Thread
Printable Version

Penny Dreadful Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Penny Dreadful Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Penny Dreadful Premieres on Showtime on May 11, 2014

In Penny Dreadful, some of literature's most famously terrifying characters - including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, Dorian Gray and iconic figures from the novel Dracula - become embroiled in Victorian London. The series weaves together these classic horror origin stories as the characters grapple with their monstrous alienation. This project marks Logan and Mendes' second major collaboration, following Skyfall, their recent critically-acclaimed and box office record-breaking James Bond film, which Mendes directed and Logan co-wrote; and their first ever collaboration for television. The project will be produced by Mendes' production company Neal Street Productions.

Source
Homepage

Discuss Anything About Penny Dreadful Here

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 4-28-2014 09:29 ]

Pilot

Nice first episode introduce us to the character on the team slowly and ending bring dead body back to life by accident as result of lighting strike was great place to leave us wanting more. I am curious how he lost his daughter and whether she's human or supernatural .

This has now been added to the flash site

Showtime Renews ‘Penny Dreadful’ for Expanded Second Season

Showtime’s successful series, ‘Penny Dreadful,’ starring Eva Green and Josh Hartnett, has just been granted a second season renewal. That’s not the only good news, as Season 2 will be 10 episodes -- two more than the show’s freshman season.

“Picking up ‘Penny Dreadful’ was one of the easiest decisions I’ve made,” Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement. “[Series creator] John Logan has deftly created an epic series that has drawn raves from a wide-range of audiences from quality drama lovers to critics, to hardcore genre fans.”

courtesy http://www.tvrage.com/

I've always wanted to watch this show. Last year I was surprised when I heard that the show was suddenly coming to an end. But, after watching season 2 and 3 I understand why the decision was made.

S2 wasn't that bad but it was dragged out and the extra 2 episodes wasn't needed to show the weakness that would eventually become S3. What utter rubbish that was.

- I loved Dorian's character but Lily's storyline was simply ridiculous. They should've made John kill her
- I loved the actor who played Dr. Jekyll - too bad we did not get to see Mr. Hyde.
- Since when do vampires have the ability to walk in daylight and die by gunshots to the head and back? I understand Dracula having none of the known vampire weakness - but not his minions.
- The character of Catriona Hartdegen wasn't needed and the actress was miscast for the role. But, I guess they wanted someone younger than Lyle to do the physical scenes
- Keeping Hecate's character in the mix was dumb

My favorite character was Caliban/John Clare. Dude (actor & character) was a breath of fresh air. Favorite episodes 103 and 203.

Overall, it was a okay series. But season 3, and some aspects of 2 would never make it great.

Thread