Thread
Printable Version

Lost Season 4-6 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Reply 66#66 desertdarlene's post

I just checked Lostpedia myself.  It doesn't give an exact date of his arrival, but says he was born in the early '60's which would put him arriving on the Island in the mid-seventies - so I think that's OK.  They used the same kid to portray him as the youger Ben, so I'm guessing he's been on the Island for a couple years by now - just going by the look of the kid.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 69#69 desertdarlene's post

I have a feeling they changed something too.  I don't know what, but when Hugo asked about telling the Dharma folks about the purge, it got me thinking.

Interesting thoughts on Sun.  I hadn't thought of that as to why she wouldn't have been in the past too, but there has to be some reason (there don't seem to be any non-reasons for things on Lost) - and she's the one who seems to have changed the most during the 3 years.

I've never gotten around to reading the Pilgrim's Progress.  I know a little about it, but what part of the story reminds you of it?

Reply 71#71 desertdarlene's post

Interesting.  I'll get around to reading the Pilgrim's Progress one of these days, but it won't be soon - I'm packing up again getting ready to relocate...again.   It's one I've always wanted to read though, and from what you say I can see the parallel.

Reply 73#73 desertdarlene's post

Thanks.  I was wondering about that - though it's been on my list for quite a while.  I'm glad to hear it won't be something I'll have to trudge through, like some others I've read.  

I still don't have an MP3 player, and while the town I currently live in has a library, it's very small and doesn't have much in the way of audio books.  I have a list (ever growing) of books I want to read at some point, and now that there are more audio books, listening to them is a good idea.  I can always download them onto my computer - until I get around to getting an MP3 player.  I'll look at the city library after I move, as I can listen while I'm unpacking or decorating my new apartment (once I have one).

5x10 - "He's Our You"

Just under 2 hours until Lost.  I'm excited...is that sad? lol  Catch y'all later for the confab on the episode.

**SPOILERS** - Thoughts while watching:

So far so good.  It's a Sayid-centric episode, and I saw Jeremy Davies name in the credits - so Faraday should be in this episode.  Good stuff!

Ben just told Sayid he's a killer, that it's in his nature.  I SO want Sayid to do away with young Ben...but that wouldn't serve the story, so I doubt it will happen.

Turns out Newhart's "Larry" (as in - 'Hi, I'm Larry, this is my brother Daryl & my other brother Daryl') is their Sayid.  I was NOT expecting that when I saw his name (William Sanderson) in the opening credits.

OMGoodness!  Sayid just told young Ben he was there to "take him to his people".  I wonder who he means?  The Hostiles - or our travellers?  This is so good!  I hate watching alone.

Holy Crap, Batman!  HE DID IT!  *read with shock & awe!*

No Faraday - not even in a flashback.  He must be just part of the regular cast, but they don't always put everyone in the credits if they aren't in the episode.  Bummer, I was hoping to see him, but WOW what an ending!

Reply 80#80 desertdarlene's post

I have a feeling Ben isn't dead either.  I like the theory about the bullet causing the tumour - that would be interesting.  Whatever the case, the shooting will definitely have implications on the future.  If Faraday is correct - that they can't change the past, then Ben will not be dead, but that doesn't mean there won't be some ripple effect from the shooting.

We now know that Ilana was a bounty hunter who had Sayid in cuffs - I had wondered about that...if she was a cop or something else.

About the taser - I did a little research...as I'm wont to do.  Apparently, the first "stun gun" (the initial form of the taser) was invented in either 1969 or 1974, depending on the source.  Either way, it 's possible that Sawyer would have had access to an early one since the Dharma Initiative had a huge weapons stockpile.

Reply 82#82 desertdarlene's post

I didn't know they'd been around for so long either.  They haven't been in use for as long, but considering the resources of the DHARMA Initiative (I know - I'm so sucked into the show ), it's not surprising they would have access to them.

On another note, I just rewatched the episode and I have to say, one of my favourite lines in this one was when Sayid said to Sawyer, "A 12 year old Ben Linus just brought me a chicken salad sandwich.  How do you think I'm doing?"

