Thread
Printable Version

TV Show News & Ratings

ABC makes pilot order for new 'V'

ABC has ordered a pilot for a remake of cult '80s miniseries V, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

4400 co-creator Scott Peters has written the script for the Warner Bros. TV pilot, which will follow Homeland Security agent Erica Evans and her son as they combat an invasion from lizard-like aliens.

Created by Kenneth Johnson, V ran as two miniseries on NBC in 1983 and 1984. It also aired as a 19-episode series in the 1984-85 season.

The project is one of several '80s-themed revivals in the works. ABC is also reimagining the 1987 Jack Nicholson/Cher movie The Witches Of Eastwick for TV and NBC has greenlit Lost In The '80s, with P.J. Hogan attached to direct the pilot.

ABC has ordered a pilot for a new journalism drama from Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes, reports The Hollywood Reporter.

Inside The Box will revolve around an ambitious female news producer and her colleagues who work at a Washington network news bureau.

The show is being executive produced by Rhimes, who has also served as a writer and a producer on Grey's and its spinoff drama Private Practice.

Richard E. Robbins will script the pilot and executive produce alongside Rhimes and Betsy Beers.

Dexter's Daniel Cerrone was also handed a pilot order for his untitled series about a detective who solves crimes with his gifted 11-year-old brother, while John Scott Shepherd was given the greenlight for legal drama I, Claudia.

NBC greenlights futuristic pilot 'Day One'

NBC has handed Jesse Alexander a pilot order for his futuristic drama Day One.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the project centres on a global event that tears down the world's infrastructures. The pilot will follow a group of survivors attempting to rebuild society and uncover the mystery of the cataclysmic event.

Alexander is a former Heroes writer and co-executive producer. He and Jeph Loeb were dismissed as showrunners from the superhero drama last year and replaced by Bryan Fuller.

Alexander has also worked on J.J. Abrams shows Lost and Alias.

Mega Buzz on Lost, Lipstick Jungle, CSI: NY, Minds and More

Senior editors Matt Mitovich, Mickey O'Connor and Tim Molloy answer your questions every Wednesday. Please feel free to drop us a line at mega_scoop@tvguide.com.

Will Ben's childhood girlfriend, Annie, be showing up on Lost this season? And any word on Rousseau? — Adam
MATT: I'd give my Dharma-brand nuts to have the castaways time-trip to the Others' very early days and spy on nerdy Ben and his pubescent crush. And who knows, maybe that territory will be plumbed when we get a Ben-centric episode in mid-March? As for "the French woman," I'm holding firm to my belief that we see Danielle in this week's episode. (Team Darlton will dissect my theory in this Thursday's "Getting Lost" video entry.)

Did Lipstick Jungle's final two episodes do well enough in the ratings for NBC to reconsider keeping the show on the air? — Spence
MICKEY: The short answer is yes, they did! "It has not been officially canceled," says Angela Bromstad, president of NBC's prime-time programming. "I happen to think it's a wonderful cast and a quality show, but it's just not [performing broadly] enough in the ratings." She went on to say that they're investigating the idea of placing it on a niche-ier cable network. Wouldn't Lipstick be a perfect fit on NBCU's own Bravo? Well, watch what happens!

What happened to Reed Garrett, Mac's stepson on CSI: NY? Are we going to see more of him? — Luc
CSI: NY's Flack and Angell have confirmed that they indeed are "seeing each other." What's next for them? Also, will we see more of Flack's alcoholic sis, Sam?  — Clarisse
TIM: Executive producer Pam Veasey has teases galore. Reed and Sam may return in Season 6, she says. And now that Angell and Flack are indeed in a relationship, viewers can expect "some hot moments to come."

Criminal Minds' Hotch and Prentiss have had some great scenes together this season. Is there any chance (fingers crossed) that they will become a couple? — Holly
MATT: A couple, no — but a source tells me you will see how much they care for each other as team members. That moment comes during a February March sweeps episode, when Hotch sticks his neck out for Prentiss on a case that is very personal to her. In that same hour, you'll also get new insight into Prentiss' romantic past, including mistakes she made as a teen.

