Thread
Printable Version

Lost Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 5#5 alexgirl's post

Well I have to be honest and say that even I fell for Ben's story to Sayid for a second. And Sayid, being torn apart by losing his true love, could absolutely have fallen for it. Do you remember how he was after Shannon died, he was back to his old kill-all ways...and I think Ben played on that, as Ben best does!

Haha at the Bruce Lee retracting stick!!!!

Reply 5#5 alexgirl's post

I am also glad not to be the only one who thought of the polar bear remains (with Dharma tags) in the desert!  I read one theory that Ben actually teleports off the island, and the Sahara is one of the places that can be teleported to.  Farfetched?  Maybe, but it would explain why he was wearing a parka in the middle of the Sahara.  Did anyone else notice the Dharma logo on Ben's coat?  It's not one we've seen before, so obviously there are other stations we have yet to see.

I DID notice the stick he carried with him.  I love your explanation!   For such a weenie looking guy, he can kick some serious butt when he needs to.

STUDIOJEK -

I hadn't read the theory about Widmore being Ben's constant, but it's definitely a plausible one.  Whether or not they're related, I don't know, but there's more to Widmore's connection to the island than we have been led to believe.  My theory is in post #3.  His preoccupation with The Black Rock is one of my reasons.  He may be related to the Hansos - Alvar started the Dharma initiative, Tovard was the previous owner of The Black Rock Ledger, while Magnus Hanso was most likely the commander of The Black Rock...and was supposedly buried on the island.  

I'm a nerdy Lostie too, I just try not to get too much into the conspiracy theories, or my head would explode.    It's a good thing there's so much info out there though, because lately I've had a hard time remembering when things took place, and who knew what and when.  It's all a big puzzle, that I doubt anyone will solve until the last episode airs.  ARG!
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

If the world were a sandwich

Since we have all pretty much self declared ourselves as Lost geeks (in a wonderfull positive way, of course!!), did you guys here this theory?

There is a website (http://www.zefrank.com/sandwich/tool.html) where the guy came up with this idea do squash-flat the earth as if it was a sandwich. Now the crazy part!!! If you pushed a toothpick through Tunisia, the pointy end would come out in the South Pacific, just east of Australia. For real! And this sooo sounds like something that would make sense on Lost, or? It would explain so much!!

I love this show!!!

Reply 8#8 alexgirl's post

Interesting.  I had not heard that theory before.

Do you think Ben has an Earth squasher somewhere on the island, or has he dug a very long tunnel?

Reply 9#9 waterlilybarb's post

I think he dug the tunnel! lol I think in fact he is invincible like Michael and dug a tunnel behind the cupboard where he keeps the smokey monster (also his house pet, of course)!

Still doesnt explain the polar bears completely.. how did they get to Tunisia or island in the pacific I dont know. Maybe there is subterrenial tunnel system that connects the whole earth and they just got lost and entered the wrong one! ha!

That also explains Jacob! Oh no.. it actually still doesnt... But we will get there, we still have 3 more seasons! hihihi

Reply 10#10 alexgirl's post

Remember that Walt has a strange ability that was only touched on a little...But could very well explain the polar bear, and that it got teleported to the desert by Ben in an effort to get rid of it.

Remember that Walt was looking at a book of a extremely rare bird, and was being ignored by his mother and her b/f. Then that very bird flew into the window, as if it was drawn to Walt, since he was concentrating on it so hard.

Well Walt was also being ignored by his father early on, and had a comic book that he found during the crash. A comic book that had a Polar Bear in it. Perhaps Walt was able to bring that Polar bear to the island, and then it was sent away by Ben when it was discovered. This could also explain how Ben was able to get Locke's father on the Island. He may have had Walt use his ability to summon him, from a picture.

Well those are my thoughts....
A Fine Member of the Mod  Squad!

Reply 11#11 dognxtdoor's post

wow! you have super memory! i didnt remember that.. and I started watching Lost last year (so it should be pretty fresh) I have to digest the info you gave, because I really didnt remember that! wow!! cool!!!

You know, I did see the Dharma emblem on Ben's coat, but I didn't think anything of it since everything on the island seems to have it.   I just thought he could have just taken it from somewhere.   I also didn't notice it was a heavy coat.  But, now that I think about it, it's kinda strange.   

Also, does anyone remember when food would show up around the island way back when?  That also had the Dharma label on it.  Ben was not a fan of Dharma, so I know he didn't provide it unless he also found that and I think it would be pretty old.  

