Thread
Printable Version

Movie News

'Twilight' star to discover sequel fate

Twilight star Taylor Lautner will find out this week if he will keep his role in the hit movie's forthcoming sequel.

The 16-year-old played Jacob Black in the first instalment of the vampire franchise, but executives at Summit Entertainment are reportedly split over whether he can carry off the physical requirements of the character in New Moon.

Screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg told Entertainment Weekly that while Jacob appeared as a supporting character in Twilight, his role in New Moon is vastly expanded.

"Jacob is a totally different character in New Moon. He's a foot taller and huge - and he's supposed to look 25. It's really a question of whether or not the same actor can play the role," she said, adding that "everyone would love to keep him. We all think he's the loveliest person ever".

Last month, Lautner denied that he had been dropped from the movie, telling MTV that he has been hitting the gym in a bid to achieve the necessary physique.

Craig laughs off Gallagher role

Daniel Craig has joked that Noel Gallagher is "full of s**t" after he asked the Bond star to play him in a movie of his life.

The Oasis guitarist is said to have chosen Craig as the most suitable person to depict his story.

"Noel Gallagher wants me to play him in a movie about his life. He's full of s**t - that is ridiculous, he must have been in a very good mood to say that," said Craig at a screening of new movie Defiance.

"I'm way older than him anyway so I couldn't play him, but I love the idea - it's fantastic. I can play the guitar better than him."

The actor added: "I haven't had a call from Liam yet so I'll wait for that one."

Defiance hits UK cinemas on January 9.

Megatron not in 'Transformers 2'

Michael Bay has revealed that villain Megatron will not be a part of Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen.

The director denied that the character makes an appearance in the movie sequel, due out this summer, insisting that a recent toy of the Decepticon is not related to the film.

"He's not in this movie. That's not misinformation. The tank design you may have seen is just Hasbro coming up with a new toy," he told Empire.

Instead, new villain The Fallen will oppose the Autobots in the summer blockbuster, while new Decepticon Devastator will appear in the Pyramid sequence.

"Imagine six or seven or eight massive earth-moving vehicles, with tires as big as [a] tree. It's going to be gigantic," Bay said of the latter.

Westwood wants to pen 'SATC' sequel

Dame Vivienne Westwood has reportedly offered to write the sequel to Sex And The City: The Movie.

The British fashion designer wrote to the show's producers and volunteered to pen a script for the forthcoming film, according to The Telegraph.

"We haven't had any news about it yet," said a representative for Westwood. "So we don't know what's happening."

Westwood, who designed the wedding dress which Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) wore in the movie, publicly criticised stylist Patricia Fields on its release last year.

"I thought Sex And The City was supposed to be about cutting-edge fashion," she said. "There was nothing remotely memorable or interesting about what I saw. I went to the premiere and left after ten minutes."

Rourke recalls brutal 'Wrestler' training

Mickey Rourke has revealed the tough training routine he underwent while preparing for his role in The Wrestler.

The 52-year-old said that he endured a regime of bodybuilding and a strict diet to play Randy 'The Ram' Robinson.

"It was physically brutal. I had to do seven and a half months of extensive weightlifting, and eating six or seven meals a day, to put on 27 pounds of muscle," he told The Sun.

"That's not a lot of time, so I had this ex-soldier who was very strict with me about my training regime and my diet. This guy took it personally if I didn't show up.

"I was staying in a hotel and I had a late night and I wasn't answering a phone call from him and he actually came up to the room and I tried to get up in a little ball and put the covers over me in hopes that he would go away. The jerk went down and got the key."

Rourke added: "He got paid well, but it wasn't that with him. It was the principle and I really respected him. Then there was four and a half months of wrestling training. By the time the movie started I thought it was over!"

Pegg, Frost confirmed for 'Tintin'

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have reportedly signed up to play the Thompson Twins in the new Tintin movie.

According to Ain't It Cool News, the Hot Fuzz stars will team up with Andy Serkis, who will wear a performance capture suit for his role as Captain Haddock.

The lead role in the film has yet to be cast after Thomas Sangster dropped out.

It was reported in November that the proposed trilogy of movies based on Tintin will be co-financed by Sony and Paramount after Universal opted out.

Winslet reveals accent weakness

Kate Winslet has revealed her weakness when it comes to imitating certain accents from around the UK.

The 33-year-old actress, who plays German Auschwitz guard Hanna Schmitz in new film The Reader, confessed that she struggles to impersonate people from Birmingham and Scotland.

"No, absolutely cannot. I absolutely can't. I can't do Brummie. I really can't do Scottish," she said.

Winslet stars alongside 18-year-old David Kross in the movie and admitted that she took the lead in a nude scene with him. "Having been in that position myself when I was younger and being absolutely terrified I was able to share that experience with him," she said.

"[I said]: 'Look, there are only going to be three people in the room, please don't worry, I promise you we'll be laughing about this.'"

Caruso to helm 'Jack The Giant Killer'

D.J. Caruso has signed up to direct an adult reinvention of the Jack And The Beanstalk tale.

Jack The Giant Killer centres on a young farmer who sets out on a dangerous mission to the giant kingdom to rescue a kidnapped princess, according to Variety.