Is Christina still on 90210? If so, what will happen between her and Dixon? — Diamonde
MICKEY: Lauren London's appearance on this week's episode was the last for which she was contracted. It's unclear what the producers intended Christina's legacy to be — she wasn't exactly a new love interest for Dixon — but at least we got to use the term "lesbian cheerleader" here on the site!

Any scoop on NCIS' Tony DiNozzo? Out of all the characters, I think we have the least back story on him! — Akhila
MATT: That tide is about to change, Akhila. "Tony fans are in for an exciting season finale — poignant, sad and shocking!" exec producer Shane Brennan tells the Buzz. "But before then, in an episode called 'Knockout,' we'll learn more intriguing details about Tony's recent past." It's like Christmas-come-late, am I right?

I like the chemistry between Amy and Ricky on The Secret Life of the American Teenager. What's next for those two, and for which girl does Ricky have real feelings? — Kelly
TIM: Ah, to understand the emotional loyalties of the teenage mind. Given Amy's marriage to Ben, you might think the bond between her and Ricky would end. But you might be wrong. Frequent Secret Life director Jason Priestley struggled a bit when we asked him what's next for Amy and her band-camp paramour: "Ben and Amy go through with their wedding, but then obviously... Amy and Ricky try to, sort of... this is tough, I'm gonna get in trouble if I tell you too much." Interpret as you will.

I know In Plain Sight won't be back until summer, but do you have any scoop?  Like maybe that Mary's mom and sis will be going far, far away, never to be heard from again? — Camille
MICKEY: Yes, Lesley Ann Warren is kind of a pill as Jinx, but she's a good foil to daughter Mary's exasperated eye-rolling. Brandi, I'm afraid, isn't going anywhere either, since they've just cast Joshua Malina (Sports Night) in the recurring role of her new AA buddy. Bonus! Lost's Libby (aka Cynthia Watros) will appear in an early Season 2 episode, as one of Mary's witnesses.

It looks like TBS is setting My Boys up for an early-April return.  Do you have any additional information? — Patrick
TIM: Just one piece of good intel that contradicts your own, Patrick — but I think you'll be glad. My Boys is returning in March.

What can you tell me about The Unit? Please say that Charlotte Canning isn't hooking back up with Col. Tom Ryan! Also, who can I bribe to get Robert Patrick more screen time? — Brittany
MATT: Your bad news: We haven't seen the last of Tom's estranged wife, Charlotte (played by Rebecca Pidgeon). Your good news: When The Unit reports back for duty on Feb. 15, new light will be shed on Tom's past as he ponders a promotion — one which would remove him from the Unit.

Is Sons of Anarchy going to return? — Joanne
TIM: It sure is. FX's biker drama will be back for its second cycle in the fall — no date's been set — and creator Kurt Sutter has teased that the sophomore season will focus on internal struggles. Oh, and also choppers.

Can you please tell me if we will finally see Kyle XY and Jessi get a chance this season? I really love them together. — Nonna
MATT: Does a belly button collect lint?

Tim's Mega Rave: Most years, I'm the only person alive who doesn't care about the Super Bowl. This year I feel like the only one who does. I get that the Cardinals don't have many fans outside Arizona, and that plenty of teams hate Pittsburgh for destroying their hopes (again and again). But I used to live in Arizona and The 'Burgh, so I couldn't be more psyched. Pittsburgh deserves the edge for having the better fans — their mayor even changed his name from Luke Ravenstahl to Steelerstahl. Legally. I think he's changed it back, but yeah: Go Stillers.

Mickey's Mini Rant: We love Desmond Harrington as Dexter's shady Joey Quinn, but his one-dimensional portrayal of Gossip Girl's nefarious Uncle Jack, a sweaty-faced cokehead flailing to steal Chuck's inheritance, fell flat on its Bass.

Matt's Micro Riff: 24's Colm Feore is one feisty First Gentleman.

Source TVGUIDE.COM

Writer Claims "Hannah" Is His Baby!

A dude claims he's the inspiration and more for "Hannah Montana" and wants Disney to give him due credit -- as in a lot of money.

Richard Fronduto filed a lawsuit today in L.A. County Superior Court, claiming he wrote a script in 1990 called "The Secret Life of Sindi" which eventually became "The Family Business."

Fronduto claims his agent pitched his work to Disney and that Disney liked it so much they asked him to turn his script into a two-hour pilot. In short, he claims he's the brainchild for what became "Hannah Montana."

