Thread
Printable Version

Lost Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 62#62 desertdarlene's post

Episode 4x7 - Ji Yeon

I thought it was a great idea.  It had me guessing through the whole episode, as I was trying to figure out when Jin was.  His hair-do was a slight giveaway since it looked a little passé, as was his cell phone...but I was SO wanting him to be there.   As for the date on the headstone, I'll have to recheck it.  I wonder if he's really dead or still on the island and Sun has to play along or doesn't know.

I was SO happy when Sun slapped Juliet across the face for telling Jin about her affair.  She definitely had it coming.  I was also glad to see Bernard again.  I do like him.  AND, I was delighted when Jin went back to Sun after fishing and told her he understood why she did what she did.  Great storyline.

From this episode, it seems like Aaron is one of the Oceanic 6...since we were told ahead of time that this episode would tell us who the remaining member/s was.  So the 6 are: Jack, Kate, Hurley, Sayid, Aaron, and Sun.  Interesting mix.  We also finally had it confirmed that Michael IS Ben's man on the boat...no surprise, but his name is now Kevin Johnson?  I wonder where Walt is?  Maybe next week's episode will fill in some gaps on that front, since it's entitled "Meet Kevin Johnson".

p.s.  I'll get back to you when I have a chance to recheck the numbers on the headstone.  You've got me curious now.  They could easily have been the date of the crash, since all the returnees are living this big lie, and supposedly only 8 people survived the crash (according to Jack's story on the witness stand).  It would make sense that his tombstone would have his date of death in September of 2004.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 64#64 SirAlain's post

I really liked that too...the incorporation of time into the subplots.  I was talking about it with my Mum today, and she finds it so confusing...not knowing when people are.  She couldn't figure out why they told Jin it was a boy, when Sun had had a girl.   It clicked when I explained it to her, but all these time differences are throwing her for a loop.

Reply 68#68 desertdarlene's post

Episode 4x8 - Meet Kevin Johnson

Ben's story might not be a lie, but I still think he's evil.  Just hearing him tell Michael that he could be "one of the good guys" too, made me gag.  But he's one of those deliciously evil baddies, that I love to hate.

This episode kind of left me hanging.  The timeline of the events was rather wonky, and who cares if Tom is gay?  I wanted to know how Michael & Walt got rescued.  Instead, we got the story of how he was recruited by Ben.  Considering the crash only happened a little over 3 months ago (island time), what would convince him to return so soon?  I could understand it better if it had been months, like in last season's finale when Jack was losing his mind, but SO SOON?  Come on.

Why Danielle would listen to a word out of Ben's mouth is beyond me.  I know she loves her daughter and believes that, in his warped way, Ben loves Alex too, but why listen to the man that kidnapped your child?  I hope she's not dead.  I think Karl is though, which was most likely part of Ben's plan.

We did get the answer to where the bodies came from, and why they weren't recovered.  We also found out that the island won't let certain people die.  I think Tom jammed Michael's gun, but stranger things have been known to happen.  Other than that, we didn't learn much...oh, except there's ANOTHER Dharma location on the island, called The Temple.  Just how big is this island anyway?  

Well, 5 more weeks before we get any more answers...I mean questions...  It's beginning to do my head in.

Reply 72#72 desertdarlene's post

That's what I think too.  I think he wanted Karl dead, because he didn't like that he helped Kate & Sawyer, or that he & Alex were a couple.  How dare someone come between him and "daddy's little girl". BLECH!  Also, Alex was more defiant of Ben with Karl at her side.  The "Others" have been known to kill their own before, when they see fit...or rather when Ben sees fit.

REMINDER!

LOST starts up again this week!  Don't forget to tune in and then come back and share your thoughts.

Reply 2#2 desertdarlene's post

On Widmore - I don't know if I think he's really old, but his interest in the island is unusually great.  I wonder if he had an ancestor on The Black Rock and is a descendant of one of the original islanders and a shipwreck survivor.  He says the island is his, yet, he doesn't know how to find it.  Curious.

On Sayid & Ben - I too am surprised that Sayid fell so easily for Ben's line.  Whether or not it was actually a lie, I'm not exactly sure what I think there, but he played Sayid like a Stradivarius.  It's quite possible Ben put the hit on Nadia (having someone else kill her) just to recruit Sayid into his "war".

