39 12
Thread
Printable Version

Life On Mars Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Life On Mars Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I started watching this the other day and I'm extremely impressed. I've never seen the UK version, so I can't compare, but I really like the show. Plus I might just have a little crush on Jason O'Mara and to think he lived about 30 minutes from me, haha !!

Anyone know where the idea for the original UK show came from? It reminds me a lot of Goodnight Sweetheart. Another BBC show which is about a man (Nicholas Lyndhurst) who can travel between modern day London (then the 90's) to WWII and back.

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 3-5-2015 18:37 ]

Episode 1 and 2

So we get introduced to Sam in episode one. He's a cop in New York, 2008. On the job he gets hit with a car and wakes up in 1973.

What I find funny about this is Sam's reaction to police procedures during that time. He's amazed at their tactics and they think he's a loony !!.

I think Harvey Keitel is great as Hunt. He really embodies that era very well.

By Episode 2, Sam has already made his mark on the precinct. I can imagine as time progresses that they will start to see he is a really good cop and accept him more. I also think he's going to encourage Annie to become more active as a Police Woman.

*edit* - Actually I meant to say that I loved when Sam comes to in 1973 and one of the first things he sees is the twin towers and he says "No way" !! Great.

And I love the way you are getting hints of what is happening in 2008. At one point you can hear them reviving him, during episode one.

All in all I think I'm going to really like this show. I'm glad I checked it out.

[ Last edited by shinny at 12-9-2008 11:33 ]

Episode 3

It's so funny when Sam uses a more modern day phrase and the rest of them look at him funny. When he asked if the Veteran had been for councelling after the war, the look Ray gave him was hilarious.

And then he told Annie that women have great Gaydar she was like, what?? Funny.

Just as I thought, Sam is encouraging Annie which is nice, but why was he so bothered that Annie would see Windy in his room???? Interesting.....

Then Sam sees himself as a boy at the end. Where's this going to lead....?

[ Last edited by shinny at 12-9-2008 12:27 ]

Episode 5

This was an interesting one because you thought that Sam had died in the future, but it was someone else, the someone he'd prayed to say goodbye to years before. This was the first time that we met someone who knew what was going on, but they told us nothing. Still, at least it shows us that there is some sort of plan for Sam being there.

Episode 7

So, this is the last episode until the New Year. No too long to wait, Jan 28th.

Sam finally gets to meet his father and by giving him the benefit of the doubt, nearly gets himself killed.

I liked the scene at the end with Annie, when Sam told her he didn't hate everything about 1973. Cute !

episode 1

was that stockard channing in the alka seltzer commercial?!

great soundtrack, just like cold case. that must be some great job but they have a real knack for picking pieces that really accent the moment. just think, a lot of old stuff is unlistenable and the intra-extra diagetical shift of music is very interesting!

well, the husband's been trying to get me to watch this since it came up on the site. i guess i know what we'll be doing this weekend!

"wow, my mom used to take me here. i bought my first hall & oats alb... ah, (an octave lower) my first led zeppelin album here!" bwahahahahhaha!

we're racing to the finish!
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

I liked this show, had to watch it when I saw the title because I like the song
I would love to see the original though. What are those things called he had in the car stereo in 1973,
is that a type of cassette? Ipod generation...

racing to the finish! You sure keep us busy, Tina!

Again this was a first for me, I have not seen either the uk or us one, but i loved this episode and i think i am going to have to keep watching it now, I loved what happened in this episode as I would not of seen some of the things that happened. So overall a very good episode and enjoyable to watch

Racing to the Finish

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 1-21-2009 03:01 ]

Episode 1

I watched this when it originally aired i have also seen the UK version and spin off Ashes to Ashes but what a blast from the past with the eight track tape player

Racing to the Finish

[ Last edited by codebreaker at 1-21-2009 01:49 ]

Reply 7#7 Mnemosyne's post

I haven't seen it, but I imagine they were 8-track tapes.  I'm from the crossover from LP to cassette generation.   
Remember to KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

didnt like it as much as the original.

racing to the finish!
hard work never killed anyone... but why take the risk.

Reply 10#10 waterlilybarb's post

I  had LPs and cassettes as well as a child, so I'm actually a bit too old to refer to myself as ipod generation

Reply 12#12 Mnemosyne's post

Same here. I'm also a LP and cassette generation. Actually, I don't even have an Ipod

Episode 1

I really liked the first episode of Life on Mars, although I haven't seen the original. I saw the first and the second episode a while back, and plan on continue watching.
I liked the story and the different characters   
Has it really changed that much for women since the 70's?

Racing to the Finish!

[ Last edited by serena75 at 1-22-2009 00:21 ]

Quote:
Originally posted by serena75 at 1-21-2009 23:18  
Has it really changed that much for women since the 70's?
sing it, sister!  it is truly inspiring to see how far strong women who have blazed paths in their fields have brought us, but when you see women who still feel that they will be stigmatized for using their brains you realize that there remains a long way to go!

never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has -- margaret meade
...the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me

Episode 1 Discussion

Racing to the Finish!

This was a nice introductory episode for the season. It shows how lost Sam is and how determined he is to try and get back to his own time.  It was nice to see Lisa Bonet again as well. I hope she has more screen time in the next episodes. Anyway, I like the old school settings and it is also interesting to see Sam trying to conceal all that he knows as far as police work to some extent so as not to seem loopy but I am sure it would be very hard for me to not just tell everyone what I know. I would definitely be kicking myself for not saving lottery results from past years. lol  

Oh well, I`m outta here. Cheers all and see you all at the finish line.....I`ll save you all a seat!! lol jk

Reply 15#15 sddvasquez's post

I'm singing! I was reading about the first woman running for president in the US yesterday, and I'm happy that we've come this far even though we still have a long way to go. I really admire those strong women, and I wish I was more like them.

this is a nice show.i might check the other eps out wen im finnished with 24

Racing to the finnish

Racing to the finish

I watched this show when it was on TV. This eps was nice and the premise of the show is cool but I had a hard time seeing how it could go on and on and on.

sorry to say but i was un-impressed.  i had looked the show over before but didn't have the want to actually watch an episode but thanks to the AR i've now watched episode 1 but i don't think i'll be coming back for more.  It just didn't grab me like i like my cop shows to.  The actors are good actors but i hardly ever like the kind of character that harvey is playing.  

i think i would have liked it better if he had woken up at the end of the episode - but i guess that would make it to much like jouneyman.

racing to the finish

"Don't warn the tadpoles!"
"Don't warn the tadpoles?"
"I... I have frog fear." -- Willow

39 12
Thread