Thread
Printable Version

About the Show Member Challenge

After two years of training, Naruto returns to face new enemies and enemies and old friends. He may have come back older, but is he wiser or stronger?

the story
In another world, ninja are the ultimate power, and in the Village Hidden in the Leaves live the stealthiest ninja in the land. Fifteen years earlier, a fearsome nine-tailed fox terrorized the village and claimed many lives before it was subdued and its spirit sealed within the body of a baby boy. That boy, Naruto Uzumaki, has grown up to become a ninja-in-training who’s more interested in pranks than in studying ninjutsu, but Naruto is determined to become the greatest ninja ever!

From volume 28 onward, the series takes place two and a half years after the previous volume. While simply referred to as Part II in the manga, the anime gave this part of the series the name Naruto: Shippūden (lit. Naruto: Hurricane Chronicles). Naruto: Shippūden tells the story of a matured and older cast from the original series. After training for 2½ years, Naruto returns to Konohagakure, reunites with the friends he left behind, and reforms Team 7, with Sai replacing Sasuke.

Unlike the original series, the organization of Akatsuki (an organization of criminal ninja), which played a minor role earlier, takes on the main antagonist role in their attempts of world domination. All of Naruto’s classmates have matured and improved in the ranks, some more than others.

who are they?

For the first part of the story: see the About Naruto thread here.
info compiled from wikipedia.org

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Naruto Shippūden on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 3-23-2008 22:49 ]
Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +5 Bonus for above and beyond what was requ 3-23-2008 19:38
  • waterlilybarb Points +5 Excellent! Go check it out in the NS fo 3-23-2008 17:57

oops, forgot to turn off the sig on the first two!

yes, they seem text heavy but i really tried to make them as streamlined as possible. also, there are quite a few huge pictures that would be nicer a little bit smaller so that at least the main gist of the story would be accessible at a glance without having to scroll.

what about these?
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

There are monsters loose in the world. And they are the key to the future of our race.

or

There are monsters loose in the world. And they are the key to the future of our race.

It's Alive!

Putting the Fun back in Dysfunctional!

oh, forgot this one

She will do whatever it takes to protect her son. He must find a way to save humanity from judgment day when the machines rebel. They have a terminator on their side–for now.

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 01:13 ]
Recent Ratings
  • waterlilybarb Points +2 For the great Sanctuary banner & log 3-23-2008 19:39

i know that torres has to check the charmed one and that trulee has to check the naruto ones. since naruto and naruto shippuden don't already have an about thread could i post them there after they are polished and ok'd? (more particularly shippuden because it's still in production but i prefer to be able to update and edit them personally)

Reply 24#24 sddvasquez's post

I know Trulee loves Naruto but she is not the Mod for those forums. Go ahead and post those 2. I am sure she as well as the other fans will love what you have done.

oh, that's right - she can just edit them herself directly there. but if she - or any other fan - finds an error or infelicity in the text that i have as a graphic, please let me know so that i can fix them.

Fame has its price. She’s here to collect.

the story
Lucy Spiller is the editor-in-chief of the first-of-its-kind “glossy tabloid” magazine DirtNow, which was previously two separate publications: Drrt! (a tabloid) and Now (a glossy magazine). The show centers around the publication of the magazine and the lives of Spiller, and her long time friend Don Konkey, a paparazzo and functioning schizophrenic who is deeply loyal to her. Also included are the lives of some of the celebrities covered by the magazine, including Holt McLaren and Julia Mallory, a celebrity couple.

Most episodes focus upon Lucy’s never-ending quest to find new news stories regarding celebrities nut, as the series progresses, we learn more about Lucy and Don’s personal lives.  A functional schizophrenic, Don regularly hallucinates and hears voices, which is often filtered through his sense of guilt over the questionable actions he takes in order to help Lucy land her stories and the fall-out that comes from exposing people’s dark secrets. Lucy meanwhile is secretly depressed, her life is totally devoted towards the magazine, to the extent of forgoing any sort of social life whatsoever.