On Rousseau - I really hope she's not dead!  It would suck to have her die before we even know about her, but being dead wouldn't necessarily mean we won't get her backstory.  Maybe Ben could tell some of it.

studiojek - love your thoughts on the episode!  

You forgot to mention Sawyer, Locke & Hurley playing Risk.  What did you think about the comment, "Australia is the key to the whole game”?  I don't play Risk, but have friends who do, and I KNOW Australia is not key to winning the game.  Is it another red herring or a clue to finding out what's really going on here?

This is getting good!  Ben controls Smokey, and WOW was Smokey ever mad!   I knew the fence kept it out of the compound, but to see the force it went after the baddies with was awesome.  After seeing that, you'd REALLY not want to get on Ben's bad side.

What about Ben waking up in the Sahara wearing a Dharma parka?  

So many curious things happen...I just want some more answers.

Reply 5#5 alexgirl's post

I am also glad not to be the only one who thought of the polar bear remains (with Dharma tags) in the desert!  I read one theory that Ben actually teleports off the island, and the Sahara is one of the places that can be teleported to.  Farfetched?  Maybe, but it would explain why he was wearing a parka in the middle of the Sahara.  Did anyone else notice the Dharma logo on Ben's coat?  It's not one we've seen before, so obviously there are other stations we have yet to see.

I DID notice the stick he carried with him.  I love your explanation!   For such a weenie looking guy, he can kick some serious butt when he needs to.

STUDIOJEK -

I hadn't read the theory about Widmore being Ben's constant, but it's definitely a plausible one.  Whether or not they're related, I don't know, but there's more to Widmore's connection to the island than we have been led to believe.  My theory is in post #3.  His preoccupation with The Black Rock is one of my reasons.  He may be related to the Hansos - Alvar started the Dharma initiative, Tovard was the previous owner of The Black Rock Ledger, while Magnus Hanso was most likely the commander of The Black Rock...and was supposedly buried on the island.  

I'm a nerdy Lostie too, I just try not to get too much into the conspiracy theories, or my head would explode.    It's a good thing there's so much info out there though, because lately I've had a hard time remembering when things took place, and who knew what and when.  It's all a big puzzle, that I doubt anyone will solve until the last episode airs.  ARG!

Reply 8#8 alexgirl's post

Interesting.  I had not heard that theory before.

Do you think Ben has an Earth squasher somewhere on the island, or has he dug a very long tunnel?

Reply 11#11 dognxtdoor's post

I do remember Walt's "ability", and it's something my Mum & I discuss frequently when we're trying to figure out if the island itself actually chooses certain people to bestow what seem to be miracles upon - like Rose & Locke...but not Ben, since he developed the tumour after being an island resident.

I hope that somehow Walt is brought into the story again, and more than just the little glimpse we had in "Meet Kevin Johnson".  His ability was never really explored fully enough to be satisfying for the audience, so even if it was just explained, it would be good.

Nice remembering Dan.   I love when people tie the seasons together, or try to...it's getting harder all the time, it seems.

**SPOILER ALERT** Episode 4x10 - Something Nice Back Home

OMGoodness!  My head is going to explode with all the questions racing around inside of it.

Tonight's episode was a good one, but once again left me with more questions than answers.  I'll reserve actual comment until the episode is uploaded, so as not to ruin in for anyone.

Anyone wanting to discuss this week's episode, please do so here.  I'll merge it with the season 4 discussion thread next week.

Reply 2#2 studiojek's post

First, I must agree with thelostdiary commentary...I was thinking the exact same thing while watching the show.

I have the same suspicions about Kate's favour for Sawyer.  We already know she met Clementine's mother in her pre-island life, so looking her up to check on the little girl (and keeping Sawyer's secret) are VERY plausible.

I love how we finally have somewhat of a timeline for where last season's finale flash-forwarded to.  It's obviously after this, as you said, we see the beginning of Jack's downward spiral.  In THAT timeline, Jack talks about Christian in the present tense, so somehow he's going to be around.  I read the theory about Christian having a connection to Smokey too.  I'm not sure what I think of that.

I totally agree that Jack has found out that Aaron is his nephew - for the exact same reason as you.  The tone in his voice definitely seemed to imply more than he said.  As for Claire, I think she's still on the island somewhere, though why Christian led her off into the jungle in the middle of the night is curious.  

