Thread
Printable Version

The Gentleman's(and not so) Club

Reply 184#184 casper27's post

What about Redheads?  They're (we're) a vital part of the estrogen brigade too.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

Reply 187#187 bala's post

Didn't know I was so frightening.   I will admit, we're like a sub-species of woman (or so my sister insists).  She says (as a brunette) that redheads are not only feisty, but generally have a great sense of humour and a superior sense of style.

Reply 210#210 bala's post

You guys made the mess - you can clean it up.

Reply 212#212 bala's post

Seeing as I don't drink anything from a can, I too can say none of them are mine.

Reply 215#215 bala's post

Nope.  I don't drink soda.  If I ever drink beer it's from a bottle or I order draught beer in a restaurant or pub.  I mostly drink water, sometimes juice, and either a cup of tea or coffee.

Reply 217#217 bala's post

Yep.

Reply 219#219 bala's post

Since I don't drink that often (and it's only the occasional beer), I'm willing to pay the bit extra for the better taste.   If I were a soda drinker I'd probably buy tins.  I just don't like it.

Reply 221#221 bala's post

I'm NOT a Yank!  I'm Canadian - there's a difference.  I didn't realize soda was a North American term though.  I'll keep that in mind.  We have soda water here too, if that's what you're referring to - mainly used for mixed drinks, or by people who don't drink alcohol.

Reply 226#226 bala's post

Just so you know, North America is a continent, like Europe or Asia.  It is comprised of the United States, Canada and Mexico, along with some smaller nations and territories - see here.  You wouldn't appreciate it if I said you were Polish or Italian, just because you're from the same continent as those countries.  It's the same thing.  Canada is it's own country and is actually part of the Commonwealth.  We are not one of the US states, as are Texas and New York, for example.  We have our own government and our country, the 2nd largest in the world, is comprised of 10 provinces and 3 territories.

That's why I get annoyed when you call me an American.  I like Americans, and have relatives who are American, but I am Canadian, and though not a politically active person, I am proud of where I come from.

Reply 229#229 bala's post

Didn't know you were going to class today, eh?  I wasn't expecting to give a geography/geopolitical class either...so we'll call it even.  

Reply 242#242 shinny's post

Regarding the accent thing, I find it hilarious when people can't understand someone who is a native English speaker because of their accent.  I was channel surfing a couple years ago and saw a film with sub-titles.  I stopped, curious as to where it was from and what language it was.  They were speaking ENGLISH!   It was from Scotland - Glasgow, to be specific - and I know a Glaswegian accent is hard for some to understand.  I just found it very comical that there were English subtitles (and they weren't even correct ) on an English language film.  

The high school I went to was the center for English as a 2nd language students, and I have a good ear so was one of the few who could understand almost anyone - no matter how thick the accent.  Because of that, I was an English tutor for some of those students.  There are so many people being transplanted to different parts of the world now, that it's a huge asset to be able to understand broken English.  I WILL say, it's much harder to understand over the telephone though, and I sometimes wish more call centers would be located in places where the companies could be certain that people could understand the person trying to help them.

Reply 248#248 casper27's post

When I'm around it, it's pretty good.  Some years back I was visiting friends.  They also had company from Doncaster, which I spent the day with (mostly the children).  In the evening another friend stopped by (who I'd known for years) and asked me how long I'd be in Canada.  Apparently my day with the kids had caused me to pick up their accent.  When I told him it was me, he said he thought I looked familiar, but the accent threw him off.

I have another friend from Australia who also enjoys doing other accents.  We discovered this upon our first meeting.  I was explaining how I knew where he was from - not where he lived, as I recognized his accent as a NSW one, and at that time he lived in Western Australia.  I said it was the same in Canada - that we had regional accents.  By the time he went back I asked him if he noticed the difference.  He said he could, somewhat, but that my accent was an original, as it was rarely the same.  Apparently my accent changes all the time, depending on the company I keep, the movies I've watched or the books I've read.  It's not conscious, but I found it amusing.

p.s.  That's too funny Shinny!  I wonder where she thought you were from?  I can't imagine she was so stupid as to think that people in Ireland don't speak English - there are plenty of Irish people in the States.

Reply 251#251 shinny's post

I wouldn't be shocked.  People can be stupid.

Reply 253#253 funny-girl101's post

I know where Idaho is!   

I saw that episode of the show.  She's sweet, but she's dumb.  Doesn't say a whole lot for the education system, that's for sure.

Reply 256#256 casper27's post

That's TOO funny!   Thanks Craig - that was just what I needed.

Here's Another:

This is one of my favourites. It's Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans. (Sorry the image isn't as clear, but the sound is good.

p.s. Ottawa is the capital of Canada - not Toronto.

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 6-9-2008 16:51 ]

Reply 263#263 waterlilybarb's post

It's more about how little Americans know about their nearest neighbour.   People are just beyond stupid!

Reply 268#268 bala's post

Very nice, but you need to reset the time.

Reply 270#270 bala's post

I was joking.  I knew it was a stock picture.

Reply 277#277 imarielle626's post

I'm going to guess it's somewhere in Israel...probably near the Gaza Strip.

OK, I think my guess was correct, but I did some research and more specifically, I think it's the city of Sderot.  Am I right?

[ Last edited by waterlilybarb at 6-22-2008 21:38 ]

Thread