Thread
Printable Version

Penny Dreadful Season 1-2 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Showtime Renews ‘Penny Dreadful’ for Expanded Second Season

Showtime’s successful series, ‘Penny Dreadful,’ starring Eva Green and Josh Hartnett, has just been granted a second season renewal. That’s not the only good news, as Season 2 will be 10 episodes -- two more than the show’s freshman season.

“Picking up ‘Penny Dreadful’ was one of the easiest decisions I’ve made,” Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement. “[Series creator] John Logan has deftly created an epic series that has drawn raves from a wide-range of audiences from quality drama lovers to critics, to hardcore genre fans.”

courtesy http://www.tvrage.com/

I've always wanted to watch this show. Last year I was surprised when I heard that the show was suddenly coming to an end. But, after watching season 2 and 3 I understand why the decision was made.

S2 wasn't that bad but it was dragged out and the extra 2 episodes wasn't needed to show the weakness that would eventually become S3. What utter rubbish that was.

- I loved Dorian's character but Lily's storyline was simply ridiculous. They should've made John kill her
- I loved the actor who played Dr. Jekyll - too bad we did not get to see Mr. Hyde.
- Since when do vampires have the ability to walk in daylight and die by gunshots to the head and back? I understand Dracula having none of the known vampire weakness - but not his minions.
- The character of Catriona Hartdegen wasn't needed and the actress was miscast for the role. But, I guess they wanted someone younger than Lyle to do the physical scenes
- Keeping Hecate's character in the mix was dumb

My favorite character was Caliban/John Clare. Dude (actor & character) was a breath of fresh air. Favorite episodes 103 and 203.

Overall, it was a okay series. But season 3, and some aspects of 2 would never make it great.

Thread