Thread
Printable Version

Lost Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Episode 6

Boooooring. I know, I know, they can't all be like The Constant, sometimes they need episodes like this to give us little pieces of useful information, but I can't think of many things we learned that we didn't already know. We did find out for sure of the link with Whidmore, and we learned according to Harper that Juliet looks "just like her," whatever that means. We know that we THINK Dan and Charlotte aren't all that bad, but that they are against Ben.

Anyway, I was disappointed, it felt like a filler episode which isn't much fun after all our months of waiting from the strike!

So, they had a flashback and flash-forward in this episode, eh?  That was a nice trick, but I don't think it was a good idea.  Did anyone see the date on the headstone at the end?  I though I saw a 2004 and a 9, but I couldn't see the rest, I might go back and look.  Since, a couple of episodes back, Desmond saw the date as December 24,2004, that would mean his death happened in the next few days of the story.  Or, perhaps the 9 is for September.  Wouldn't that be the month they originally crashed?  

Perhaps I got the numbers wrong, I hope someone will enlighten me.
Too legit to quit!

Reply 62#62 desertdarlene's post

Episode 4x7 - Ji Yeon

I thought it was a great idea.  It had me guessing through the whole episode, as I was trying to figure out when Jin was.  His hair-do was a slight giveaway since it looked a little passé, as was his cell phone...but I was SO wanting him to be there.   As for the date on the headstone, I'll have to recheck it.  I wonder if he's really dead or still on the island and Sun has to play along or doesn't know.

I was SO happy when Sun slapped Juliet across the face for telling Jin about her affair.  She definitely had it coming.  I was also glad to see Bernard again.  I do like him.  AND, I was delighted when Jin went back to Sun after fishing and told her he understood why she did what she did.  Great storyline.

From this episode, it seems like Aaron is one of the Oceanic 6...since we were told ahead of time that this episode would tell us who the remaining member/s was.  So the 6 are: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron, and Sun.  Interesting mix.  We also finally had it confirmed that Michael IS Ben's man on the boat...no surprise, but his name is now Kevin Johnson?  I wonder where Walt is?  Maybe next week's episode will fill in some gaps on that front, since it's entitled "Meet Kevin Johnson".

p.s.  I'll get back to you when I have a chance to recheck the numbers on the headstone.  You've got me curious now.  They could easily have been the date of the crash, since all the returnees are living this big lie, and supposedly only 8 people survived the crash (according to Jack's story on the witness stand).  It would make sense that his tombstone would have his date of death in September of 2004.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 63#63 waterlilybarb's post

I think this Ji Yeon episode was a homage to the Asian horror films! It kept us in suspense all throughout and then the shocking, unexpected twist at the end... I also like how they incorporated time within the subplots: Sun - flash forward & Jin - flashback.

Reply 64#64 SirAlain's post

I really liked that too...the incorporation of time into the subplots.  I was talking about it with my Mum today, and she finds it so confusing...not knowing when people are.  She couldn't figure out why they told Jin it was a boy, when Sun had had a girl.   It clicked when I explained it to her, but all these time differences are throwing her for a loop.

I watched it again and was able to see the dates, close-up, on the head stone.  There were two rows on the right side.  One said "11-27-1974" which is probably his birth date.  The other said  "9-22-2004" which, I think, is the day the plane crashed.  Otherwise, I don't know why they'd pick that date.  I assume it's Jin that's supposed to be in that grave, too by the way she is talking.  

I think you're right about it being part of the big lie they are living.  It's entirely possible that Jin stayed on the island or is doing something else that's secretive.  

And, who are we supposed to trust, the Captain, or Michael?  Michael is working with Ben, who I still think is a very bad person and the Captain's story is very logical and convincing.  Now, I'm really wondering about Ben and how he staged the plane crash and why.  And, how did these new people know about him and about the temple?
Too legit to quit!

Well this episode was much better than last week's, but I still feel like they're creating more questions than they're answering and it's getting frustrating!!

I did like the flashforward/back confusion, though of course I was sad to discover that Jin wasn't going to be there for his daughter. I believe personally that the rest of the people were left behind on the island (the non-Oceanic 6) and that the 6 who got off were chosen to perform some sort of task together, though of course besides Sayid we don't quite understand what that is. It will be interesting to find out!

Well, the March 20th episode aired and I think a shootout is about to happen.  It's funny that each side blames the other for the fake plane crash.  I still think Ben is evil and don't believe his story, but could I be wrong?
Too legit to quit!

Reply 68#68 desertdarlene's post

Episode 4x8 - Meet Kevin Johnson

Ben's story might not be a lie, but I still think he's evil.  Just hearing him tell Michael that he could be "one of the good guys" too, made me gag.  But he's one of those deliciously evil baddies, that I love to hate.

