27 12
Thread
Printable Version

Doctor Who Season 4 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

decent episode but after Martha's brilliant intro last year i was hoping for a bit more. problem wasn't cathraine tate who I thought aquited herself very well it was that there wasn't a real bad guy unlike in Rose & Martha's first episodes and Donna's xmas special.

Donna will take time to get used to and unlike her predecessors she has quite alot of competition as we know both Rose and Martha (along with Captain Jack and Sarah Jane Smith!) are all returning at points this series. Also for new fans rose was there first companion and Martha was equally as good so she has alot to live up to. She only has two episodes before Martha returns so shes got a short time too impress.

I'm glad they're going for a new dynamic as being older, with a tottally different family, should be interesting especially as she seems less in awe of him as the others.
Recent Ratings
  • bala Points +2 good comment 6-9-2008 09:01

There wasn't much wrong with it. However the last two series, this one in particular have been so ambitious ,that it just felt a bit tame. the Ood and the Daughter episodes had many more flaws but when they were good, they were great. whereas this just felt like most of series two good fun but not something I will spend monday morning talking to my friends about.  
Anybody Agree?

Oh well I have high expectations for next week's two parter as it's written by easily the best doctor who writer, Steven Moffat. Who also wrote the excellent 'Blink', 'Girl in the Fireplace' and the series 1 two parter that introduced Capt Jack(the Empty child and the Doctor Dances).  by those standards it should be both brilliant and a wee bit scary.

Reply 63#63 bala's post

Yeah that's the way it looks, although Dr who is rarely that simple, and with Steven moffat the writer of this and the new head writer from next series onwards it could not all be reolved next episode. i mean it could be setting up for series five and more appearances from Song. although they will neeed to do it with tennant still at the helm.

Anybody else notice how they made her like the female version of Captain Jack. same sonic gun and the flirting with everybody. Well they are both from the 51st century.

Reply 67#67 bala's post

One Theory that is being banded about at work is that she is the doctor but that doesn't make sense if you think about what she has been saying. she isn't a timelord otherwise he would know.so that rules out the Romana/Jenny/etc theories. I  very curious to see where they take this.

Reply 65#65 bala's post

I'm pretty sure she is with dr moon and the girl in that dream world. here it is.

Also check out the mid series trailer. which is more proof she survives this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8 ... C304A73&index=2

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-2-2008 16:45 ]

Reply 75#75 bala's post

Yes it was awesome. 'fires of pompeii' as an exception, until this 2 parter doctor who hadn'treally had any great episodes this season,so it was very welcome.

Yes next episode looks fairly average but then we will have the 3-part finale (the returns of Davros & Rose!!!!) so understandable there's a bit of filler between then and now.

Reply 80#80 bala's post

no series four will conclude after the 3 part finale and we will have to wait til 2010 for series 5! There will be four specials in 2009 (and a 2008 christmas special) but given this sites track record over the xmas specials it will leave a long wait for many members.

Me and you can watch it on TV or Iplayer but for the non-uk residents this could be a real issue.

Reply 86#86 bala's post

Extremly creepy. Reminded me of 'Blink' in that before it aired the trailers made it look very average and then it creeped the hell out of me! Very good and very dark!

What makes you say that about Rose? Bala have you been reading Internet Spoilers!

Reply 85#85 kwargalla's post

Well his name is the great question isn't it I mean Doctor Who? Steven Moffat has said that for it to be so secret there must be a reason. I mean even those oracles in Pompeii couldn't tell what it was.

Well Wife seems the obvious answer but it could be more complicated. mother maybe? he did once say he was half human (Although this is massivly debated by the DW community as whether this is canon or not).

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-15-2008 11:31 ]

As bala said before next week is a Doctor-lite episode. In fact it has been billed as a companion special. which would imply it might not just have Donna & Rose in it, But Martha, Captain Jack & Sarah Jane (all scheduled to be in the finale at some point).

I can't wait!

RTD (head writer) has hinted that as many as two companion could die in the finale. Considering Jack's Immortality and Sarah jane has her own series they can be ruled out.  Even if one of the companions is Jack (which would be a massive cop out) that still leaves one out of Rose, Donna & Martha. I'm going to rule out Martha due to the strong likelyhood of her being a permenant torchwood member next year.   
So Rose, Donna or Both!?!?!?!?!?!

Who's your money on?

P.S. RTD is notorious for lieing to fans to get them all worked up theroising (quite right to!) so this could and must likely IS a red herring.

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-15-2008 11:33 ]

Reply 90#90 bala's post

Ah Okay. I'm assuming they just are refering to her being a warrior with a gun as opposed to anything more dramatic tbh. but we will wait and see.

Reply 92#92 bala's post

Don't post tempting links to spoilers! I've already heard so many rumours about the next three episodes that at the moment I'm not sure what will happen as they can't all be true. However reading it there's nothing i hadn't heard before. I mean the mid-series trailer as good as showed Davros (on the HD version you can even see his controls).anybody who knows anything about old Dr who could tell who it was,or at least work out after the daleks, cybermen & the master he was next. and if you don't know anything about Old who then none of this will make sense until saturday.

Intriqing Rumour. could be a minor spoiler.

the title is called Turn Left as the episode will show two fates. One where Donna turns Left(at what I don't know) and one where she turns right. very sliding doors.

I heard this at work so its from a very unreliable source but it is such an intriquing idea I wanted to get your opinions.

Reply 94#94 bala's post

well he's being played by the guy who played the ringmaster in that creepy 'Torchwood' circus episode.

Won't say more as will ruin the suprise.

EDIT: and since you don't know who he is canb you guess wherehe is in the mid-series trail?

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-17-2008 17:33 ]

Reply 98#98 bala's post

Well he has 13 regeneration cycles meaning he can regenerate 12 twelve times . the current doctor is the tenth having regened 9 times.but he clearly isn't 100% invincible . The Daleks would only go to war against the time lords if they could kill them. so thaere my guess. besides we only saw his hand it could be a ruse.

Radio times review says Tate's performance is sensational so I'm looking forward to it.

Seems I was haldf right about the two different versions.

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!

Excellent episode with a fantastic performance fromTate as Torres just said.

What was with Bad Wolf? and did you see the trailer? literailly everybody and I mean everybody is in the next two episodes. OMG!OMG! can't wait for next week!

I'll post a proper review when I've rewatched it on the iplayer later and have calmed down.

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-21-2008 18:37 ]

Reply 106#106 bala's post

Yes it will that was the best next time trailer ever.also DT sold that cliffhanger so well.

Did you see the Red Dalek?

Here's the TV trail by the way, with Davros!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR9EZhYzxr4

Reply 116#116 bala's post

actually he just has signed on for the specials not series five. So since yesterday a rumour has exploded that they will be flashback epis.

[ Last edited by gaiusx at 6-29-2008 12:18 ]

27 12
Thread