Thread
Printable Version

closed captioning

closed captioning

does anyone know if closed captioning is available on this site or with Realplayer? and if so how to find it and start it?

Reply 1#1 cire_inv's post

I don't think so. When I first became a member I asked about closed caption because I am hearing impaired. They didn't have it then. I use headphones to be able to hear the shows better.
Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear.

Reply 1#1 cire_inv's post

Close captioning isnt offered by the site but you can do as penny3760 suggests.
trulee - Red is better than Blue, We're the CHAMPIONS so it's TRUE!!

Reply 2#2 penny3760's post

I am curious if you have tried the speech recognition in Windows? I might set it up and give it a shot later to see if it's feasible.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

Reply 4#4 silver1978's post

Shannon, I don't know what speech recognition is but thank you so much for thinking of me and trying to make it better for me to enjoy the shows. The head phones I use really help a lot. There are only a few shows that I have a hard time understanding what the characters are saying. Torchwood and Dr Who are just a couple of the shows I have a problem with. I can hear them but I have a hard time understanding the words.
Love starts with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear.

Reply 5#5 penny3760's post

There is a program within Windows that allows for speech to be translated to text within Microsoft Works. It is primarily for dictation purposes, so am not sure how it would work for tv shows with ambient noise. It requires a microphone to use, so I am going to dig one out of my "things I don't use" closet and see if I can get it to work at all.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting."
E. E. Cummings

unfortunately closed captioning would require a major update to the site anyone who watches anime as i do has had some experience with this... I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i believe that the videos hosted are of the wrong file type so to get subtitles the site would have to swap out all the videos... or possibly create a new server which i dont see happening just for the hearing impaired. Maybe if there was some interest in not just english subtitles but if some users who knew what they were doing would translate the episodes to make subtitles for those who dont speak english.For example adding hebrew, spannish, french...etc Any who from my experience the site would have to edit the videos and add subtitles themselves... meaning typing up every single episodes dialogue... yes there is no easy way to do this. Unless they used a video system that lets you open an external subtitle file that the user downloaded from somewhere else (i have no idea where). Plus since admins are chinese and while they do alright in posts...typing hours and hours of english subtitles seems to annoying to do for someone where english is not their first language. [ Last edited by ninetails222 at 8-3-2008 04:48 ]

thanks everybody for your information. i will look into the speech recognition software.

Thread