Fronduto claims numerous similarities between his script and "Montana." Both feature a 13-to-14-year-old middle class American girl who leads a double life as an ordinary teen and successful pop star. Both feature a single parent who acts as her alter ego's manager. And both have a best friend "with whom she shares her secrets." Doesn't that sound like half the Disney shows? We're just sayin' ...

Fronduto is suing for damages as well as a "Created by" credit on all future publications and broadcasts of "Hannah Montana."

Pilot News: Lauren Graham's New Show Is a Go!

ABC has given a green light to a pair of comedy pilots, including one that will mark Gilmore gal Lauren Graham's return to the small screen.

In Let It Go, Graham will play a self-help guru/talk show host whose advice to woman winds up falling on her own deaf ears when her "perfect" beau gives her the boot.

Alex Herschlag of Will & Grace will write the pilot as well as exec-produce with Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum and Mitch Hurwitz. Graham herself will serve as a producer.

Graham will juggle the lensing of her pilot with her upcoming run in Broadway's Guys and Dolls, which begins previews Wednesday and officially raises its curtain March 1.

The other laffer that got a go-ahead from ABC on Thursday is The New Twenty, which is about two friends in their 40s who are at different stages in life (one has a newborn, the other has a kid entering college).

The Closer Creator James Duff: Fantasy and Reality

Action often begins with a dream. Achieving our heart's desire requires us to fully envision exactly what we want. Ambition, drive, discipline: these are only the byproducts of what we imagine possible.

Unfortunately, goals sometimes turn into expectations. Our insistence on fulfilling specific dreams, in spite of altered circumstances or misfortune or the onslaught of nature (deciding you want to play professional baseball at the age of 50, for example or applying to the American Ballet Theatre at 40), can lead to dire consequences. There are people who flat out ruin their lives because they are not what they expected; they settle into ordinary lives while nursing extraordinary dreams of what they might have had. Commonly, this sort of human behavior manifests itself in affairs outside primary relationships. That's unpleasant but it's not a crime. Preying on the disappointed, however, by offering them everything a repressed heart can desire, offering a lifelong dream that does not require hard work and resolve: this is truly dangerous.

In this Monday night's episode, "Junk in the Trunk," and in keeping with this season's examination of power, we look at the influence fantasy has on our everyday lives. Get rich quick. Find the perfect boyfriend. Imagine you're sicker than you really are, or that you don't need the assistance that a full recovery requires. These are all delusions that can lead to tragedy.

The sparkling allure of a different life dazzles, but it can also blind. Dreams that cannot be achieved without changing your identity usually end up as nightmares.

No spoilers here, but I will say that we have a fun, shocking ride at the beginning of this episode involving a 300-lb. man, a tow truck and an awkwardly placed telephone pole. I should remind you that bodies are mostly liquid. The morgue in Los Angeles does have its own chop shop. And this episode also stars Frances Sternhagen and Barry Corbin (who return as Brenda's parents) and introduces a young Latina actress in her television debut, and from whom we hope for great things. More on her later. Phillip Keene, who plays Buzz (the civilian audio/visual aide), finally gets an opportunity to do more than carry his camera around and look askance. And, once more, Brenda ends up in a wedding dress — and sees more than a bride in her mirror.

Finally, thanks to all of you who tuned into The Closer last week for its regularly scheduled premiere. Once again, you helped make us the most watched scripted show on cable. Your commitment allows us to come back each year and tell more stories. We are so grateful to be invited into your homes, especially when you know — in advance — we're about to do something criminal!

James Duff

P.S. I expect, because of the nature of our audience, many of you will figure out the crime very early. But shhhhh. Don't spoil it for others. And the ending differs from ordinary Closers. Keep watching!

Source TVGUIDE.COM

O'Donnell, LL Cool J rumored for NCIS spin-off

CBS has an easy lay-up with its upcoming spin-off of NCIS, but there is still some business to attend to before the ratings start piling in. The network has begun courting stars to headline the show, and the first rumors coming in place Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J at the top of the list.

According to EW.com, O'Donnell and LL are currently in negotiations to star in the untitled series, which will get its wheels in motion later this year. The plan is to introduce the new NCIS team in an episode of NCIS this season and likely branch them out next fall.

