Thread
Printable Version

Movie News

Cruise unfazed by 'Valkyrie' controversy

Tom Cruise has revealed that he was unfazed about signing up for WWII epic Valkyrie, insisting that he knew the movie would be controversial.

The 46-year-old stars as Colonel Count Claus Von Stauffenberg, the man who led the 1944 plot to assassinate Hitler using a bomb concealed in a briefcase.

"I knew it would be controversial. We’ve never seen this perspective before. But I couldn’t ignore it because the story is so compelling," he told the Mail On Sunday.

"It’s about trying to bring down the greatest evil in the world from the inside. That makes for a fantastic thriller."

The actor insisted that he was prepared for the criticism that the movie courted, including objection from the German government over his Scientology religion, because he has faced controversy throughout his entire career.

"I’ve done controversial films before. With Rain Man they were hanging Dustin Hoffman and me out to dry. With Interview With The Vampire [author] Anne Rice took out a full-page ad against me taking the part.

"When I did Eyes Wide Shut with Kubrick it was controversial. There have always been these things. But I like challenging roles."

Valkyrie opens in the UK on January 23.

Vanessa Hudgens auditions for 'New Moon'

Vanessa Hudgens has auditioned for a role in Twilight sequel New Moon.

The High School Musical 3 star has allegedly read for the part of werewolf Leah Clearwater in the Chris Weitz-directed film.

Ashley Greene, who appeared as Alice Cullen in the first Twilight movie, told MTV of Hudgens's potential casting: "I think she'd be great [as Leah]."

Speaking about the progress of New Moon's script, Greene added: "I hear they're doing another rewrite. I'm with you guys - I'm so excited to read it."

Reply 100#100 spratt89's post

sin city is maybe my fav movie ever.i will watch this whe it comes ut

Duff to star in 'Bonnie And Clyde'?

Hilary Duff will star in a forthcoming film about gangster couple Bonnie and Clyde, according to Production Week.

The Story Of Bonnie And Clyde will focus on the true story of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, who were infamous criminals during the Great Depression.

The former Lizzie McGuire star will reportedly take on the role of Bonnie, with Tonya S. Holly directing.

It's A Boy/Girl Thing star Kevin Zegers, Sling Blade's Natalie Canerday and Frost/Nixon actor Rance Howard will co-star.

Production is scheduled to begin in April.

The gangsters were originally immortalised in the Oscar-winning 1967 film Bonnie And Clyde, which starred Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway.

Aaron Eckhart hints at 'Batman' return

Aaron Eckhart has hinted that he may make a surprise return for the next Batman movie.

Eckhart's character, a District Attorney who becomes the villain Two-Face, was assumed to be dead at the close of The Dark Knight.

The 40-year-old had earlier insisted that his character would not be back for Christopher Nolan's proposed superhero sequel, but he has since discussed the circumstances in which Two-Face may make an appearance in the next instalment.

He told MTV: "I think Harvey - if he's not dead - is in a serious coma and I'm not sure he's coming out. They might pull the plug on him."

Slumdog, Dark Knight Earn Their Chops

Slumdog Millionaire and The Dark Knight made the cut.
The newly minted Golden Globe winner and the hugely popular Batflick continue their march toward an Oscar showdown, picking up nominations today for the Eddie Awards. The key Academy Award predictor honors the best in editing and is presented by the Society of American Cinema Editors.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon and Milk round out the field for the top dramatic prize at the group's 59th annual awards. The comedy slate consists of another Globe Best Picture winner, Vicky Cristina Barcelon, along with Tropic Thunder, WALL-E, Mamma Mia! and In Bruges.
On the tube side, 30 Rock continues its quest for world domination, facing off against Entourage and The Office in the half-hour category, while. Law & Order: SVU, Boston Legal and Breaking Bad are the contenders in the hourlong race. The full list of nominees is online at http://www.ace-filmeditors.org/newace/eddieNominees.html
The Eddie Awards will be handed out Feb. 15.

[ Last edited by spratt89 at 1-12-2009 21:57 ]

Elfman signs for 'Terminator Salvation'

Danny Elfman has revealed that he will provide the music for McG's upcoming blockbuster sequel Terminator Salvation.