Caruso, whose last film was Eagle Eye, will direct from a script by Darren Lemke and Mark Bomback. He has also steered Shia LaBeouf's Disturbia and Two For The Money.

Neal Moritz and Wedding Crashers helmer David Dobkin are serving as producers on Jack The Giant Killer.

Dark Knight' scoops People's Choice gongs

The Dark Knight swept the board at last night's 35th annual People's Choice Awards.

Christian Bale accepted the titles for Favourite Cast, Superhero, Action Movie and On-Screen Matchup at the Shrine Auditorium.

"On behalf of all of the cast from the movie, thank you very much to the fans," said Bale. "Here's to Heath [Ledger]."

Celebrities at the event, which was hosted by Queen Latifah, included Robin Williams, Hugh Laurie and Reese Witherspoon.

Other winners included WALL-E, which took home the best family movie title, and 27 Dresses, which was named Best Comedy.

People's Choice Award 2009 - The Winners

The full list of winners from the 35th annual People's Choice Awards:

Movie
The Dark Knight

Comedy
27 Dresses

Movie Drama
The Secret Life Of Bees

Family Movie
WALL-E

Independent Movie
The Secret Life Of Bees

Action Movie
The Dark Knight

Cast
The Dark Knight

On Screen Matchup
Christian Bale & Heath Ledger -The Dark Knight

Male Movie Star
Will Smith

Female Movie Star
Reese Witherspoon

Male Action Star
Will Smith

Female Action Star
Angelina Jolie

Leading Man
Brad Pitt

Leading Lady
Kate Hudson

Superhero
Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman

TV Drama
House

TV Comedy
Two And A Half Men

New TV Drama
The Mentalist

New TV Comedy
Gary Unmarried

Animated Comedy
The Simpsons

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Heroes

Reality Show
Dancing With The Stars

Game Show
Deal Or No Deal

Male TV Star
Hugh Laurie

Female TV Star
Christina Applegate

Scene Stealing Guest Star
Robin Williams - Law & Order: SVU

TV Drama Diva
Kyra Sedgwick

Funny Male Star
Adam Sandler

Funny Female Star
Tina Fey

DiCaprio to star in 'Beat The Reaper'

Leonardo DiCaprio is being lined up to star in Beat The Reaper, reports Variety.

The film, based on Josh Bazell's newly-released novel, tells the story of Peter Brown, a former hitman for the New Jersey mafia who was sent into the witness protection programme and now works as an ER doctor.

Brown's life is turned upside down when a mobster recognises him from his former life.

DiCaprio is reportedly being lined up to produce the New Regency project, alongside Bride Wars's Julie Yornand Jennifer Davisson Killoran.

Rourke, Rockwell for 'Iron Man 2'?

Mickey Rourke and Sam Rockwell are in talks to join the forthcoming Iron Man sequel, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The pair will reportedly play villains in the Jon Favreau-helmed project, due to begin shooting this spring.

Rourke, currently starring in The Wrestler, would portray a heavily-tattooed Russian arms dealer who battles Iron Man wearing a nuclear-powered suit of armour.

Frost/Nixon star Rockwell, who was an early candidate to play Iron Man, would take the role of multi-billionaire businessman Justin Hammer, a rival industrialist of Tony Stark, the hero's alter ego.

Justin Theroux has been hired to pen the script but Marvel bosses are keeping a tight lid on the storyline.

Original movie stars Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow are both expected to return but Don Cheadle will replace Terrence Howard in the role of Jim Rhodes.

Sorcerer's Apprentice' gets leading lady

Teresa Palmer will play the female lead in Disney's forthcoming The Sorcerer's Apprentice, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The Bedtime Stories actress will star opposite Nicolas Cage and Knocked Up's Jay Baruchel in the fantasy blockbuster, inspired by Fantasia.

The story, set in modern-day New York, centres on a young apprentice (Baruchel) who is left in charge of a magic workshop by his sorcerer master (Cage), but runs into trouble when a broomstick he enchants to do his chores develops a mind of its own.

Palmer, who previously dated Russell Brand, will play Baruchel's love interest.

National Treasure director John Turteltaub is helming the project, with Jerry Bruckheimer producing. Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal and Matt Lopez will pen the script.

Boyle rules out 'Dredd', Pratchett trilogy

Danny Boyle has confirmed that he has no plans to work on a new Judge Dredd movie or Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad trilogy.

The Slumdog Millionaire director admitted that he was previously attached to the big screen adaptation of Pratchett's fantasy novels, but claimed the project had since fallen through.

"It's fallen apart," he told Empire. "Frank Cotrell Boyce and I were going to do it for DreamWorks but sadly no longer. Sorry about that - wonderful novel[s]."

On the prospect of working on a new Judge Dredd film, Boyle said reports linking him to the 2000 AD sci-fi franchise were not accurate.

"Where has this come from?" he said. "Someone asked me about Judge Dredd the other day!

"I hated the last version of it; I can't imagine the next one will be any better."

