

Well i didn't like this episode it was just too cliche

7x09 Hide

The mysterious ghost turning out to be Hila is trapped in a collapsing pocket dimension was bizarre and you just knew there would be complications going into the worm hole

Reply 48#48 codebreaker's post

They didn't explain how tardis got there because doctor said it was dangerous taking it there but Clara managed to make it but do it a second time was rather ridiculous since it was already collapsing?. They would been stuck. Do they think we are not pay attention to the episode ?. For a sci-fi show i expected better type episodes.

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

This was good episode until the last 5 minutes which ruined the episode because using a cliche of Kara hand to solve the problem was ridclous he suppose to be the doctor until he saw Kara hand he was at point of giving up. He suppose to be the doctor he's not suppose to give up and this really ruined what was good episode.

7x10 Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Clara's face when she left the control room only to end up going back their time and time again was amusing

7x11 The Crimson Horror

Good title considering how the dead looked but I had a felling Ada would kill the creature when it left her mother an how is Clara going to explain her time travel

Thread