Thread
Printable Version

About the Show Member Challenge

About the Show Member Challenge

We have decided to give members a chance to help improve our site. As you know we would like to Change our About the Show threads to make them more uniform and informative. We know that many of you are great fans of the shows on the forum and could possibly do a much better job. Here is your chance.
We have narrowed down 2 templates to choose from The X-files and Stargate Atlantis. You are welcome to improve upon them but your improvements may not be used. Be sure to list your references. Do not post it in the forum. Post it here. If yours is chosen you will be awarded 5 points and if part is chosen you will be awarded 2 points. Here is a link to the Discuz Code. This will help you understand how to add pictures and links. Have fun, We look forward to seeing what you come up with. And if you have any Questions be sure to ask.

are you just looking for improved "about" pages for shows that already exist here, or for shows that are going to be added?
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

Reply 2#2 sddvasquez's post

Both and Shows that are missing one.

I prefer the XFiles template.  It is well organized and easy on the eyes.  I like the actor links to IMDB and would like to see a show link to the IMDB as well.  For current series, a link to the series website might also be useful.   Finally, because it is "about the show" the creators signature should be removed it is distracting.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

Reply 4#4 munch's post

The signature is so the person who did all the work is recognized for it and your suggestions are interesting why not be part of the challenge and get to work on that. Pick a show you feel needs a better About the Show and get to work.

for current series, the link to the series website has been going under the picture at the top. for series that are no longer in production that picture could carry the link to the show's main page at the imdb, good idea.

or The shows main Fansite or some shows still have an official webpage

Quote:
Originally posted by gabsimom at 1-17-2008 00:59  
The signature is so the person who did all the work is recognized for it  
I have no problem with the author getting credit but some of the signature images distract from the information
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

Reply 8#8 munch's post

I can see that.

Reply 9#9 gabsimom's post

Perhaps we can create a dummy Super Moderator Account, that would be used to post ABOUT SHOWS. This way the sig, will have nothing, and therefore no distractions.
A Fine Member of the Mod  Squad!

i would vote to keep the signatures. we like to see who's behind the text and the person who posted it is able to make updates as needed. (plus really, most of the video signatures are too cool, little betcha dog jumping out of the manhole! )

Reply  10#10 dognxtdoor's post
I think we can just disable it. That is if a majority find it distracting.

Reply  11#11 sddvasquez's post
I like them to.

Reply 12#12 gabsimom's post

In the options at the side there is a check box for the signature. Just uncheck if you dont want to use it

Reply 13#13 casper27's post

Thanks, I was just telling everyone in a less obvious way.

I know I'm a bit behind in this, but I wanted to give my input anyway. I like the x-files "about the show", I think that sd did a great job. It's neat and uniform, the shows information is readily available. There is only one thing I would change, that is the "how to become a VIP member" at the bottom of the page. Having it in the "small print" makes it really difficult to see and I think many people will just over look it. I think it might be better, if that was changed to "normal print". That is the only thing, I think needs improving. The rest of it, looks fantastic. Hat's off to sd for such a great job!!

Reply 15#15 gypsiegirl66's post

It's been amended.   Thanks for the suggestion.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

This challenge is open for anyone wanting to earn points without doing quizzes or watching shows.
Go check my latest updates in Big Love, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1 for examples on how to do it.
And please if you have questions on how I did something don't hesitate to ask. Also just because a show has an about show thread doesn't mean it is up to par. Thanks

we've been thinking a while about a third style. torres's "about charmed" made us think that an "about" that focused more on the characters would be nice, particularly for foreign anime, but also for some sci fi shows. how about these?

“I am the son, and the heir…”

the story:
Running for eight seasons between 1998 and 2006, Charmed begins with the three Halliwell sisters—Prudence, Piper, and Phoebe—coming together six months after the death of their grandmother. Moving back into the family Manor in San Francisco, Phoebe, discovers an old book—the Book of Shadows—in the attic. Reading an incantation from it, she unwittingly sets in motion events that fulfill an ancient prophecy. Strange and harrowing occurrences begin which eventually lead the sisters to realize that they are witches. Together they have the “Power of Three”, and are stronger than with their single abilities alone. A central theme throughout the show’s run is the sisters’ struggle to balance their normal lives with their supernatural responsibilities.

the charmed ones:

info compiled from wikipedia.org and the imdb.

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Charmed on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 01:24 ]

[ Last edited by gabsimom at 3-24-2008 02:35 ]
Recent Ratings
  • lbjedward Points +10 Great 3-26-2008 04:31
  • lbjedward Points +10 Great 3-26-2008 04:31
  • lbjedward Treasure +10 Great 3-26-2008 04:29
  • gabsimom Points +2 Bonus! 3-24-2008 07:40
  • 01torres Points +8 Great Work I put it up for you. 3-24-2008 04:24

Naruto Uzumaki, is a loud, hyperactive, unpredictable adolescent ninja who constantly searches for recognition and aspires to become a Hokage, the ninja in the village acknowledged as the leader and the strongest of all.

the story:
Twelve years before the events at the focus of the series, the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox attacked Konohagakure. Powerful enough to raise tsunamis and flatten mountains with a swish of one of its tails, it raised chaos and slaughtered many people, until the leader of the Leaf Village – the Fourth Hokage – sacrificed his own life to seal the demon inside Naruto when he was a newborn. Celebrated as a hero for sealing the demon fox away, the Fourth Hokage wanted Naruto to be respected in a similar light by being the containment vessel for the demon fox.

The Leaf Village, however, shunned him, regarding Naruto as if he were the demon fox itself and mistreated him throughout most of his childhood. Treated like an outcast, he grew up an orphan without friends, family, or acknowledgment. He could not force people to befriend him, so he sought acknowledgment and attention the only way he knew – through pranks and mischief.

That soon changed after Naruto graduated from the Ninja Academy by using his Shadow Clone Technique, a technique from a forbidden scroll that he was tricked into stealing, to save his teacher. That encounter gave Naruto two insights: that he was the container of the demon fox, and that there was someone besides the Third Hokage who actually cared for and acknowledged him. His graduation from the academy opened a gateway to the events and people that would change and define his world, including his way of the ninja for the rest of his life.

The main story follows Naruto and his friends’ personal growth and development as ninja, and emphasizes their interactions with each other and the influence of their backgrounds on their personalities. Naruto finds two friends and comrades in Sasuke Uchiha and Sakura Haruno, two fellow young ninja who are assigned with him to form a three-person team under an experienced sensei named Kakashi Hatake. Naruto also confides in other characters that he meets throughout the series as well. They learn new abilities, get to know each other and other villagers better, and experience a coming-of-age journey as Naruto dreams of becoming the Hokage of the Leaf Village.

introducing:

The 220 episodes of Naruto originally aired in Japan between October 3, 2002 and February 8, 2007. The series continues as Naruto Shippuden, which began to air on February 15, 2007.
info compiled from wikipedia.org

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Naruto on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 01:27 ]

[ Last edited by gabsimom at 3-24-2008 01:36 ]

[ Last edited by gabsimom at 3-24-2008 02:39 ]
Recent Ratings

Thread