Thread
Printable Version

Doctor Who Season 7 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 5#5 arksongbird80's post

SPOILER ALERT:

That is the actress who is going to be the new companion.  Her name in this epi was Oswin Oswald, but it's not quite the same as the name given for the new companion.  I have to say, if it IS this character (which is possible with wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff), THAT was a great introduction.  Now I'm even more curious about her, and like that they kind of introduced her before she becomes more important, because it will make the change (and farewell of the Ponds) a tiny bit easier.  
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 7#7 arksongbird80's post

The Ponds are in the first part of this season (and since they are the Doctor's in-laws, I expect they might show up sometime in the future), and the new companion is slated to begin with the Christmas Special.  I hope she is playing this character, as I really liked her too.  Not only spunky, but a genius to boot.

Reply 9#9 bala's post

While I'm curious, I haven't looked for more info.  Some of the info was very widely publicized, so unless someone has taken every possible precaution to avoid some spoilers, it was hard to miss them.  As for this companion, I like the ingenuity of the meeting, and look forward to the Christmas episode to see how she is properly introduced.  

Reply 11#11 bala's post

I rather enjoyed it, especially meeting Rory's Dad.  I thought it was fun, and at the same time we saw a little of the dark side of the Doctor again, which we haven't seen in a while.  They are already preparing us for the departure of  the Ponds (LOL), and I really hope it isn't a sad departure.  I really like them and will be sorry to see them go, but I know it's time for someone new.  I just want them to leave and be happy.  What I REALLY want, is for the Doctor to bring them somewhere where Amy can be fixed so she can have children, and for her & Rory to leave and raise a family.  I know, I'm a sap.

Reply 14#14 bala's post

That was heart-wrenching!  I admit, I was bawling.  I will miss them a lot, but I'm sure I'll come to like the new companion when the Christmas Special airs.  I hate that we have to wait again.

Reply 16#16 arksongbird80's post

The even sadder part is that I follow a couple of Doctor Who fan pages on Facebook, and some of the posts since the epi aired seem to make it even sadder (some of them make me teary just reading them), though the fan art is really awesome.

Reply 1#1 bala's post

LOVED it!  I think we are meant to believe she exists in a modern time.  I don't know if she will know him or not, but I'm finding this introduction of a companion quite intriguing, since she has now been in 2 episodes, and still isn't one.

Reply 4#4 bala's post

No, it doesn't mean she would have to be a permanent companion.  She might decide to leave the Doctor and have a "normal" life somewhere.  

Reply 6#6 arksongbird80's post

She's definitely going to be the new companion.  I just thought Bala's assumption that if she exists in all time periods, they must be planning on making her a permanent companion for the Doctor, ie: there won't be any other new companions in future, doesn't really make sense.  

I really liked it too, and was glad it was about Clara, as we got to know more about her.  She's definitely unique, and MOST definitely quite brilliant.  I hate having to wait until April to find out more.

Reply 31#31 bala's post

Boring, really?!  Wow, I didn't find it boring at all.  I thought when the Doctor was sharing his memories with whatever that thing was was really something, and then when Clara shared from that leaf (trying not to post spoilers in case someone reads this before seeing it), I was rather entranced.  I also found it interesting how the Doctor watched how Clara came about.  There is still SO much we don't know about her.  I think this time was in the same lifetime as last week, but earlier.  

Reply 33#33 bala's post

Interesting.  What really struck me in this episode was how young and old Matt Smith, as the Doctor, really seemed.  When he was sharing his memories, and going on about how he'd been there at the birth of the universe, and seen the ends of worlds - I found it intriguing and it reminded me what the Doctor really was, as opposed to some of the other episodes, which I enjoyed, but are stand alone episodes.  This one seemed important in the grander scheme of the series, even if just to remind newer viewers that the Doctor is not just a mad man in a blue box.

Reply 35#35 bala's post

Funny how the same thing can elicit such different thoughts.  I know and am always aware of how old he is, but I do think that with a new companion - in whatever era she turns up in - it's nice to remember that the show is really about the Doctor, and that his adventures, while entertaining, often reveal more about his journey than they seem to.  Different sides of his character and personality are shown.  I also find that each incarnation of the Doctor reveals the different sides of his nature, and we are seeing the darker side a bit more with Matt's portrayal.  I love that he's fun and goofy, but I also really like when he shows that darker side, because after everything the Doctor has seen and experienced, it would be a shame if he just seemed like an odd alien popping in and out of people's lives.

Reply 38#38 bala's post

I agree - I am VERY interested to find out who Clara is...to the point that I've taken to scouring the net for all the bits of information we've already learned about her to see if I can figure it out.  LOL!  She is definitely the most interesting companion I've seen.  I don't know if I think she's human or not.  She really is the "impossible girl".
As you can see, I DO enjoy the small details, but the overall story is most important to me.  If the main story/plot were not interesting, and the characters were not people/beings I could relate to, I wouldn't be interested in the show at all.  It's because I enjoy it so much that I find the small things so fascinating, and with Clara, there is much to wonder about.

The Doctor referred to his granddaughter in this episode.  I am beginning to wonder if Clara is the daughter of RIver Song, which would make her the Doctor's daughter (even if just by marriage).  

I think this is probably the only show I've been so intrigued with the details in a while.  When Lost was on, I was always looking for the little things, but the way the ended that series just ticked me off.  There aren't too many shows that have proper "mysterious" things in them, that make me wonder and want to know more.

@arksongbird
I've not had a chance to watch all the old episodes (from the beginning of the series) - but have watched some and enjoy them.  I don't have netflix, but I checked it out for the free week, and the old epis are not available on the Canadian version.  If they were, I'd likely subscribe for a few months, at least.  Also, I'm not new to the series, and could do with fewer stand alone episodes, but I like the parts in the episodes when the Doctor refers to things done by earlier incarnations of himself.  To me, that helps with the continuity of the series, and it makes new viewers more inclined to look into viewing the older episodes.

Reply 40#40 arksongbird80's post

The first Doctor travelled with his granddaughter Susan.  I've seen several episodes from the very 1st season, and then some from different eras.  

Reply 58#58 bala's post

I thought the man was going to be the Great Intelligence too!  Very nice twist.  I loved how they put Clara throughout the Doctor's entire timeline, and think they did a good job of inserting her in the old clips.  

And, Matt, Jenna, and Steven Moffatt are returning next season, though I've no idea how many episodes Matt will be in.  

Reply 60#60 arksongbird80's post

In the UK, each season is called a series, so it's the same as season finale.  We never saw River die.  I believe, other than the 50th anniversary special, that she is done though.  Remember when they kissed, and he said they'd never done that before?  That was the last kiss for her, but the first for the Doctor - though I don't know if this one counts, since she wasn't REALLY there.

As for John Hurt, we know he is the Doctor, but we don't know when.  Matt is coming back next season, but there is most likely a regeneration in the works.  Jenna is returning as Clara too.  It's a matter of wait and see, because we don't exactly know where the story is going from here.  

I've watched it twice so far, and there's a lot of info.  I'll be watching it again.  

Reply 9#9 brittmarie033's post

None of the Christmas specials are on the site.  We keep asking, so maybe in the future they will be added, but for now, you need to find another source for them.  I watched it on television, but you might find it on itunes or netflix. Netflix offers a 7 day free trial, but being in Canada, I don't know if they have it or not.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Reply 1#1 bala's post

I loved it, and thought it didn't cause any problems that can't be explained in future episodes.

Thread