Rose & Bernard are THE BEST!  I totally love them, and am always happy when they are in an episode.  Rose voiced my sentiments when saying that the island was where people got healed, so there had to be some reason Jack suddenly became ill.  It can't just be coincidence.

I thought of Juliet being on her own with Jack, but Bernard was with her for most of the time, except when she sent him to get Kate.  I'm still not sure if I think she did something to Jack, though it was something I initially thought of, and told my Mum.  She thinks I've gone mad, since the questions are driving her batty, and my endless theorizing just makes her head spin.   

I have a theory.  Hurley sees Charlie.  Jack & Claire have both seen Christian, and Jack has seen him off the island.  I think it has something to do with time travel and only those who have been on the island can see them.  I think they died (Charlie & Christian) but maybe they are in some timeloop where they are still in the past (before they died) but can see what is going on, because of the time differential of the island to the outside world.  That would explain the message Hugo gave to Jack from Charlie.  I don't know if I'm explaining it exactly how I have it figured in my head, so if it makes no sense, put it down to the ravings of my tired lunatic mind.

I do think Rousseau and Karl are dead, though I am very disappointed.  I was really hoping for some backstory on Danielle.  We could still get some, but now that Alex is dead, I wonder if the writers would deem it superfluous?

I was relieved to get a few answers, such as how Sun gets off the island, and that Sawyer and others are still alive on the island - I'm assuming Jin is among them.

One question I have is just how far in the future was this?  Aaron is about 3 1/2 months old on the island, yet looked to be between 2 and 3 YEARS old in the flash forward.  Is it really that far in the future, or is the island time distortion the cause of his aging?

As the live commentary said on buddytv.com, "Let the pill popping begin."

Just had to share one more thing that gave me a laugh.  Here's an open letter to Lost.  Enjoy!

Reply 4#4 studiojek's post

After I posted I read the Easter eggs, and saw that the scene was taking place in 2007.  Aaron was born in 2004, which would make him about 2 years & 10 months old, so I was right.   I like being right.

As for Rousseau, I don't know that the writer's have actually underestimated fan interest in her, but I do think that since Ben has become such pivotal character, they may just not have time to deal with her.  Ben wasn't originally supposed to be such a big role, but the actor Michael Emerson is SO good in the role, that they have expanded it, and must now follow that path.

**SPOILER ALERT** Lost - 4x11 - Cabin Fever

OK boys and girls, this weeks episode was a doozy!  Tired of the flash forwards?  That's aright, because this week we get some interesting & (sort of) revealing flashbacks.

This is a Locke-centric episode, which are always good.  I'll refrain from saying anymore until the rest of you have had a chance to see it.  All I'll say is "Holy Crap!"  That was good!

Reply 1#1 waterlilybarb's post

OK, I've waited, and the show has been on the site all day, so here goes.

This episode ROCKED!  As I said, I love the Locke-centric episodes, and this one did not disappoint.  It looks as if Locke was destined for that island from the time he was born!  How the heck is that possible, except for the time travel theory that's been floating around?  And who did we see at the hospital when John was a newborn but our (not so) old friend Richard!  Then again when he was 6, and another offer form him as a young nerdy teen!  How the heck is that possible?!  I loved when John was 6 and Richard came to see him at his adopted families home.  The items he put before him and the option to choose the item that already belonged to him - what did little John pick?  Just the knife!  Creepy, but apt - though it sent Richard packing, saying that he chose wrong.  Curious?  I'll need to check the Easter Eggs, because I'm curious about that comic book!  For one thing, it put me in mind of Walt.  if the island can choose people from birth, it seems a fair bet that Walt was one of the chosen ones...at least in my eyes.

Next he met the oh so creepy Matthew Abaddon, who is his orderly(?) while he's in rehab after his fall.  Abaddon is the one who tells John to go on the walkabout in Australia, and tells him of his own experience - going thinking he was one thing, and coming out another.  Weird again.

But those things don't even compare with the rest of the strangeness of the episode.  I like Hurley's theory that the reason they can see the cabin is that they're the craziest people on the island.   Makes about as much sense as anything else so far.