The strike-shortened second season currently running will have only seven episodes.

the main cast:
Courteney CoxLucy Spiller

Ian Hart
Don Konkey

Josh Stewart
Holt McLaren

Alexandra Breckenridge
Willa McPherson

Laura Allen
Julia Mallory

Jeffrey Nordling
Brent Barrow

Will McCormack
Leo Spiller

I’m not a celebrity, but I play one on tv: The show’s “celebrities” aren’t real, but several are based on real people. Similarities include: a celebrity who dies of a drug overdose and whose funeral is crashed by paparazzi who took pictures of the body holding a flower (River Phoenix); the Southern father/manager of two singers/reality television stars (Joe, Jessica and, Ashlee Simpson); two spoiled, inseparable celebutantes (Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie); a wealthy pregnant woman previously married to an elderly man who inherited his fortune (Anna Nicole Smith); and a sitcom star screaming at his daughter in a phone message (Alec Baldwin)
info compiled from wikipedia.org and the imdb.

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Dirt on this site, please go here

Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +10 5/5 use/excellence 3-24-2008 07:38

I am Duncan MacLeod, born four hundred years ago in the Highlands of Scotland. I am Immortal and I am not alone.

the story:
Running for six seasons between the fall of 1992 and the spring of 1998, Highlander: The Series was an offshoot of the Highlander movies. The story centers on the life of the Immortal Duncan MacLeod, who is a clansman to the main character from the movies, Connor MacLeod.

Immortals: All Immortals are foundlings. They age normally until their first deaths (which are always violent), at which time they "resurrect" for the first time. Afterward, they do not age, and can only be killed by beheading. All Immortals are also sterile. Immortals have normal susceptibility to the things that are fatal to mortal humans, and will "die" from them, only to resurrect shortly thereafter. Immortals sense the presence of nearby Immortals in a phenomenon called the Buzz.

Quickening: When an Immortal is beheaded, there is a powerful energy release from their body called the Quickening. This energy is absorbed by the Immortal who actually took the dead Immortal's head. When no Immortal is nearby, the Quickening dissipates. It is said to contain the power, wisdom, and experience of the beheaded Immortal.

Watchers and Hunters: The Watchers are a secret society that covertly observes the lives of the Immortals without revealing themselves. Each Immortal is assigned a Watcher, whose sole job is to monitor and record their activities. The Hunters, on the other hand, are an offshoot of the Watchers, with the stated goal of killing all Immortals.

the main cast:
Adrian Paul Duncan MacLeod

Stan Kirsch
Richie Ryan

Jim Byrnes
Joe Dawson
Alexandra Vandernoot Tessa Noël

Spin-offs: The movie Highlander: The Source was released in 2007. The television series Highlander: The Raven lasted for one twenty-two episode season from the fall of 1998 to the spring of 1999. In 2001, The Methos Chronicles, an animated Internet Flash-series based on Methos, a character drawn from the television series, lasted for a season of eight episodes.
info compiled from wikipedia.org and the imdb.

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Highlander: The Series on this site, please go here

Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +10 5/5 use/bonus excellence! 3-24-2008 07:37

here's a slimmer graphic and more info for about farscape. i left the jim henson link under the graphic because scifi.com STILL won't give any more info on the webisodes than this, aarrgh! but the wiki might be better updated.

Accidentally traveling through a wormhole to a distant part of the universe, a present-day astronaut finds himself part of a fugitive alien starship crew.

“My name is John Crichton, an astronaut. A radiation wave hit and I got shot through a wormhole. Now I’m lost in some distant part of the universe on a ship, a living ship, full of strange alien life forms. Help me. Listen, please. Is anybody out there who can hear me? I’m being hunted... by an insane military commander. I’m doing everything I can. I’m just looking for a way home.”

the story:
Astronaut John Crichton, on an experimental space mission, attempting to use the Earth’s atmosphere to propel his ship, Farscape 1, at great speeds across the solar system, is accidentally sucked into a wormhole to a distant part of the galaxy and into the midst of an intergalactic conflict.  He is rescued by a group of escaping prisoners and taken aboard their ship, a living ship, called Moya.  Trapped among alien creatures wielding deadly technology and hunted by a merciless military race ironically called Peacekeepers, Crichton is on an epic odyssey more spectacular than anything he has ever imagined.  As the years go by, Crichton makes some great friends but also some enemies – powerful and dangerous enemies.