Elfman, the composer for Batman, Spider-Man and Men In Black, said that he may incorporate Brad Fiedel's original theme into his score.

"I think if it comes up and it seems appropriate, we will [use it]," he told MTV. "And if it doesn't, we [won't]. I never really know what to expect when I begin other than just kind of get into it and have fun. Especially a movie like T4 - just have fun. So that's what I intend to do."

Terminator Salvation, starring Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Bryce Dallas Howard and Common, is released in UK cinemas on June 5.

Fraser joins Harrison Ford's 'Crowley'

Brendan Fraser will play the title role in Harrison Ford drama Crowley, according to Production Weekly.

Based on a true story, the film will focus on John and Aileen Crowley, whose two children suffered from a fatal neuromuscular disorder. Instead of giving up hope, John discovered a maverick scientist, Robert Stonehill (Ford), with a potential cure for the disease.

Tom Vaughan is attached to direct Crowley for CBS, with Ford serving as executive producer.

Robert Nelson Jacobs adapted the script from Geeta Anand's book The Cure, which she expanded from her Wall Street Journal profile of Stonehill.

Ledger, Phoenix warned DiCaprio off drugs

Leonardo DiCaprio has admitted that the tragic deaths of Hollywood actors Heath Ledger and River Phoenix scared him off drugs.

The 34-year-old claimed that the "horrifying" death of Phoenix in 1993 from an overdose convinced him not to partake in substance abuse.

WENN quotes him as saying: "When I was a young actor, I saw other actors die of drugs. I watched what happened to River Phoenix, who was such an influence on me as a young actor.

"Now Heath Ledger has died young. It is such a horrifying thought to know that those guys aren't around anymore. Every person has demons. We all have horrible fears and insecurities that we need to overcome."

DiCaprio added that growing up in a Los Angeles suburb plagued with drugs and prostitution made him view narcotics as "evil".

"I knew drugs were bad, even as a little kid," he said. "Seeing the effects that drugs had on my block, seeing heroin addicts, it made me think twice about ever getting involved in drugs.

"I was so horrified by what I saw drugs do to people that I never wanted anything to do with them. It's evil. Once you take that step and experiment, drugs take over your life. You are not yourself anymore. That's something I never wanted."

Campbell, Cox return for 'Scream 4'?

Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox Arquette and David Arquette are reportedly considering reprising their roles in the forthcoming Scream 4.

According to Bloody Disgusting, the original Scream stars have been approached with financial offers to make a cameo appearance in the horror sequel.

Campbell starred as protagonist Sidney Prescott in the original trilogy, while Cox Arquette played ambitious reporter Gale Weathers and Arquette starred as police officer Dewey Riley.

The fourth film in Wes Craven's Scream franchise was announced by the Weinstein Company last July. However, it will likely focus on a set of new, younger characters, with the original cast members only making a brief appearance.

Scream and Scream 2 writer Kevin Williamson has reportedly begun writing a draft screenplay, while Craven is still in negotiations to return as director.

Last year, Jamie Kennedy, who played movie buff Randy Meeks, hinted to iFMagazine that he could reprise his role for the fourth instalment.

Brewer to develop 'Mother Trucker'

Craig Brewer has signed a deal to write and direct forthcoming film Mother Trucker.

The Hustle & Flow writer-director will develop the project, based on a Maxim article, for New Regency.

The Steven Russell-penned action comedy will follow a man who escapes from jail, steals a truck and drives across the US to see his dying mother while being trailed by police.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the movie will feel like an updated version of Smokey And The Bandit.

Maxim and Peter Jaysen of Moving Pictures AMG will produce, while Las Vegas's Gary Scott Thompson will executive produce.

No production dates or casting announcements have been made yet.

Carrey's 'Yes Man' retains Aussie No.1

Jim Carrey's Yes Man has spent a second week at number one at the Australian box office.

The slapstick comedy beats off competition from Will Smith's new drama Seven Pounds, which debuts at two.

Elsewhere, animated canine adventure Bolt climbs to third, while Jennifer Aniston's Marley & Me moves up to fourth.