O'Donnell (Scent of a Woman, Batman & Robin) is looking to fill the role of Callen, a man who can change personas in an instant. Rapper-turned-actor LL Cool J (In the House) is gearing up to play a former Navy SEAL.

Do you think these are the right choices for this highly anticipated project?

source: tv.com

Reply 71#71 gyki98's post

I think LL Cool J would be believable as a former Navy SEAL.  It's will be how O'Donnell plays the role for me to decide whether he's the right guy for that part.  He's a good actor, but he's done some stinkers.  His guest spots on other TV series though have always been really well acted, and totally believable - even when he was playing a creepy guy.
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

I think due LL COOL J would be great in this role, I saw him in SWAT and thought he was brilliant so Its sort of the same role for him if he does it

Louis Walsh 'wants £1.3m for X Factor'

Louis Walsh is reportedly asking for £1.3 million to work on the next series of The X Factor.

The manager and existing panel member is said to be in London this week to resolve his contract demands, The Sun reports.

It is claimed that Walsh is looking to improve on his current deal, which is valued at £800,000.

An insider said: "It may sound like a lot of money but that's how Louis sees his market value.

"He is a key reason why The X Factor has become one of Britain's most popular TV shows and he has had a lot of success in the 'real world' managing the likes of Boyzone and Westlife."

The source added that Simon Cowell is aware of the viewers' affection for Walsh and knows he will have to spend sufficiently to ensure his participation in the next series.

At the weekend, it was claimed that Dannii Minogue had been offered a new contract to continue as a judge on the talent show, despite earlier claims that she would be replaced this year.

FX develops superhero comic 'Powers'

FX is developing a pilot adaptation of Brian Michael Bendis's superhero comic Powers, reports MTV.

Speaking at the New York Comic Con, Bendis revealed that he recently turned in a script and is awaiting feedback from the network.

He said: "Next week I'll get the notes, and as long as they don't involve sock puppets and some sort of orgy scene that I'm not interested in, then hopefully it will go in the right direction."

The writer described FX as a "very smart network" and declared that it is the "right place" to set up a live-action version of his continuing comic book saga.

Powers centres on homicide detectives Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim who are assigned to cases involving superheroes.

Bendis added that he was relieved his comic was being adapted for TV after years of failed attempts to turn it into a movie.

"We had to sit through waves of screenplays that were just inappropriate for the product, and for fans of the book," Bendis explained. "There were whole drafts of the screenplay without Deena in them. They'd hand me the screenplay and go, 'What's wrong with this?' and I'd go 'He has no-one to talk to!'"

Aniston: I'd do one-off 'Friends' episode

Jennifer Aniston has hinted that she would like to do a one-off Friends epsiode.

The actress, who starred as Rachel Green in the comedy from 1994 until 2004, made the comment as she revisited the sitcom's Central Perk coffee shop.

Speaking on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, she said that being on the set had brought back "amazing feelings", adding: "I would absolutely do the show, like one, it wouldn’t hurt."

However, the star dismissed speculation about a possible Friends movie, saying: "I just think what would they do? I think one of our Thanksgiving episodes were always so fun."

Aniston is currently starring alongside Ben Affleck in He's Just Not That Into You.

United States of Tara renewed for second season

Showtime's look at a woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder gets picked up for 12 more episodes.

Collette, Collette, Collette, and Collette.
Toni Collette was no doubt happy about today's news. So were Tara, Buck, Alice, and T. Showtime has renewed its original program The United States of Tara for a second season, reports Broadcasting & Cable. In its first year, Tara has performed well, with its premiere besting the cable net's other top performers.

The order puts the second season at a dozen episodes, with production beginning this summer in hopes of an early 2010 premiere. The first season debuted last month on January 18.

The United States of Tara stars Collette as Tara, a woman living with Dissociative Identity Disorder. The show is the perfect stage for Collette to show off her acting chops, as it allows her to play neutral Tara and her three alter egos: Buck the macho trucker, T the teenaged floozy, and Alice the perfect homemaker.

The drama has plenty of big names behind it; Steven Spielberg is signed on as a producer and Oscar-winner Diablo Cody (Juno) is one of the writers.

Are you excited the show will be back?