Perhaps Widmore is related to the Hanso foundation like was said before.
Too legit to quit!

Quote:
Originally posted by dognxtdoor at 4-29-2008 01:15 PM  
Remember that Walt has a strange ability that was only touched on a little...But could very well explain the polar bear, and that it got teleported to the desert by Ben in an effort to get rid of it.
That's an excellent theory as well.    I mean, the whole quote, not just that little part. I don't know why the whole quote wasn't quoted.  I think it's interesting the theory about Walt being able to "conjure" up things from images.

[ Last edited by desertdarlene at 4-29-2008 18:09 ]
Too legit to quit!

Reply 11#11 dognxtdoor's post

I do remember Walt's "ability", and it's something my Mum & I discuss frequently when we're trying to figure out if the island itself actually chooses certain people to bestow what seem to be miracles upon - like Rose & Locke...but not Ben, since he developed the tumour after being an island resident.

I hope that somehow Walt is brought into the story again, and more than just the little glimpse we had in "Meet Kevin Johnson".  His ability was never really explored fully enough to be satisfying for the audience, so even if it was just explained, it would be good.

Nice remembering Dan.   I love when people tie the seasons together, or try to...it's getting harder all the time, it seems.

**SPOILER ALERT** Episode 4x10 - Something Nice Back Home

OMGoodness!  My head is going to explode with all the questions racing around inside of it.

Tonight's episode was a good one, but once again left me with more questions than answers.  I'll reserve actual comment until the episode is uploaded, so as not to ruin in for anyone.

Anyone wanting to discuss this week's episode, please do so here.  I'll merge it with the season 4 discussion thread next week.

I've got a lot to say!!! OHMYGOSH is right! While this wasn't the BEST Lost episode of all time, it was pretty informative, though of course created a lot more questions too!  Here's my commentary!:

So, as far as information we've discovered, we get a glimpse of how Kate gets Aaron and we see how Jack starts to take pills. We also found out that Jack apparently knows that Aaron is family - his "YOU'RE not even family to Kate" seemed to make that pretty clear. How he finds that out is yet to be seen, but maybe his father's 'ghost' tells him? We also seem to have found out how Sun/baby get off the island but not Jin. We also found out (and I am over the moon for this one!!!) that SAWYER'S ALIVE AND ON THE ISLAND!!! WOOHOOO!! =)

New questions that came up from this episode:

Where the heck is Claire? Is that it, we're never to see her again?

What is this favor that Kate has to do for Sawyer? I'm thinking it's probably going to check up on his daughter, Clementine.

Who the heck buried Rousseau (and is that really her?) and Karl? Seems a little unlikely that the bad guys would've taken the time, don't you think? Maybe the Others? Where are all the remaining Others, by the by?

Interesting things/questions I picked up on other Lost discussion forums:

Someone pointed out that it was interesting that Jack saw his father because he went to switch off the smoke detector. Could his father be or be linked to Smokey?? Hmm.

There was a good few minutes where Juliet was alone with Jack, sewing him back up, maybe before he woke up. We don't TRULY know if she's good or bad yet...any chance she did something to him?

Oh, and I have to just give an award for excellence in this episode to...drumroll please....Rose! Rose rocked, as did Bernard! She is soooo right - the island is hurting Jack because he's so close to leaving it, right?

Finally, a great quote from thelostdiary.com episode commentary: "Is anyone NOT crazy this week?"

[ Last edited by studiojek at 5-3-2008 07:48 ]

Reply 2#2 studiojek's post

First, I must agree with thelostdiary commentary...I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the show.

I have the same suspicions about Kate's favour for Sawyer.  We already know she met Clementine's mother in her pre-island life, so looking her up to check on the little girl (and keeping Sawyer's secret) are VERY plausible.

I love how we finally have somewhat of a timeline for where last season's finale flash-forwarded to.  It's obviously after this, as you said, we see the beginning of Jack's downward spiral.  In THAT timeline, Jack talks about Christian in the present tense, so somehow he's going to be around.  I read the theory about Christian having a connection to Smokey too.  I'm not sure what I think of that.

I totally agree that Jack has found out that Aaron is his nephew - for the exact same reason as you.  The tone in his voice definitely seemed to imply more than he said.  As for Claire, I think she's still on the island somewhere, though why Christian led her off into the jungle in the middle of the night is curious.  