Golden Globe winner Slumdog Millionaire retains tenth place.

The top ten in full:

1. (1) Yes Man - $2,966,066
2. (-) Seven Pounds - $2,029,925
3. (4) Bolt - $1,885,138
4. (5) Marley & Me - $1,758,218
5. (3) Bedtime Stories - 1,717,766
6. (2) The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button - $1,688,233
7. (7) Australia - $1,290,497
8. (6) Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa - $1,261,521
9. (9) Twilight - $942,340
10. (10) Slumdog Millionaire - $636,328

Chandrasekhar helming 'Opposites Attract'

Jay Chandrasekhar will direct body swap comedy Opposites Attract, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

The movie will revolve around a young couple who trade places to discover what it's like living as the opposite sex. The comedy will reportedly involve more adult-themed comedy than earlier genre entries.

Chandrasekhar, a member of Broken Lizard, has previously helmed Super Troopers and Beerfest for the comedy troupe.

Opposites Attract, like Chandrasekhar's big screen version of The Dukes Of Hazzard, is not a Broken Lizard production.

Arnold Will Be Back? Our Terminator Salvation Spoilerfest

It's a safe bet Arnold Schwarzenegger hasn't said hasta la vista to Hollywood yet.
While McG refused to confirm the news at a press gaggle in New York Monday to hype his upcoming Terminator Salvation, the helmer all but invited speculation that the Governator will be back for one more go-round as the titular cyborg. At least in cameo form.
Asked by producer Dan Lin about what surprises are in store for moviegoers, McG said with a wink and a nod: "I can't talk about it. I can't talk about the governor of California."
(WARNING: Potential spoilers ahead!)
Since winning 2003's recall election, Schwarzenegger has spent more time busting budgets than heads. His last official feature film appearance came in 2004's Around the World in 80 Days opposite Jackie Chan, and his last appearance as the T-800 in 2003's Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.
Terminator Salvation stars Christian Bale as the all-grown-up John Connor, leading the human resistance against Skynet and its cyborg army.
Seeking to get media types psyched about his sequel (and assuage fan fears that his movie wouldn't live up to James Cameron's classics), McG offered a sneak peek of some key scenes in what he hopes is the launchpad for a second Terminator trilogy.
Here's some of the intelligence we gathered at yesterday's event
• McG powwowed with the King of the World, who offfered tips on staying true to the mythology and characters Cameron created back in 1984: "He sort of nodded and said, 'Look I reserve the right to like it or not like it.'. . .I said 'fair enough. . .I want the film to speak for itself at all times.' He nodded and we shook hands." McG is set to show Cameron a rough cut in two weeks.

20th Century Fox
• On getting Bale aboard: McG visited the actor on The Dark Knight set and Bale told him, "If you can get to the script to a place where we can just read it on the stage and it would be compelling beyond all the noise and the riffraff, then we would have something to talk about." McG subsequently hired Dark Knight scribe Jonathan Nolan to tweak the script with the star in mind.
• Audiences can expect to see new faces like Anton Yelchin (playing Kyle Reese, aka John Connor's right-hand man...and father), Aussie newcomer Sam Worthington (also starring in Cameron's upcoming 3-D sci-fi epic Avatar) and Moon Bloodgood, alongside Bale, Common, Bryce Dallas Howard, Helena Bonham Carter and sci-fi vet Michael Ironside as the original leader of the resistance.
• Fanboys will get a good glimpse of the deadly T-800 model, which plays a major part of the film's story as humans are being captured and studied by Skynet to test a better, more efficient and covert Terminator.
• One of Salvation's biggest set pieces features a giant Terminator, dubbed the Harvester, that attacks a group of survivors and unleashes a pair of deadly robot motorcycle assassins.
• Another particularly intense action scene sees Connor and Worthington battle a couple of nasty Skynet waterbugs while hovering in a helicopter over a pond at night.
• Last but not least, veteran composer Danny Elfman (Batman, The Simpsons) has written a score that McG describes as "Wagner by way of John Williams."
Terminator Salvation hits theaters May 15.