KYLE XY

I saw somewhere that this is Kyle XY's last season.  Season 3 will wrap things up at in March and that will be it.  Did anyone see anything else about the fate of the show.

Kym Marsh loses baby

CORRIE'S Kym Marsh is heartbroken after losing the baby she was expecting with her Hollyoaks boyfriend Jamie Lomas.
The 32-year-old was rushed into hospital on Monday afternoon and medics spent three days battling to save her tot.

But Archie Jay Lomas was born 18 weeks prematurely last night in hospital and he passed away a few seconds later.

Last night Kym, who plays Michelle Connor, said: “Archie is our beautiful angel and we will miss him so much. Thank you all for your support.”

Kym was treated at Trafford General Hospital, Manchester, with Jamie at her side.

A source from the soap said: "It was touch and go for several days. This is devastating news."

The couple, who got together after Kym split with husband Jack Ryder after five year last March, were thrilled when they announced they were expecting a baby in December.

Kym had been working on the soap during her pregnancy and was due to take maternity leave in the summer.

The former Hear'Say singer has two children, David and Emily, from a previous relationship with Dave Cunliffe.

Bell: 'I would do Veronica Mars movie'

Kristen Bell has revealed that she is "really excited" about the proposed movie adaptation of Veronica Mars.

The actress, who recently appeared in Heroes, starred in the show as a student who moonlights as a private investigator from 2004 until 2007.

"I'm really excited about the prospect of a Veronica Mars movie because we've been talking about it for so long," she told Fandango.

"If they write it, I'll do it. Absolutely."

Earlier this week, Mars creator Rob Thomas announced that a film is "close" to being completed and he hopes to pitch the idea to studios soon.

THE JONAS BROTHERS' 'LATE NIGHT'

Nick, Kevin, and Joe Jonas sat down with David Letterman Thursday night and the boys dished on the early days before they formed the band, life on the road, and past romantic relationships!
Sixteen-year-old Nick explains that he got his start in music singing in a hair salon.
"Mom was getting her hair done, and I started singing," Nick says. "Someone heard me singing and said, 'you should go see this manager.' I saw the manager, and they started sending me out on auditions for Broadway shows."
When asked if he remembered this early stage of his life Nick said; "I do, because I would get paid every time I sang at the hair salon!"
Nick's older brothers Joe and Kevin confess that Nick is actually somewhat of a leader in the group.
"He's actually like the most leader type," Kevin says. "We say he's going to be the president in 2038. We're taking votes now if you just want to put your ballots in the back!"
Letterman made sure to ask the boys about their love lives and specifically celebrity relationships, asking Joe Jonas: "Taylor Swift... does that ring a bell here?"
Joe looked away and then replied: "You know, uh, we didn't work out."
The boys were in good spirits and were playful with Letterman-- and before leaving they read their own top ten list joking at number six that; "we have no idea who that old dude behind the desk is!"

Jimmy Fallon says he's done with acting

Jimmy Fallon, whose film career post Saturday Night Live has yielded lukewarm results like Fever Pitch and the Queen Latifah action comedy Taxi , tells EW that aside from a small role in Drew Barrymore's directorial debut Whip It! (produced by Fallon's wife, Nancy Juvonen), he's done with acting for now. So don't expect the former SNL player and future Late Night talk show host to be turning up on the big screen anytime soon (not that there are many Fallon fans hankering for a Taxi sequel). Then again, he cautions, he could be swayed to return to acting if a certain Family Ties alum is willing to costar. "Maybe a movie of the week," jokes Fallon, who starts his new NBC hosting gig on March 2. "See if Meredith Baxter is available. I could really be into that."

Jonas Bros desperate to work with Baldwin

The Jonas Brothers have apparently said that they will do 'whatever it takes' to act alongside Alec Baldwin.

The trio are scheduled to appear on Saturday Night Live along with the 30 Rock star, who is serving as a guest host.

WENN reports that the brothers are huge fans of Baldwin's show and want to take part in a comedy skit with him.

16-year-old Joe said: "He's so hilarious on 30 Rock. It would be really cool if we could do that with him. He's the best."

Nick, 19, added: "We met him at the Golden Globes and he was really awesome. We're just so excited. We're up for whatever."

Thread