39 12
Thread
Printable Version

Life On Mars Season 1 General Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Racing to the finish

wow. interesting show. I think I will be watching this regularly. It is so cool to see America back in the day. They even got the clothes and everything right. Plus the story of Sam and his pursuit of the serial killer is really thrilling. I felt bad for the little boy when Sam was about to shoot him. Will be interesting to see how that little boy gets so evil in the future.  Very nice show.

Well the show started out okay.  But I lived through the 70's once and that was enough for me.

Racing to the finish
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."  Adam Savage

Episode 1

First, let me say that I have never seen the original British series. That being said, I really dug "Life on Mars," and I think it has some legs if ABC sticks with it. Life on Mars was very good, a solid start. I found that I liked all the new actors, and the story was close enough to the original that I felt I was watching a set of near-identical twins performing the same roles I had already loved once before. It was a little different, but not entirely unfamiliar. Harvey Keitel as Gene Hunt is brilliant casting, I waited patiently for a real GH line and he delivered with "the year of the Fist" classic! Not bad at all, I will be giving it a chance!

Episode 2

The story, although similar to the UK version, manages to find its own hilarity - speedo guy, Nixon administration, Matrix illusions, lasagnes with herbs, mistaken cop identities - all of which made the episode very enjoyable to watch. New ways for Sam to keep in contact with 2008 - robot, naked hippies, broken glass, door reflections.... All good. Also, big plus on the fantastic sets and backdrops of old New York. I look forward to seeing the the next episode of a great tv show in the making in my opinion.

Episode 3

This was a really good episode, I loved this quote that was said. Windy: Book 'em Danno. Do you ever say that? Book 'em Danno. Sam: I would if I worked with a guy named Danno. Windy: You should hire one. How cool would that be? That had me cracking up, The whole storyline I thought was a bit risky but it actually turned out very well, I really did not think the commanding officer would of been the killer that was one bit surprise for me, I think Sam was great with the kid, and him and Annie work really well together, The other part I found even funnier was when Chris had to act gay and then started to get beaten up, overall a very good episode which was funny to watch at times.

Episode 4

This was another brilliant episode, I loved how Sam said his name was Luke Skywalker, that was just funny as hell, It was nice to see Sam say no to the kick back but what I really liked was Sam seeing things because of LSD. The stuff he saw and the way he was when he woke up was so funny and another thing that I just could not stop laughing, I think all the cast work really well together and this show can go somewhere if it is given a chance, Sam and Annie again have great scenes like they have in previous episodes but the best scenes were between Sam and Lt. Gene Hunt those two just crack me up when they go up against each other like I think back in episode 2 when they started fighting in the hospital.

Episode 5

This episode is back in line with the original design of the show and the initial episodes. There was actually a bit of a case to work out so that was fun. The episdoe has a good balance of casework and Sam wondering were he is and what he needs to do to get home. I love Fletcher Bellow and hope that his character gets to make another guest appearance. It was good to see Sam having some fun for a change. The writers totally got me with the twist at the end of the show, which shows how much I've bought into the bad cop image of the rest of the squad. so overall a very good episode to watch.

Episode 6

This was another strong episode of Life on Mars. It managed to balance the cop aspect of the show with the why is Sam in 1973 aspect of the show. The two aspects also neatly tied together, which is one of the reason I watch the show. The show also ends with the possibility that Sam may try to embrace his 1973 life and actually live a little, instead of dwelling on his future/past. This could effect all aspects of his life. His interaction with the precinct guys and maybe even a love life. I do not think the love life thing is going to pan out anytime soon, but it is good to see that the other guys are thinking of Sam as one of them. Crazy, but their Crazy guy. Overall, a really strong episode that ties in all the aspects of the show that I enjoy.

Episode 7

So, this review might give the episode way a bit and have a few spoilers, so if you've not seen the show you might not want to continue. This episode is absolutely pivotal to the show. We learn that Sam's Dad is not just gray but out and out bad. This show is very why is Sam in 1973 heavy, but its done very well in this episode as we actually work at the mystery rather than musing on it. For all these reasons this is a really good episode. The ending is really creepy however. What could be in the basement? Hopefully not Sam's mangled father, as I think it is bad enough being shot by your father without having to find his dead body. A really great episode of a great show

Episode 8

This was a great episode of Life on Mars. A really strong opening show after the hiatus for people who watch the show. I know a lot of people are afraid to start watching at this point because they think they have missed too much, but you haven't start watching the show! The characters are really developing nicely. It is also good to see same trying to embrace his situation, even if that always gets him in trouble in the ends. The show really used the other actors more this episode which I appreciated. I look forward to how the show will continue to develop. If this episode was any indication it will be a round for awhile.

Reply 26#26 spratt89's post

It was great finding out more about Sam's mother.
I haven't seen the movie Sleeper, but I googled it and found out that it's about a man who lived in 1973, but is cryogenically frozen without his consent, and not revived for 200 years. I thought that was funny.
Luke Skywalker

Reply 30#30 spratt89's post

Did you know that episodes 8 and 9 are in the wrong order? What happens in episode 7 continues in episode 9. At least on the EU server. Maybe they're in the right order on the US server.
I think episodes 7 and 9 are the best ones so far.

Episode 14 Coffee, Tea or Annie

Good episode with a hint of Swingtown but the one time Sam talks about something Annie should of known she was a bit vague because the song I Think I Love You came out in 1970

what is Annie's connection to why he is there. And why have them fall in love if he will go back home.
Annie is suppose to be dead and now she graced the cover of a favorite magazine he had as a kid.

Episode 17 Life is a Rock

I thought the opening lines between Wendy and Sam was funny and with Sam finishing of with Wendy this is not how i prefer to start my day discussing the spices of feces and overall i think the best episode

wow what an ending! I did not see that coming, I guessed it might be a dream, like the wizard of OZ but never imagined that. In the interview posted earlier it said fans will want to watch it again for all the clues including some of the things said left in every episode.

Very cool it was like watching the sixth sense again for the 1st time!

Reply 36#36 gabsimom's post

I always thought Ray called Sam spaceman because of him saying he was from the future but now it makes more sense

Reply 36#36 gabsimom's post

Yes, what an ending! I never would've guessed it. Maybe I'll watch all episodes again sometime.
It's sad... this show should've continued for at least one more season.

codebreaker, that was exactly what I was thinking.

I finally managed to watch all of the last 4 episodes. What a brilliant ending. I did not see that coming either, lol !! It wraps everything up nicely but also leaves it open for your imagination to continue it on.

I'm really going to miss this show. I think it was cancelled prematurely, but I'm glad they got to give it a proper finish as it would have been terrible for to be left hanging.

39 12
Thread