Mitchell joins 'Crazies' remake

Radha Mitchell has been added to the cast of Breck Eisner's remake of The Crazies.

Hitman's Tim Olyphant was confirmed for the role of the town sheriff in November. Mitchell is expected to play his wife, reports Shock Till You Drop.

George Romero's original movie was released in 1973. Eisner's film will follow a similar story, with Olyphant's sheriff investigating the fallout when a biological weapon, which contaminates the water supply, starts sending locals crazy.

Mitchell's credits include Australian soap Neighbours, Vin Diesel's Pitch Black and horror Silent Hill.

McG, Bay clash over robot blockbusters

McG has hit out at director Michael Bay for criticising his upcoming blockbuster Terminator Salvation.

Bay, whose Transformers sequel will be a box office opponent to McG's Terminator revival this summer, suggested that the filmmaker is copying him.

Writing on his official site, Bay noted the similarities between the new Terminator movie, which featured a giant robot in its latest trailer, and Transformers 2: Revenge Of The Fallen.

"We've seen the great year end movies, and watched the upcoming clips of the upcoming summer fare," wrote Bay. "We've seen certain movies coming out even try to duplicate Transformer size robots in their ads. Please, come on."

McG admitted that Bay's comments had annoyed him, telling Comcast: "It bothers me, to tell you the truth. Ultimately, our large robots have nothing to do with the Transformers robots. I say with respect, giant robots have been the theme of film for a real long time. So we want to do everything we can to create separation."

Witherspoon 'doesn't worry' about box office

Reese Witherspoon has revealed that she tries not to think about box office figures, insisting that it only leads to "self hatred".

The Four Christmases star admitted that, although she has been in some unsuccessful movies, she tries not to let it upset her.

"It's not the first thing I'm thinking about. It's usually not the first thing on my mind," she told Collider.

"Usually people are trying to reach me and I think if you really base how you feel on all those things, it's just a slippery slope of destruction; spiraling self-hatred.

"If my entire self-worth was based on how well the movies did, I'd just be miserable. I've had movies that did great. I've had movies that did awful."

Fox, Warners near 'Watchmen' agreement

20th Century Fox and Warner Bros are allegedly "close" to making a deal that will allow Watchmen into cinemas on March 6.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the two parties have held behind-closed-doors meetings over the weekend and yesterday to iron out the legal problems that have threatened the superhero epic's release.

Judge Gary Allen Feess last month ruled that Fox still owns interest in the movie and has the right to distribute the first feature film based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons's graphic novel. A January 20 hearing date had been set in order to decide if an injunction is needed to block the film's theatrical rollout.

However, Warner Bros has declined to press its request to bring forward the hearing and the recent talks suggest that the two studios are near to a financial settlement. Fox also aired Watchmen TV spots during its season premiere of 24 over the weekend.

Spears to appear in 'SATC' sequel?

Sarah Jessica Parker is reportedly keen for Britney Spears to appear in the forthcoming sequel to Sex And The City: The Movie.

According to Metro, the actress told friends that the 'Womanizer' singer could play a young relative of her character Carrie Bradshaw.

"My idea is to have someone like Britney Spears move to New York as my cousin or niece and Carrie would show her the ropes," she is quoted as saying.

Spears was previously rumoured to be making an appearance on the TV show back in 2002, playing a teenage niece of Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall).

Cattrall was reported to have recommended Spears after they became friends when filming the popstar's movie debut Crossroads.

Plans for Sex And The City 2 have not yet been confirmed, but stylist Patricia Fields recently insisted that it "will happen".

Kidman clarifies 'Australia' remarks

Nicole Kidman has insisted that she is not embarrassed by her performance in Australia.

The actress's admission that she "squirmed" in her seat while watching the movie's premiere has led to speculation that she was unhappy with the final product.

However, a spokesperson for the star has now attempted to clarify the remarks, explaining that Kidman was speaking about her tendency to criticise all of her performances.

The representative told the Sydney Morning Herald: "It is quite ridiculous for anyone to believe the reports if they listened to the actual interview. It's hard to believe some of the world's media have fallen for it."

Australia was released to cinemas last month in the UK.

Thread