Thread
Printable Version

Lost Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 53#53 gypsiegirl66's post

Yes, we did see Ben's birth - and his mother (named Emily) died in childbirth...which is why his father really didn't care for his son.  

Also, it's 1977 when the baby is born on the Island and Ben is MUCH older than that.  I've read the theory that the baby is Miles - but Amy and Horace are NOT Asian, so that wouldn't make sense at all.  What about Keamy?  He was the freighter guy who killed Alex - and many others.  If the freighter people also had a connection to the Island, he seems about the right age.  I guess we'll have a better idea once we find out the name of the baby - IF we do.

I love the screenshot and the image of Taweret - interesting, especially since she was the ancient Egyptian goddess of maternity and childbirth, protector of women and children.  If it is her, I wonder if the problems with women giving birth on the Island has anything to do with the destruction of the statue?
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 54#54 waterlilybarb's post

Hmmm, good point, Kearmy didn't even come to mind, in my thinking. He is the right age, you're right.
That's what made me think it might be this statue, all birth problems and the statue being destroyed. We'll just have to wait and see, oh how I love this show!!!

the statue only has 4 toes. if that helps us determine who it is. I think ya'll are right about who it is though. Who is the baby?

Reply 51#51 gypsiegirl66's post

Wow, that absolutely looks like it could be her! From the pictures I looked at of Taweret on Wikipedia, she may also have had 4 toes. And if it got destroyed, that could definitely explain a thing or two about the birthing problems on the island.

I also found something else of interest today, totally by chance at work (I do technical translations for a living): There's something called a "Faradaic current" (named after scientist and mathematician Michael Faraday), which in basic terms is " of or relating to an asymmetric alternating current of electricity produced by an induction coil." Just thought that was interesting...especially the "asymmetric alternating current"...hmm...!
Recent Ratings

Reply 57#57 studiojek's post

I had read somewhere, that they had based Daniel Faraday's character on Michael Faraday.

Another intersting fact is, that Michael Faraday's birthday was September 22, the same day Oceanic Flt. 815 crashed on the island.

He is also known for, what is called The Faraday Effect. Which is.....

Faraday's discovery (1845) that an intense magnetic field can rotate the plane of polarized light is known today as the Faraday effect. The phenomenon has been used to elucidate molecular structure and has yielded information about galactic magnetic fields.

Pretty interesting stuff, eh?

Reply 58#58 gypsiegirl66's post

Wow, that just made my head spin LOL! However, all very interesting connections...food for thought!

Just a note on Ben's mother - like Barb said, her name was Emily, the same name as Locke's mother...things that make you go "hmmm??"!!

Reply 59#59 studiojek's post

That does make you go hmmmm! But, wasn't Locke's mother alive, long after Ben would have been born? She is the one that told him, he was immaculately conceived. Which initiated Locke, to search for his evil father (just as he had planned). Although, there must be some connection, with the two. Why use Emily as names, for both their mothers? With Lost, there seems to be no coincidences.

Okay, now I understand the true meaning of the title "Lost", because I am totally LOST!!     

Reply 60#60 gypsiegirl66's post

LOL!! Indeed! Well, we do know that time has a different way of working on the island, so I'm not sure we really can say if it was two different women or not....but, no, I doubt they would call them both Emily by pure chance!

Reply 61#61 studiojek's post

Just had to voice my excitement that there's a new episode tonight.  YAY!   I know - I'm a nerd, but I enjoy my nerdiness. lol

Wow!!! What a great episode!! So, the Losties, are in two different time zones (to put it mildly). It looks like they have a way back in time, and Christian is leading the way. I just love Christian, I hope we get to see, more of him in future episodes. I wonder where Locke is? Didn't he land in the present time? I wonder what the significance is, that the Losties were separated?  Oh and how is this Kate, Sawyer, Jack, Juliette thing is going to work out?
I loved how Sun, whacked Ben on the ole noggin!! If anyone deserved that, Ben did.  

Well, I just finished watching, I have lot's more to say. I'll be back to write more, after I ponder for a while.

[ Last edited by gypsiegirl66 at 3-18-2009 22:20 ]

Reply 63#63 gypsiegirl66's post

Namaste - thoughts:

Locke is still on Hydra Island (I'm assuming this because Locke saw Ben after they arrived) - where Sun & Lapidus were before paddling over to the Island.   I imagine that means Locke is in the "future" timeline too.  I loved when Sun whacked Ben too.

How about when young Ben brought Sayid the food?  I was thinking - I wonder if Sayid would like to kill him now - before he causes all the trouble?

I LOVED that Sawyer made Jack a workman.   And the jobs are assigned according to aptitude - too funny.  I also like the exchange between them in Sawyer & Juliet's cabin...showing the different styles of leadership they have.  It's interesting that Sawyer is more of the thinker, though not surprising, seeing as he was a con man, and in order to be a successful one (especially when running a long con) they have to consider every angle and all the details.