This episode kind of left me hanging.  The timeline of the events was rather wonky, and who cares if Tom is gay?  I wanted to know how Michael & Walt got rescued.  Instead, we got the story of how he was recruited by Ben.  Considering the crash only happened a little over 3 months ago (island time), what would convince him to return so soon?  I could understand it better if it had been months, like in last season's finale when Jack was losing his mind, but SO SOON?  Come on.

Why Danielle would listen to a word out of Ben's mouth is beyond me.  I know she loves her daughter and believes that, in his warped way, Ben loves Alex too, but why listen to the man that kidnapped your child?  I hope she's not dead.  I think Karl is though, which was most likely part of Ben's plan.

We did get the answer to where the bodies came from, and why they weren't recovered.  We also found out that the island won't let certain people die.  I think Tom jammed Michael's gun, but stranger things have been known to happen.  Other than that, we didn't learn much...oh, except there's ANOTHER Dharma location on the island, called The Temple.  Just how big is this island anyway?  

Well, 5 more weeks before we get any more answers...I mean questions...  It's beginning to do my head in.

Ok, I know this is about a few episodes back, but it's still a lingering question.
I see that some of you are still wondering why Jack doesn't want to see Claire's baby Aaron. Well, I have a theory, it may be the reason and it may not.

Do you all remember why Jack's Dad went down under to begin with? Well if you don't let me refresh you memory, it was to find his long lost daughter, and that long lost daughter, just happened to be Claire. Anyone catching on yet? I thought so....

Yes, I beleive that Jack won't see the baby because Claire was his sister and he couldn't save her, and he is consumed with guilt, or because his father had Claire out of wedlock, while married to his mom. The latter would make sense given Kate's reaction outside the courthouse.

Maybe not these exact reasons, but I think it has something to do with her being his sister. He may not know now, but I believe he finds out either before he leaves the island or shortly after he gets off.

I also, do not think they are all dead, I think that most if all are alive. I think they are lying to protect the others from being found. I do think that Claire dies, I don't think Aaron would be with Kate otherwise.

Also, something bugging me, didn't Des say that if Charlie flipped the switch which led to his death, that he saw BOTH Claire and Aaron on the rescue helicopter? Does that mean that Claire gets on the chopper and is then somehow killed? This is just another one of those things that is bugging me.
Too much confusion, head about to explode->

Any opinions   

[ Last edited by gypsiegirl66 at 3-23-2008 00:58 ]

Reply 70#70 gypsiegirl66's post

I agree that it has something to do with Claire being his sister. As for Desmond's vision of the helicopter, my guess is that Claire will be killed getting into the helicopter, and Kate will grab Aaron and get him to safety.

So, my thoughts about this episode (Meet Kevin Johnson):

Sayid 'outed' Michael to use him as leverage to get some info from the Captain. Or else, Sayid just knows how Ben plays people and thinks that this is another one of those situations. We do know that Sayid eventually ends up working for Ben, too, though...

I think the idea that Whidmore simply wants the island to turn it into a tourist trap is a lie - not when there are so many crazy scientific things related to that island. I have a feeling he needs the island to get back in time for something....or something equally metaphysical!

I think that Ben purposely sent Carl to get murdered but didn't account for Rousseau (though I don't think he'll lose sleep over it). I am not convinced that they're actually dead though...I would be love a Rousseau flashback however...I've always wondered if there is some relation between Rousseau and Ben that we don't know about yet.

Never liked Michael, never ever. This episode (though I'll admit the actor playing him did a great job) brought that old familiar annoyance with him back!

I give this episode a B in my own book! Good back story and some of our questions answered, but not enough action - and NOT ENOUGH SAWYER - that's 4 weeks in a row now!!!

I agree, not the best episode.  I don't think Rouseau is really dead, either, but it faking it.   I noticed that they didn't show her bleeding like they did Carl.   And, I think Ben knows something when he said  to Alex that "you mother will see to [her protection]".  Either he can "see" into the future like Desmond could, or he knows who the shooters are and who they would want to kill.  I'd bet that the people who did the shooting are Ben's "people".
Too legit to quit!

Reply 72#72 desertdarlene's post

That's what I think too.  I think he wanted Karl dead, because he didn't like that he helped Kate & Sawyer, or that he & Alex were a couple.  How dare someone come between him and "daddy's little girl". BLECH!  Also, Alex was more defiant of Ben with Karl at her side.  The "Others" have been known to kill their own before, when they see fit...or rather when Ben sees fit.

REMINDER!

LOST starts up again this week!  Don't forget to tune in and then come back and share your thoughts.

Reply 74#74 waterlilybarb's post

I'm so excited for the new Lost!!!!!

I was thinking maybe we should continue our discussion in separate episode threads, so that nobody who wants to partake risks any spoilers?