Also, after all the build up of what a psycho Oldham was, and considering he was supposed to be their Sayid, ie: their torturer, it was a little anticlimactic to see him just give Sayid some kind of psychotropic truth serum...and then for NO one to believe what Sayid said.

5x11 - "Whatever Happened, Happened"

OK, here I am again - all excited about the new episode of Lost tonight.  I've avoided spoilers, but I do know Kate is featured in this episode, though I don't know to what extent.   Only 4hrs 50min to go.

Reply 84#84 waterlilybarb's post

**POSSIBLE SPOILERS** (only if you haven't seen the episode)

Someone called me just as Lost was starting, so I just finished watching it now.  Hurley is so the audience - asking Miles to explain time travel to him and why they don't remember all this stuff happening to them.  Made me laugh when Miles finally got to the point when he says, "I didn't think of that."   

Locke's words to Ben as he awakens were also good, because how sure are we that Locke is really alive - in our sense of the word?  I'm beginning to wonder if there is not only time travel happening here, but also parallel universes/timelines, with varying outcomes.

Kate surprised me a little by bringing Aaron to his Grandma.  I thought for sure she left him with Cassidy, BUT I was right about what Sawyer whispered in her ear before bailing.  Cassidy is one shrewd lady - and rather than saying he was being heroic thought his jumping out of the helicopter was more an act of cowardice.  Sawyer's pretty much agreed with Cassidy, and sounds like he's a lot more content in his relationship with Juliet than I would have thought.

That's all for now - though there are other things - WAY BIGGER issues - that were revealed in this episode.

Reply 87#87 gabsimom's post

As soon as Richard took Ben, I knew he was taking him to the temple.  They did make Ben the man he became...stupid people!

Jack has actually gained some insight though.  When Kate said she liked the old Jack better - his reply?  You didn't like the old me.  He also didn't feel the need to jump in and try and save the day, like he would have in the past.  I think he has a better understanding of what's going on than most of the others - even if he doesn't fully understand the nature of the weird time travelling trip they're on.  But honestly, who could?

Reply 89#89 desertdarlene's post

I think they should have let Ben die too (how cold are we ), but the Island probably wouldn't have let that happen.

I'll have to rewatch to look at the woman who took Aaron.  I will say, as much as I liked Cassidy, I was wondering if she was somehow responsible for Kate losing Aaron.  I guess, in a way, she was - as it seemed to be what she said that moved Kate to go to Grandma Littleton.

Reply 92#92 gabsimom's post

Ellie is Eloise Hawking, aka Faraday's mother, aka the lady who sent them back to the Island.  Both she & Widmore were in the episode "Jughead" as their younger selves.

Reply 94#94 gabsimom's post

I'm not really sure who's side Ellie is on.  She knew Widmore on the Island, so they could be in cahoots, or she may have an agenda all her own that we aren't yet aware of.  It sure will be interesting to find out though.

Dead is Dead

I'm not going to say much yet, seeing that most won't have had a chance to see the episode yet, but from this episode, it looks like Ben didn't kill Penny, and we got to see Desmond kick the crap out of him. YAY!  I sure hope that he didn't somehow get a chance to kill her (in a scene we haven't yet seen).

Reply 100#100 desertdarlene's post

I want to know how they knew to pose the question in the first place.  That definitely put a new spin on what they were doing there.  

So much else was answered - I just don't have time today to go into it, but I'm sure I'll post again before next week's episode.

Reply 107#107 desertdarlene's post

Just a thought, but 1.6 million goes along with the numbers popping up...16 being one of the numbers.

Reply 111#111 desertdarlene's post

It was, and I (like you) thought when I heard Miles' response to Bram that we now know why he wanted such an unusual amount from Ben.

Reply 113#113 desertdarlene's post

I've never checked out any forums on FB.  I read other Lost sites and comments (usually not all the member comments) but I find it more fun to try and figure it out myself - with you all.   

BTW, I totally missed Wednesday this week (so busy packing) but was glad to be reminded that there wasn't a new episode, so I didn't miss anything.

Reply 116#116 studiojek's post

I think they held it back because there are only 3 new episodes left this season...plus, it's time for the hockey playoffs, so maybe that factors in as well.

Thread