So much more to talk about, but that's all I have for now.

Reply 64#64 waterlilybarb's post

p.s. The baby's name is Ethan!  He was on my short-list of possibilities, but I was glad we got the answer.  Interesting sidenote that I read: Ethan is the one who recruited Juliet, who wound up making his birth possible.  Coincidence?  I doubt it.

Saw this link on The Lost Diary: ?????  What's your take?

Well, it sure was lucky that Kate and Sawyer were helping to build that runway that one time.   I wonder how they knew to do that as I guess aircraft don't travel over the island all the much.  It's almost like saying "Prepare the way for the Lord. . ."

I see even more religious overtones.  Some of the characters seemed to be "raptured" onto the island coinciding with the "second coming" of John Locke.   And, Jack (who is often touted as a doubting Thomas) tells Sawyer that Locke is dead (but, of course, he doesn't know any better as he didn't know or believe that his dad has "resurrected").   And, wasn't Locke only dead for three days before they put him on the plane?

I wonder if the funeral home embalmed Locke?

Sayid is going to make things interesting.  I saw in the previews that he's going to try to tell the Dharma people about what might happen.  But, of course, they don't believe them.

So, Ethan was born on the island and Juliet was the one who made it happen.  I didn't think of the fact that he was the one who helped recruit her earlier.  It kind of reminds me of the whispers on the island who have been heard to say "it'll all come back around".

Isn't Ben's arrival in this episode a little early?  I am going to check on Lostpedia for the time that he arrives.  I thought he arrived in the 80s.

[ Last edited by desertdarlene at 3-19-2009 12:36 ]
Recent Ratings
Too legit to quit!

Reply 66#66 desertdarlene's post

I just checked Lostpedia myself.  It doesn't give an exact date of his arrival, but says he was born in the early '60's which would put him arriving on the Island in the mid-seventies - so I think that's OK.  They used the same kid to portray him as the youger Ben, so I'm guessing he's been on the Island for a couple years by now - just going by the look of the kid.

Reply 67#67 waterlilybarb's post

Yeah, it's totally possible that this is the right time for him to be there. I don't know how long he has been there, though, but the guard seemed familiar with him.

I was thinking that Sun wasn't allowed to be with the others because she came to the island not to be of help either to the people there or the island itself, but for some other reason.  She came along way too willingly considering that she has a little baby waiting for her back at home.

I think that's also the reason why the others didn't end up back in the 70s, too, they didn't have the island's best interest in their heart.  But, that wouldn't explain why Locke isn't with them.

Christian mentioned that Sun "had a long way to go" in her journey to find her husband.  That might mean that there is a way for her to get back there with them.  

Kinda reminds me of Pilgrim's Progress a little.

[ Last edited by desertdarlene at 3-19-2009 16:45 ]
Too legit to quit!

I was just on another site talking about this episode and someone noted that the Losties must have changed something.  One thing that I noticed that was different was that the Dharma signs and other Dharma photos, etc., were still hanging (barely) in the rec room.  I will have to go back and look, but I seem to remember when they were holding Kate there, all the signs and photos from the Dharma initiative were missing.  I will go back and check those episodes again.
Too legit to quit!

Reply 69#69 desertdarlene's post

I have a feeling they changed something too.  I don't know what, but when Hugo asked about telling the Dharma folks about the purge, it got me thinking.

Interesting thoughts on Sun.  I hadn't thought of that as to why she wouldn't have been in the past too, but there has to be some reason (there don't seem to be any non-reasons for things on Lost) - and she's the one who seems to have changed the most during the 3 years.

I've never gotten around to reading the Pilgrim's Progress.  I know a little about it, but what part of the story reminds you of it?

I think what reminds me of Pilgrims Progress is that the man in the book has to take a very difficult journey and face a lot of challenges to get to the promised kingdom.  I just feel like that's what Sun's going to have to do, sorta to prove her worthiness to the island and its cause.  I can't put my finger on exactly why it's like Pilgrim's Progress, which is a great book, by the way.   Something was triggered in my mind about that book when Christian told Sun that she had quite a journey ahead of her.

Good job on the deciphering the statue.  I think that's exactly what it was which makes me wonder about it even more.  I mean, a fertility goddess on an island where the women die by the third trimester?  Well, Amy didn't seem to have any problems carrying her baby to term.  

I think everything bad on that island is Ben's fault.

[ Last edited by desertdarlene at 3-20-2009 18:27 ]
Too legit to quit!

Reply 71#71 desertdarlene's post

Interesting.  I'll get around to reading the Pilgrim's Progress one of these days, but it won't be soon - I'm packing up again getting ready to relocate...again.   It's one I've always wanted to read though, and from what you say I can see the parallel.

My library had it on an audio book that I downloaded into my MP3 player.  I listened to it while I was working out.  I really found it enjoyable, which was a surprise as I thought it would be preachy and difficult to understand because of the language at the time it was written.
Too legit to quit!

Thread