the main cast:
Ben Browder    John Crichton

Claudia Black
   Officer Aeryn Sun

Anthony Simcoe
   Ka D’Argo

Lani John Tupu
   Voice of Pilot

Jonathan Hardy
   Dominar Rygel XVI

Gigi Edgley
   Chiana

Wayne Pygram
   Scorpius

Virginia Hey
   Pa’u Zotoh Zhaan

You probably didn’t know: Virginia Hey was originally required to shave her head for the full-body makeup needed for Zhaan. In later episodes, the makeup was modified to include a skullcap, allowing her to grow her hair back. Besides her problems with contact lenses, the make-up itself also negatively impacted Hey’s health and was a factor in her decision to leave the series. Also, the voice of Pilot  is provided by Lani John Tupu who appeared regularly as Captain Crais.
info compiled from wikipedia.org, tv.com, and the imdb

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Farscape on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 3-23-2008 23:27 ]
Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +10 5/5 use/bonus excellence! 3-24-2008 07:37

Reply 30#30 sddvasquez's post

I LOVE that one!  Farscape is a favourite of mine.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

let me see if i can force that table! and have you found anything more recent on the webisodes? (will we need to campaign to get them included here when they come up? we're still waiting on the new episodes of futurama that have started airing!)

edit: there it goes. just have to give it a kick sometimes!

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 03:10 ]

Reply 32#32 sddvasquez's post

No, and I keep checking.  I think the writer's strike put that behind too.   I've already put a request in for the webisodes when they're available, but we'll have to be more vocal when they're actually available.

p.s. I DID know that Virginia shaved her head for the first season.

Reply #33 waterlilybarb's post

hhmmm, we NEVER would have guessed THAT about you! bwahahahahahhaaa!

Reply 34#34 sddvasquez's post

I know.  I have become what I once mocked!   I used to tease my Mum about the sci-fi she watched, now I'm the one who's a sci-fi junkie.  I never would've thought it, all those years ago.  Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

you should have posted that your mom is a sci fi fan in the "one thing you may not know about me" thread! that's too cool. what type of sci fi does she like? i wish my parents had cool taste in music or literature! (i can't wait for my kid to tell me how square my tastes are - boy is she going to catch it)

ok, here are a couple more for now...

Voodoo rituals, fallen angels, lesbian ghosts, evil fairies...A remote English country school becomes the battleground between a demonic entity and the witches who oppose it.

The 19 episodes of this two-season British series originally aired from the fall of 2004 to the winter of 2005. From its outset, Hex appears to be the story of Cassie Hughes, an attractive but withdrawn young woman who enrolls at a boarding school but can’t quite seem to fit into the social milieu, but the second season shifts the focus from the departing Cassie to a new heroine, Ella Dee.

the story:
Hex is set at a remote English school, Medenham Hall, which occupies the former manor house and grounds of the McBain estate. It was the site of an 18th Century witchcraft scandal in which the female members of the line, the Medenham Witches, were tried and executed. Cassie, who raised herself in a single-parent household caring for her mentally unstable mother, has latent telekinetic and clairvoyant abilities that are awakened when she touches an antique vase that had been used in voodoo rituals by the Medenham Witches. Her roommate, Thelma (who harbors an ill-concealed crush on Cassie), discovers that Cassie is a descendant of the Medenham Witches. Cassie has startling visions and dreams that she strives to interpret, and also struggles with controlling her growing telekinetic powers, which she is only able to summon in times of stress.

In the second season, a new student arrives at Medenham: Ella Dee. Thelma, who has been murdered but whose ghost remains close to Cassie, is mildly attracted until she realizes that Ella can see her. There are other anomalies: Ella’s tuition is paid by a corporation and her family background is unknown. She also seems to know entirely too much about Cassie and the demon Azazeal stalking her. It is quickly revealed that Ella is definitely not what she seems. She is 445 years old and is also a witch and has been hunting Azazeal for centuries. So far, she has been very successful in preventing Azazeal from begetting a son by a mortal witch. This time, however, Ella was too late. Her mission: kill Azazeal’s offspring.