HSM 3', Hilton lead Razzie contenders

High School Musical 3: Senior Year and Paris Hilton are leading the contenders for this year's Golden Raspberry Awards.

The Razzies, which 'honour' the worst films of the previous year, are traditionally awarded in Los Angeles the day before the Oscars.

High School Musical 3 is shortlisted for Worst Film, Worst Sequel, Worst Actor (Zac Efron), Worst Actress (Vanessa Hudgens) and Worst Screen Couple (every couple in the movie).

However, the movie faces competition from Hilton's The Hottie And The Nottie, which received nominations for Worst Film, Worst Actress (Hilton), Worst Screen Couple and Worst Director (Tom Putnam).

Disaster Movie, The Day The Earth Stood Still and The Love Guru were also shortlisted for Worst Film, while Tom Cruise (Valkyrie), Keanu Reeves (The Day The Earth Stood Still) and Mark Wahlberg (The Happening) could compete with Efron for Worst Actor.

Jessica Alba (The Love Guru), Jennifer Connelly (The Day The Earth Stood Still) and Eva Longoria-Parker (Over Her Dead Body) are among the contenders vying with Hudgens for Worst Actress.

The contenders will be whittled down before the winners are announced on February 21.

BAFTA Rising Star nominees announced

Three British actors are among the nominees for this year's Orange Rising Star Award at the BAFTAs.

Doctor Who's Noel Clarke, Frost/Nixon actress Rebecca Hall and RocknRolla star Toby Kebbell make up the British contingent.

Arrested Development's Michael Cera and Irish actor Michael Fassbender, who appeared in Steve McQueen's award-winning Hunger, complete the shortlist.

Previous winners of the title include Eva Green, James McAvoy and Shia LaBeouf.

LaBeouf, who announced the names earlier today, commented: "I was delighted to win the Orange Rising Star Award last year, especially as it is an award voted for by members of the British public.

"Since then I've had a really busy year working on a number of projects that I'm really proud of and 2009 looks like it's going to be just as hectic!"

A jury, which featured BAFTA producer and chair David Parfitt, casting director Fiona Weir, James McAvoy and Kelly Macdonald, selected the nominees from a long list of recommendations from BAFTA members.

The winner will be voted for by the public and announced at the BAFTA ceremony on Sunday, February 8.

Warner 'puts all DC movies on hold'

David Goyer has revealed that Warner Brothers have halted work on all upcoming movies based on DC Comics.

The Dark Knight co-writer confirmed that development on forthcoming features such as Supermax and Justice League has been stopped indefinitely.

"A lot of the DC movies at Warner Brothers are all on hold while they figure out, they're going to come up with some new plan, methodology, things like that so everything has just been pressed pause on at the moment," he told IESB.

Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and the sequel to 2006's Superman Returns have also been affected.

"It was the double header of both Iron Man and The Dark Knight coming out," he added. "I think DC was responsible for 15% of Warner Brother's revenue this year, something crazy like that, so they realised that comic books, it's become a new genre, one of the most successful genres."

Lautner confirmed for 'Twilight' sequel

Twilight star Taylor Lautner will return for the film's forthcoming sequel, it has been confirmed.

Lautner, who played Jacob Black in the first instalment, had been a doubt for New Moon after executives at Summit Entertainment were reportedly concerned that the 16-year-old might not be able to carry off the new physical requirements of the character.

However, New Moon director Chris Weitz has ended speculation of Lautner being replaced by revealing that the actor will definitely return for the highly-anticipated follow-up.

"It was my first instinct that Taylor was, is, and should be Jacob, and that the books would be best served by the actor who is emotionally right for the part," he said.

"I think that fans of Twilight the book and the movie will be surprised by the Jacob Black that Taylor will bring to the screen in New Moon; and I'm looking forward to working with him and the rest of the cast in realising the film."

Lautner recently revealed that he had been hitting the gym in a bid to bulk up for the movie, which is scheduled to start shooting early this year.

Stars turn out for 'Notorious' premiere

Beyoncé and Jay-Z were among stars to attend the world premiere of Notorious, a trubute movie to Christopher 'Biggie Smalls' Wallace.

The couple joined Sean 'Diddy' Combs on the red carpet in New York yesterday (Wednesday) to pay respect to the late rapper.

The biopic tells the story of Wallace's life from his humble New York beginnings up until his assassination in 1997.

Diddy, who attended the screening with the late star's mother Voletta, praised the movie's message.

"It's a great day for my man Biggie," he said. "People finally get to meet Christopher Wallace when they see the movie. This movie makes you dance, it makes you laugh, it makes you cry and it makes you respect life and appreciate what you have in front of you."

Notorious is released in the UK on February 13.

Lohan: I would love Johansson roles

Lindsay Lohan has claimed that she deserves the same career opportunities as actresses like Scarlett Johansson.

The Mean Girls star insisted that she worked just as hard as her contemporaries but claimed that people found it hard to separate her media persona from her professional side.

"What hurts me the most is that I work just as hard as any other actress around my age, like Scarlett Johansson, but I just don't get the opportunities that they get," she told Interview.

"People are so distracted by the mess that I created in my life. But that doesn't mean it's going to last forever."

Thread