Lost Season 4 Episode 9 discussion

I thought I'd start a separate thread for this episode discussion so we can chat without anyone having to worry about spoilers! So, if you haven't seen this episode yet, close up this thread!

My random thoughts on Episode 9:

Great things about this episode:

This is the first time we saw Ben lose! And I felt badly for him, up until the very moment he tricked Sayid into playing his war and walked away smiling. Darn, even I fell for that one, I really thought Ben was being sincere. Stupid on my part!

I loved that Sawyer is now a big-hearted mama bear looking after all his little cubbies!

I love that Ben, Hurley and Locke are going after Jacob together!

I love that Bernard knows morse code! Now, what the heck, the doctor's dead in this time and space but not on the boat's time and space?

The opening scene with Locke, Sawyer and Hurley with Aaron on his knee! Sawyer: "Don't worry Chicken Little, the sky's not falling just yet."

Annoying thing about this episode:

That Miles was in it. I just can not stand him. And I'm convinced that all this talk of "3.2 million dollars" is a code for something else.

Things this episode answered for us:

Ben controls the buzzing black thingee.

Why/how Ben got Sayid to work for him.

A small (very small!) glimpse into the Ben/Whidmore connection.

More questions this episode added to the lot:

What the heck is up with Jack looking like death's come for a long visit?

Is Rousseau really dead without us getting any history on her?

Ok, now your turn!...

I know that in the previews for next week, it seems that Jack's appendix has busted, so I'd bet that will be significant in getting him off the island.

I'm surprised that Sayid fell so easily for Ben's lie about who killed his wife.  I didn't see any writing on that photograph that Ben showed him that proves his story.  But, Sayid must have been feeling a lot of anger at that time.  I would guess that Ben managed to keep him working for him with other lies.

I thought the interaction between Ben and Widmore was interesting.  Widmore pretty much said he found the island first.  I am also convinced that Widmore is probably unusually old and may have been involved with the sailing of the Black Rock in the late 1800s and the reason why it is on the island in the first place.  Who knows, it's possible that the island keeps people from aging.  

OK, those are my crazy thoughts.  
Too legit to quit!

Reply 2#2 desertdarlene's post

On Widmore - I don't know if I think he's really old, but his interest in the island is unusually great.  I wonder if he had an ancestor on The Black Rock and is a descendant of one of the original islanders and a shipwreck survivor.  He says the island is his, yet, he doesn't know how to find it.  Curious.

On Sayid & Ben - I too am surprised that Sayid fell so easily for Ben's line.  Whether or not it was actually a lie, I'm not exactly sure what I think there, but he played Sayid like a Stradivarius.  It's quite possible Ben put the hit on Nadia (having someone else kill her) just to recruit Sayid into his "war".

On Rousseau - I really hope she's not dead!  It would suck to have her die before we even know about her, but being dead wouldn't necessarily mean we won't get her backstory.  Maybe Ben could tell some of it.

studiojek - love your thoughts on the episode!  

You forgot to mention Sawyer, Locke & Hurley playing Risk.  What did you think about the comment, "Australia is the key to the whole game”?  I don't play Risk, but have friends who do, and I KNOW Australia is not key to winning the game.  Is it another red herring or a clue to finding out what's really going on here?

This is getting good!  Ben controls Smokey, and WOW was Smokey ever mad!   I knew the fence kept it out of the compound, but to see the force it went after the baddies with was awesome.  After seeing that, you'd REALLY not want to get on Ben's bad side.

What about Ben waking up in the Sahara wearing a Dharma parka?  

So many curious things happen...I just want some more answers.

Both of your comments are interesting.

I read on thelostdiary.com (very informative website if you're a nerdy Lostie like me!) someone's theory that maybe Widmore is Ben's constant (hence why he can't kill him). Hmm that'd be interesting...I'm also starting to wonder if they are somehow related...? Sort of Cain and Abel sort of competition?

Also, I think there's probably some relationship between the polar bear they found in the desert and Ben ending up in the middle of the desert...?

As always, more ?s than answers!

I love the idea of the constant! Makes total sense.

The time travel thing is driving me crazy. But I am glad they also havent forgotten about the polar bear in the desert because this is one of the questions that most haunt me. It was a great move to put Ben in the Sahara!

And what about that thing he carried around with him all the time? The retracting stick! He is Bruce Lee!

Bens conversation with Sayid: I really didnt convince me. How could Sayid take that so easily? He was a war soldier, c´mon! Not a naive man, but Ben has an amazing charm apparently.

Also I think its pretty twisted that somehow now Ben is the good guy and Widmore the bad one.

Last but not least: I think Jack will have to leave the island pretty soon because of the illness. He looks really sick! "in-urgent-need-of-the-best-hospital" kind of sick.

Thread