the main cast:
Jemima RooperThelma Bates
Jamie DavisLeon Tyler
Amber SainsburyRoxanne Davenport
Colin SalmonDavid Tyrel
Michael Fassbender Azazeal
Jemima Abey Alex
Laura PyperElla Dee
Christina ColeCassandra ‘Cassie’ Hughes

info compiled from wikipedia.org and the imdb

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Hex on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 17:10 ]
Recent Ratings
  • waterlilybarb Points +10 5/5 use/bonus excellence 3-27-2008 12:05

Dan starts to travel back in time and he discovers that he’s there to help people in trouble.

the story:
In its one, 13 episode season that ran from September to December 2007, we meet Dan Vasser, a newspaper reporter living with his wife Katie and young son Zack in San Francisco. One day, for an unknown reason, he begins jumping backward in time. He soon learns that each series of jumps follows the life of a person whose destiny he seems meant to change. Dan’s jumping affects his family life and his job and instills suspicion in his brother Jack, a police detective. While in the past, Dan reconnects with his ex-fiancée, Livia, whom he had believed dead but is actually a time traveler like himself.

Dan’s journeys appear to each have an innate purpose, which is not always apparent to him, but involves positively changing the destiny of a certain person. Likewise, fate seems to conspire against him if he tries to alter other events beyond his current charge. Alterations Dan makes to the timeline in the past affect the present and the memories of everyone in it. His own memories, however, are unaltered, and he recalls events as they originally occurred before his interference.

Dan’s ex-fiancée Livia, thought to have been killed in a plane crash, actually traveled back to her “home time”, currently living in 1948 from where she jumps forward in time. Dan meets Livia on his jumps into the past, as she jumps into her future to offer her experience and assistance with Dan’s missions. As revealed in the episode “Perfidia”, there is at least one other person who also jumps through time.

the main cast:
Kevin McKiddDan Vasser
Gretchen EgolfKatie Vasser
Moon BloodgoodLivia Beale
Reed Diamond Jack Vasser
Brian Howe Hugh Skillen

info compiled from wikipedia.org and the imdb

May you live in interesting times: So, if you could choose to travel in time, when and where would you go to? Post your thoughts here.

start watching!
if you're not a vip member yet and want to find out how to watch Journeyman on this site, please go here

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-24-2008 17:09 ]
Recent Ratings
  • gabsimom Points +10 5/3 great guide 3 bonus! 4-1-2008 06:57

kyle xy could have a season 2 episode guide that could then be linked to in its "about" thread. (let me see if i can put this all in one post...)

edit: nope, had to break it into two.

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-25-2008 14:54 ]

Kyle XY - Season Two Episode Guide

1. The Prophet
With Adam Baylin’s help, Kyle begins to realise the truth behind his existence but soon finds himself back at the Trager’s house under the training of Tom Foss.

2. The Homecoming
Kyle wonders if he made the right decision about returning to the Trager household, especially when he realizes how much he can’t tell them. Meanwhile, life outside of Zzyzx begins for XX.

3. The List is Life
Kyle’s attempts to return to a normal life at the Trager’s house is complicated by Tom Foss’ training. Meanwhile, Jessi (XX) begins her mission - to get close to Kyle.

4. Balancing Act
Foss is alarmed by a murder in the forest, which pushes Kyle to his breaking point. Declan’s probe of what he believes in Kyle’s secret could have major consequences.

5. Come to Your Senses
Coming back to work, Nicole has a startling new patient: Jessi. Jessi was recommended by her “sister”, Emily, because Jessi supposedly had a rough childhood. In truth, Jessi has been sent on a mission: get closer to Kyle. Meanwhile, Kyle’s mission is to find Amanda’s stolen bracelet.

6. Does Kyle Dream of Electric Fish
Kyle believes he can predict the future after having multiple visions, which all come true. Kyle delves deeper into Baylin’s research hoping to find an answer.

7. Free To Be You and Me
Kyle and Amanda are preparing for their first date. Meanwhile, Kyle receives a cryptic warning that makes him wonder who he can actually trust.

8. What’s the Frequency, Kyle?
Kyle’s visions offer the Tragers solace after Stephen’s father suffers a stroke and falls into a coma. Meanwhile, Jessi’s lack of progress at therapy dismays Emily.

9. Ghost in the Machine
Lori, Kyle, Jessi, Declan and Amanda stumble upon the ruins of Zzyzx while on a camping trip in the woods. Andy shares a life-changing secret with Josh.