Rose & Bernard are THE BEST!  I totally love them, and am always happy when they are in an episode.  Rose voiced my sentiments when saying that the island was where people got healed, so there had to be some reason Jack suddenly became ill.  It can't just be coincidence.

I thought of Juliet being on her own with Jack, but Bernard was with her for most of the time, except when she sent him to get Kate.  I'm still not sure if I think she did something to Jack, though it was something I initially thought of, and told my Mum.  She thinks I've gone mad, since the questions are driving her batty, and my endless theorizing just makes her head spin.   

I have a theory.  Hurley sees Charlie.  Jack & Claire have both seen Christian, and Jack has seen him off the island.  I think it has something to do with time travel and only those who have been on the island can see them.  I think they died (Charlie & Christian) but maybe they are in some timeloop where they are still in the past (before they died) but can see what is going on, because of the time differential of the island to the outside world.  That would explain the message Hugo gave to Jack from Charlie.  I don't know if I'm explaining it exactly how I have it figured in my head, so if it makes no sense, put it down to the ravings of my tired lunatic mind.

I do think Rousseau and Karl are dead, though I am very disappointed.  I was really hoping for some backstory on Danielle.  We could still get some, but now that Alex is dead, I wonder if the writers would deem it superfluous?

I was relieved to get a few answers, such as how Sun gets off the island, and that Sawyer and others are still alive on the island - I'm assuming Jin is among them.

One question I have is just how far in the future was this?  Aaron is about 3 1/2 months old on the island, yet looked to be between 2 and 3 YEARS old in the flash forward.  Is it really that far in the future, or is the island time distortion the cause of his aging?

As the live commentary said on buddytv.com, "Let the pill popping begin."

Just had to share one more thing that gave me a laugh.  Here's an open letter to Lost.  Enjoy!

Reply 3#3 waterlilybarb's post

Hi again! I read the Letter - I agree with a lot of it. Especially with the idea of not liking when sci-fi play with the finality of death, it being cheap. My creative writing teacher once told me that the Easy Way out of writing a story was to kill of your main character, because they become larger than life and so all you can really do with them is kill them off, anything else would seem banal. So, I feel the same way. I can't believe that Hurley's right and they're all dead.

I do however understand where you're coming from with your idea that Charlie and Christian are on some other 'time plane.' I don't believe that Hurley's crazy, well not completely anyway! An interesting theory I hope we will see played out.

As for the date of when this was all taking place, the newspaper Jack was reading in the beginning was talking about last year's (2007) Red Sox win, so that would mean (if I remember right and Aaron was born in 2002-3?) that Aaron's about 4 or 5, so 3 years have passed? Though I'm not 100% on that, I can't quite remember the whole timeline.

Oh, and (quite unfortunately) I agree that the writers may just leave the Rousseau storyline...did you notice that when Miles was uncovering their buried bodies, the 'scary Lost music' piped up when they showed Karl, not Rousseau? Like she was a secondary character but it was Karl we were supposed to really be shocked about. I wonder if the writers have underestimated our interest in Rousseau?

Reply 86#86 dognxtdoor's post

Ooh that's a very good hypothesis!

The sandwich theory's interesting too...

Reply 4#4 studiojek's post

After I posted I read the Easter eggs, and saw that the scene was taking place in 2007.  Aaron was born in 2004, which would make him about 2 years & 10 months old, so I was right.   I like being right.

As for Rousseau, I don't know that the writer's have actually underestimated fan interest in her, but I do think that since Ben has become such pivotal character, they may just not have time to deal with her.  Ben wasn't originally supposed to be such a big role, but the actor Michael Emerson is SO good in the role, that they have expanded it, and must now follow that path.

Reply 5#5 waterlilybarb's post

That makes sense, about Ben I mean. They could however have let her stay alive (just in case they had a storyline for her in the future) and just killed off Carl no?

Reply 6#6 studiojek's post

Her ghost can start appearing like everyone else's and then bam back story.

Reply 7#7 gabsimom's post

True, hadn't thought of that! Good solution actually, and they could still do flashbacks/forwards if necessary.

Does anyone know why they got rid of Karl, Alexis & Danielle? I mean, just like that?! I thought we were gonna get a Danielle Rousseau flashback this season... And yes, I'm still not over the fact that Alexis is dead. Aaaargh!

Thread