Earlier we had Locke dreaming of Horace Goodspeed in the process of building the cabin.  He tells Locke that he's been dead for 12 years, and there's not even a batted eyelash at that revelation.  He tells Locke to find him if he wants to find Jacob.  What does Locke do upon awaking?  He leads his little band to the mas grave of Dharma bodies, digs through the carcasses, and finds a map to Jacob's cabin in Horace's pocket.  Creepy!

Off we go again.  Once they reach the cabin  John goes in alone, and finds - CHRISTIAN SHEPHARD?!  We knew he was there before, since Hurley had seen him when he 1st saw the cabin, but now Christian tells John that he can speak in Jacob's behalf.  What's going on?  Is Christian really dead or what?  The next thing we see is someone else in the shadows.  Who can it be?  None other than CLAIRE!  She's certainly not looking herself.  She has an odd creepy smile on her face and seems perfectly content where she is.  Is she dead?  I don't know, but I guess we know why Kate has Aaron in the future.  Anyway, Locke asks Christian what Jacob wants him to do.  When he returns to Hurley and Ben he tells them his mission - Jacob only wants him to MOVE THE ISLAND!?  And here I was expecting something difficult.   

That's my take on Cabin Fever - and that's not even including what went down on the freighter (which was equally cool)!  I'm telling you - this show is awesome!  There are always more questions than answers, and it seems like no episode is long enough to satisfy our curiosity, but it keeps us sucked into the crazy vortex of the Lost world, ready to theorize with the best of them as to what's really going on on this show, and in the writer's minds.

I can't wait to hear what everyone else thought!

Reply 3#3 studiojek's post

I HAVE to agree with you on Ben and the cussing.  It was quite amusing to hear him swear.  It definitely doesn't suit him.   I don't think he and Locke are brothers, though there's definitely something more going on.  Once again, this episode showed LOCKE to be the man of science AND the man of faith.  It's quite a fascinating juxtaposition that they keep throwing in there to keep us on our toes.

Interesting point about the purge and Rousseau's length of time on the island.  That does seem significant.

As for Keamy et al, I didn't suspect them of killing Rousseau & Karl until they showed up with Alex.  Once they did that, it seemed pretty cut & dry, though my initial suspicion was that Ben sent them out there for the Others to get rid of Karl for him.

I'm with you.  I need to simmer some more with this.

Reply 103#103 SirAlain's post

a lot of that episode was showing what Michael was up to before getting on the freighter, so Tom would have been killed shortly after his appearance on the mainland...though how he travelled so quickly continuing mystery.

Reply 105#105 SirAlain's post

Check out this week's episode discussion here.  I merge the previous weeks into this one before posting a new thread for each week.  We'd love to hear your thoughts, as we've got some pretty good theories ourselves.  I think we're all as crazy as Locke, Hurley & Ben.

Reply 6#6 studiojek's post

I finally got around to checking out the lostdiary.com.  Great site, but evil girl for giving me somewhere else to read through the endless (and fascinating) comments.

I've read so much now that I'm not sure which are my thoughts and which are someone else's.  **mind reeling with too much input**

As for the knife, it seemed to me when watching the episode that young John chose the knife on purpose, like he knew it wasn't what he was supposed to choose, but rather what he wanted.  It seems to be a recurring theme in Locke's life that he keeps trying to deny who he is.  As a teen he doesn't want to be the "science nerd" and even when he was working at the box factory he played role-playing video games which were war-centric.

Reply 10#10 onetolove's post

I've heard a couple of theories - one hilarious, and meant to be so, and one quite plausible in the world of Lost.  

First CRAZY theory - everyone jump in the water and kick...intimating they could move the island by pushing hard enough while swimming.  Total joke, but extremely humorous, and a great visual.

Second - not so crazy theory - they don't have to physically move the island if they can move it in TIME.  I can't recall the specifics, but I thought this was a pretty good idea.

**SPOILER ALERT** Lost - 4x12 - There's No Place Like Home (Part 1)

The show will be airing in about 20 minutes on television.  Thought I'd post the thread for any who have a cance to watch it tonight and want to talk about it.  I'll come by tomorrow to share me take on the episode, as I'm extremely tired tonight, and if I can stay awake to watch it, I know I won't be with it enough to post anything that would make sense.

Happy Viewing!

p.s. For all you Lost addicts like me, there will be no episode next week , but rather a 2 hour finale (parts 2 & 3) airing on May 29 at 9pm ET.

Thread