10. House of Cards
Kyle, Declan and Foss plot to retrieve Kyle’s Latnok ring. Meanwhile, Lori begins to question Stephen’s time at Madacorp.

11. Hands on a Hybrid
After finding a photo of Baylin and somebody looking just like Jessi locked in Baylin’s box, Kyle and Declan realize that the best way to crack the mystery of Jessi is to get close to her is at the high school charity event. Once there, Kyle uses the opportunity to talk to the already vulnerable Jessi. Meanwhile, other secrets are revealed during the event as Lori finds out the identity of her attacker. Josh and Andy share a kiss.

12. Lockdown
With Jessi having escaped her house, Nicole puts the Trager family on lock down. The fate of Tom Foss is revealed while Nicole and Stephen both uncover secrets about Kyle. Kyle attempts to escape the house with the help of an old friend, hoping to find Jessi as well as protect his family.

13. Leap of Faith
Kyle and Jessi try to find out more about their past, while the Tragers sift through what they know about Kyle to find out who he really is. Kyle and Jessi explore an old, washed out road, previously known as Route 12. They stumble upon an abandoned cabin, and to get in a secret room, Kyle calls Amanda and asks her to play a melody. With it, Kyle and Jessi are able to enter the secret room. Inside, they find a comatose Adam Baylin. Kyle tries to communicate with him, but is unable to do so, and asks Jessi to help him. After some prodding, she helps him long enough for Baylin to say, “Stop Kyle, she’s betrayed you.” Scared, Jessi runs away. Kyle runs after her and they argue, but in the end, Jessi jumps off the side of a dam.

14. To C.I.R. with Love
Jessi survives the fall. Tom Foss finds Kyle stunned after Jessi took her leap, and tells Kyle to go home. Kyle returns to the Tragers to tell them the truth about his existence. He also hatches a plan to defeat Madacorp. Kyle’s plan is threatened by the fact that Jessi had survived the leap and is aching to give up the stolen information. Kyle and Jessi link telepathically and together block the C.I.R., which forces them to put Kyle on the machine, allowing him to destroy the Madacorp network. The episode concludes with Brian Taylor telling a hospitalized Jessi he is her father.

15. The Future’s So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
Kyle and Jessi’s secret is jeopardized as Jessi struggles with what the future holds for her. She decides to show the public her tricks by jumping off a roof and lurking across the pool. While Amanda’s mother witnesses Kyle mastering levitation. Problems escalate as Jessi offers to show live cameras her tricks.

16. Great Expectations
Amanda unexpectedly returns home, which causes Kyle to re-evaluate his relationship with her. But Amanda has a secret that is keeping Kyle on the edge of heartbreak. She can’t see him because she used her mom’s birthday surprise for an excuse to tell her mom she dropped out. Carol Bloom blames Kyle and grounds Amanda until she goes back to the music academy in New York.  

17. Grounded
After receiving an anonymous complaint about Kyle, a social worker makes a surprise visit to the Trager home. What should be uneventful becomes tricky with Kyle harboring Amanda in his room and Lori hiding a closet full of beer. Plus, they haven’t figured out how to explain a reason for Kyle sleeping in a tub. Despite everything, the Tragers have to convince the social worker that they are a happy, normal, family.

18. Between The Rack and a Hard Place
Amanda gets a job at The Rack, but her first day does not go well. Meanwhile, Jessi’s presence in Kyle’s life continues to irk Amanda, and Josh is placed in a difficult situation when $120 goes missing from The Rack’s cash register.

19. First Cut Is the Deepest
Kyle takes Jessi on a trip to University of Washington to learn more about Sarah, while she continues to try proving that she is better than Kyle. Meanwhile, Hillary, Lori, and Amanda attempt to book a cool d.j. for prom. Declan and Kyle get involved in a bloody fistfight when a college boy tries to punch Kyle. Kyle finds Jessi to be continuing to push herself. Amanda tells Kyle that she accepts the fact that she has to share her boyfriend with other people. Andy and Josh receive couple’s counseling from Nicole. Andy gets a hug from Kyle as she is worried about her cancer test.

[ Last edited by sddvasquez at 3-25-2008 15:46 ]

Thread